Civ7 now includes Denuvo

my grief with DRMs in general is , i am a paying customer and as such i am entitled to a reasonably working game without any 3rd party programs running in the backgrounds. if i am not playing multiplayer or releasing mods why does my copy of the game need DRM? another point that makes me angry is when the DRM is cracked the pirated copies are without it and the game is arguably better for them the non paying customers. so why do I have to be punished for something that others do while the guilty get a better product? the whole industry needs a better method then this

Oh, I remember the day Witcher II was released - preordered it. Could not play for 12h. CDRed thankfully did not add any in Witcher III.
Baldur's Gate III also do not have any, and it did rather fine.
No Man's Sky - dumpster fire of release, no DRM, and still after 8 years - free updates and Hello Games are doing fine.
What is 2k so afraid of (piracy my ass - CIV games have better numbers with every iteration) to force a Denuvo onto well established franchise like Civilization. Well, we will see.

So the limited copies, is that strictly per day (IE 5 ie 24 hours, 10 in 48, 50 in 240) or is there a lifetime limit?

I'd also want confirmation that online is absolutely unnecessary after installation. I have enough headaches with Battlefront II denying me access to my paid for content that I'm basically allergic to that idea.

Online is unnecessary after installation - you'd have to use Steam Offline mode, but that's true of any Steam download.

As for the install limit, I don't know, I think that varies by publisher decision. It would be ridiculous not to allow repeated Steam downloads like (checks notes) every single Steam game I own.

Slight clarificarion: no game with Denuvo released since early 2023 has been cracked.

There’s a good chance Civ 7 could take years to crack, or never be cracked.

It is, however, possible to pirate games with Denuvo without cracking it. Anyone who wants to check for themselves that post 2023 games with Denuvo have been pirated will find it easy to verify this. But, this method is less convenient for the end-pirate than piracy-via-cracking, so it may still protect sales somewhat.

I'd recommend you to look up all the issues Securom caused ;).

And then there was also Sony BMG rootkit scandal. Honestly, there are enough examples of problematic DRM (and DRM related) software, and of companies lying about them, for worries about Denuvo to be far more than scaremongering. Gamers are far from being rational, but when a company persistently has a bad reputation and there are an endless stream of anecdotes about the negative side effects of its products, it's unreasonable to completely dismiss the wisdom of the crowd.

I remember all the ranting when Civ 6 came out and the PC players had to go through Steam. Everyone on this website was up in arms over it. Apparently with 8K + hours with the game....it hasn't affected me. I am sure Denuvo won't affect me playing Civ 7 either. Sounds like after a year it will be taken down.

Brew God

Not happy about Denuvo. It ends up punishing the honest people and it is extremely intrusive. Hopefully there will be enough pushback that they drop this. Maybe some cancelled preorders will get 2K Games to pay attention?

Now, at the moment, the choice is play it on PC with a crappy, intrusive, drm or iPad with no mods.

Great...😵

Last edited:
Nope. There are no “reports” of this so I don’t know what you’re referring to.

Empress was the only person cracking Denuvo but there’s no proof they’re arrested. Just an unsubstantiated rumor (which describes most of the accusations in this thread actually).

They posted about getting arrested in 2021 but they are known for posting trolling comments or stories, and they did crack games post-2021. They also said Irdeto offered to pay them $200,000 a month or something. Just a lot of random stories.
You have me in a catch-22 here. I could post links substantiating my comment, but that would get me banned. If I don't you get to say I'm full of it. What would you do? 🤷‍♂️

Not happy about Denuvo. It ends up punishing the honest people and it is extremely intrusive. Hopefully there will be enough pushback that they drop this. Maybe some cancelled preorders with get 2K Games to pay attention?

Now, at the moment, the choice is play it on PC with a crappy, intrusive, drm or iPad with no mods.

Great...😵

Well .... You could use get it on the Nintendo Switch on the PC if you know what I mean 😉

Last edited:
Online is unnecessary after installation - you'd have to use Steam Offline mode, but that's true of any Steam download.

That part needs clarification I think

A consequence of its use of unique hardware-based code paths, Denuvo Anti-Tamper requires an online connection periodically as the system environment of the operating system changes with new hardware and/or Windows updates. While everything that might invalidate the token stored on the storage drive is not fully known, this happens frequently enough for the anti-tamper protection to be described as requiring a periodic online connection every fortnight or so. This is generally not an issue or hindrance for those with an always present online connection, but can be an annoyance for people primarily using roaming data. Players gaming offline for a long period of time can also suffer if proper preparations are not made in advance to ensure the validity of the offline token. The lack of transparency on storefronts regarding this process from Denuvo Anti-Tamper is a hindrance for potential purchasers, as it means people might not be aware of its presence and periodic online requirement before purchasing a game that, after purchase, the purchaser may find unplayable when an online connection is unavailable.

Agreed. Incredibly scummy.
Which brings me back to my wondering about this being a test about people behavior.
They 100% knew Denuvo will be added and kept it before launching preorders.
They 100% knew there will be some traction after this comes out.
Now what kind of player base disapproval it will be - that will determine if it's even worth it to keep it.
I'm 100% against any kind of piracy and I do buy any media I think would be of my interest.

I already said this won't have any kernel access.
I said it will obfuscate code (which may also harm modding), and it will have an impact on usage, if hardware changes occur. (or environment in case of proton on linux)
Would people care? I don't know....

Top Bottom