Civ6 June Update Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t there 2 videos uploaded? So technically there is still one more video to go? I haven’t watched the first video yet but I’m about to now. Zombies and aliens for red death seems ok although I have not played it and not interested in it but I hope this isn’t the path they decided to take with the rest of the updates

Taken from here: https://www.civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-june-2020-game-update-coming-soon/

"The June 2020 Game Update introduces Red Death - Season 2, our new iteration of the PC multiplayer battle royale mode. We’ll be going more in-depth on the two new factions, as well as what’s changed with the season 1 factions, as we get closer to release."

I would have much preferred the zombies and aliens as its own gamemode instead of being an update to Red Death. But the devs saying there will be free gamemodes with some of the updates has me very hopeful!

No need for a new game mode, just add them as optional disaster events. Done, wiiii.

They still haven't fixed those terrible trade bugs. Selling diplomatic favor gives too much gold in early game, so as selling horses/irons, etc.

BTW the domination way to achieve diplomatic victory still works (and is still the best way under disaster 2), owning 6 capitals give you -30 however you get +50 per turn from future civic, and +24 from suzerain all CS, +5 from government, so you actually get +49 per turn, all you need is to do carbon recapturing as much as you can.

Disappointed...
All these fantasy/sci-fi modes in an historical game are out of place. At first I was neutral to the idea, but when in the last 3 game updates we got 3 random out of place game modes, I'm really starting to fear that precious developer resources are being wasted and civ6 is losing its way.
I really hope those religion changes are not the only thing the core game is going to get...

Now I'm not all that interested in the red death either. But fantasy/sci fi out of place?

Are we sure?

So, +1 housing has been moved to Gurdwaras (makes sense to synergize with the +food), and Pagodas have been given favor instead. On the other hand, Dar-e-Mehr change seems minimal but logical: as the bonus is reset when pillaged, I think it's fair to avoid RNG pillaging by natural disasters. But it is not a major change as Anton seemed to advertise.

Culture Bomb aded to Warrior Monks was not in Burial Grounds before?. I guess Burial Grounds would be then either removed or overhauled (something related to great people or tourism, maybe?)

On the other hand, it seems the structure of the video is: Oh, we forgot to explaing what we did for all players on may, so just use the first half of the video for that. Then, the second half are the new things.

IIRC, Lay Ministry has been always that way (as Stewardship does for science and gold in Campuses and CH), and as a Founder belief, the income generated goes always to the religión founder (independently if the city is theirs of of another player)

Okay, so perhaps the change was simply a wording change to possibly be less confusing. I had no idea that it worked that way, and rarely if never picked it, so that probably explains why I was confused.
harbors with shipyards + 100% adjancy bonuses was one of my favorite production strats already and this is WAY more relevant on way more type of maps/civs. very excited. If i cared at all about a meta game for this game this would definitely be "meta-defining" lol

The production savings alone will make this a much more dominant strategy. It's a lot easier to build a single holy site than it is to build a harbor+shipyard. Perhaps one of the biggest changes would be an indirect bonus to the dance of the aurora/desert folklore beliefs. If I think I have a chance at getting work ethic, having an easy 5-10 or more production for all those cities can be huge.

You all do realise that there’s going to be a patch every month until at least March next year right?

The religious belief tweaks are good, and there’s a lot more needs fixing... but it wasn’t all going to happen this month.
It kind of shows where their priorities lie in the balance patches though. They’ve done these religion balanced before, and it still doesn’t fix the system’s problems. Meanwhile, a bad unit progression system and a lack of incentives for you to build tall have been apparent for quite some time. The fact that their priority was to tweak religious beliefs again doesn’t give me much faith (no pun intended) that these patches are going to seriously improve the game.

‘Warrior Monks’ getting a buff is nice and was needed. I am not sure, if culture bomb is the best choice, though.

Those monks will still get outdated very fast.
With the recent addition of the Nihang, a great concept was introduced, that could have also work for warrior monks. I was hoping for something like that, but now, as their balance pass was done, I doubt that they will be re-visited again.

- No fix for the sootsayer exploits.
- No balance or fixes for the problems with the apocalypse mode.
I have a very strong feeling that they won't be doing it. It's the Apocalypse Mode, an optional game mode that is meant to be more crazy, it's not meant to be balanced.
It kind of shows where their priorities lie in the balance patches though.
On the other hand, they might hold off balance changes because it may become imba again when newer updates hit (and we'll be getting that all year) so they may decide to hold it and implement it when they're quite certain that the game won't change much from then.

Also, I like Zombie&Aliens update, not because i play Red Death much, but because the devs stick to "give more options to modders while holding off .dll source code" policy, and modders can now use their associated stuffs (both gameplay and artworks) for their own mods (i sense a new zombie mod coming up very, very soon).

I can't watch the video right now. What does "Warrior Monks get a Culture Bomb" mean? Do they add tiles to a city when built or when they defeat a unit or what?

Now I'm not all that interested in the red death either. But fantasy/sci fi out of place?

Are we sure?

We also got some cool sci-fi scenarios in civ4, I'm not totally against it...but again, 3 times in a row, two after waiting six months for any news. I will lose interest if this trend continues. I don't play civ for this kind of content, there are better options for that.

I said I'd be disappointed if we didn't get Kevin's cat. I was not disappointed. :D

I can't watch the video right now. What does "Warrior Monks get a Culture Bomb" mean? Do they add tiles to a city when built or when they defeat a unit or what?
Warrior Monks belief makes Holy Sites culture bomb now, like Khmer or formerly Burial Grounds.

Hmm, not hugely sure about the religion changes in that screenshot. They do add good bonuses, for sure, but wow - Jadwiga or Kristina will go absolutely huge with them (as will other diplo/rel civs). I can't imagine how much Faith I could pull in with that, and Kris could really, really rack up the DF if she's built for suzeraining.

I have a very strong feeling that they won't be doing it. It's the Apocalypse Mode, an optional game mode that is meant to be more crazy, it's not meant to be balanced.

On the other hand, they might hold off balance changes because it may become imba again when newer updates hit (and we'll be getting that all year) so they may decide to hold it and implement it when they're quite certain that the game won't change much from then.

Also, I like Zombie&Aliens update, not because i play Red Death much, but because the devs stick to "give more options to modders while holding off .dll source code" policy, and modders can now use their associated stuffs (both gameplay and artworks) for their own mods (i sense a new zombie mod coming up very, very soon).

When I mean balanced I was not meaning outside its context, more like... playable.

For example the frequency of dissters not being adjusted for different map sizes, or the frequencies of volcanos wildly changing to make room for other disasters due to the 1 per turn limit, the absence of progression of disaster intensity in the mode, the magic disappearance of all disasters in the final stage and the lack of any point to the global warming besides triggering the comets, and the absurdity of the concept of the comets being tied to the stages of global warming.

Also the lack of a modern model for the sootsayer, or its total lack of purpose as an offensive tool.

Also the game breaking ammount of aid requests.

That is what I mean with the mode requiring fixes and balances. The mode is not fully fuctional or complete in my opinion. Being optional content is not an excuse.

They keep adding new things that are not fully functional, without acknowledging the problems the game has. This is the problem.

And Im saying this from a place of love to the concept of the apocalyse mode and the civ game. But more important than giving us more broken toys, is to fix the ones we have so we can play with them!

Last edited:
We also got some cool sci-fi scenarios in civ4, I'm not totally against it...but again, 3 times in a row, two after waiting six months for any news. I will lose interest if this trend continues. I don't play civ for this kind of content, there are better options for that.
I mean yeah I agree, I'd rather they spend time on the regular game than spinoff modes for the most part.

Though I liked the CivII fantasy scenario. It probably didn't take as much time though--simplified trees, unit upgrading, etc. It was a little ahead of the curve, though, in that each civ had its own set of "uniques."

Red Death is cool, I guess, but how often does anyone here play that mode?
I have to say that I have appreciated it a lot more during lockdown within the pandemic. It makes MP with civ more accessible due to time constraints, and is significantly different enough to be a entertaining experience. The fact that it's free basically makes it a solid social standalone based on the Civ engine that Firaxis is freely giving away (to civ owners, at least).

My biggest concern with the religious changes is they don’t really support the religious Civs that need it the most.

In fact, thinking about it the biggest winner from the changes is Australia because the can reliably secure a +3 holy site with their ability and now that could bring them hammers. And Australia was already heading towards Gran Columbia levels of tedious efficiency, so it’s sad to see the rich get richer.

Earlier ways to secure a religion would support the Civilisations whose entire kit revolve around it, would have been more appreciated given they are the only ones who can be frozen out of their game. Off the top of my head, a pantheon that awards GPP per turn.

Sometimes I genuinely wonder if the devs actually play their game. I realize that sounds a bit harsh, but stuff that we’re posting in this thread and others has been a problem for a long, long time. And instead of fixing those core issues, what we get is... warrior monks give holy sites culture bombs? Is this a joke?

I mean, these are the people that it took basically three years of the game’s lifespan to realize “oh whoops, our game has a huge production scaling problem and coastal cities are kinda awful”. And while that patch solved those issues rather elegantly, that’s pretty much the only patch I can think of that meaningfully improved the game. Every other patch has just been sort of a dressing of new content or minor tweaks don’t fix any of the core problems.

Yes, I realize I’m being harsh and that we should also wait until the complete patch notes are out. But, the fact that developers chose to highlight these religious changes tells me they think that’s the biggest takeaway from the patch. And, since we’re in the middle of a patch cycle, we should be very critical of the game and point out the stuff that needs fixing, because now is the time when they can fix the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom