1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civics and Reforms

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by Enginseer, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Yeah costs do go up for sure.

The issue here is that the early game advantages afforded by GPT + no-penalty civics are far more important than anything later in the game. In other words, what you do in the early game will have a bigger impact on your game than what happens later. It's not right to claim that there is a 1:1 relationship between what happens early game and what happens later. Just because you will spend a lot of money later on civics, doesn't mean you need to boost them earlier. The early boosts have a much bigger impact/cost ratio.

You can basically use the civics for early game advantages, then technically abandon the system altogether having already received the boost you needed unless you can afford it.

The maintenance system can be good to keep advanced civs in line. I don't think it should be changed.

The only changes I would suggest are removing the GPT bonus from the default civics (retaining the happiness modifiers) and adding some penalties to the early game civics.

If it's preferable for the default civics to have a bonus, then GPT is the best option. Giving civs 1 of each yield would have a much bigger impact than 5 GPT would as some yields are worth more than 1 GPT ( Production = 2 Gold for example).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

I'm surprised people are taking balance concerns now for so long.

I've been in a experimental build of Civics and Reform, so I can't really comment on any of these since the said civic was reworked.

3. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Do share :p

4. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Chieftain

I too am eager to hear about this.

5. Enginseer

Some early civics are locked and requires certain conditions to be active.

Slavery for now with its reworked bonus requires at least one active conquered city.

Ingenious Craft which always resolved poverty now requires a monopoly.

And so much more.

6. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Chieftain

Looking forward to when you feel it's ready to share. Does this 'experimental version' include the military civcs?

7. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Those conditions seem very fair.

8. Enginseer

military civics acted as unit supply but unit supply got a rework so theres really no point to implement them

9. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Chieftain

That's a shame they seemed like an interesting concept. I'd of loved to have a way to hire mercenary units that didn't involve devoting to the authority tree.

I still think there'd be great potential in a civic branch dedicated to manipulating the supply cap. I often play peaceful and would love a way to trade unused supply cap for something like more useful, while at the same time having a switch I can flip when someone pokes me wrong, like how America was before going into either of the world wars.

However, I can also see how that could be exploitable. You're the tech-priest here I'll trust your judgement.

10. RoAdd

RoAdd Chieftain

I think i may found a bug.... Whenever i select the ancestor worship civic, the altar building is only available for the turn I enacted it. After that the building isnt available any more, thus all started altars stop being constructed. Enabling paganism and ancestor worship after that again, enables the altar to be built for another turn, but it seems that after each re-enabling it gets boosted more and more(the faith, culture and turism bonus), also the tooltip on the building list is wrong.

Spoiler Mod list: :

Vox Populi 43 civs EUI
    Community Events
    VP-EE Compatibility
    Wonders Expanded
    City States Evolved
    Civ Names By Policies
    Civic and Reform
    CommunityPatch Mod Compatibility
    EE
    Industrial Buildings
    Medieval and Renaissance Building Pack
    National Wonder Collection
    Reforestation
    Unique City States
    World Congress Reformation

All of them updated at the latest version.

A screenshot is put as attachment.

Attached Files:

11. Enginseer

Ah very interesting. I know the problem. I will fix soon this week.

12. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Has the altar issue been fixed?

There's also another bug. One of the civics has no information on it. I think it was Pacificism.

13. Enginseer

It should have been. I'll check Pacifism.

14. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

The release on Steam is still the December 3rd release. That one still has the bug.

15. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Thanks for the update!

16. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

@Enginseer With the recent reductions in overall yields and the modifications to the impact of gold in the early game, I've found the +5 gold afforded by the initial civics to be a little too strong.

With the new happiness changes, the unhappiness reductions afforded by the civics are also becoming very beneficial.

Overall the initial experience is significantly impacted by the mod.

Given that, would you consider eliminating the gold bonus from the initial civics? The happiness reductions help with expansion til you get new civics online and can later provide buffers if your happiness sinks low enough. I think that would be reasonable.

black213 likes this.
  17. Favorius

Favorius I am not a Chief!

Hello,

does this mod create some complications with calculation of happiness? Gold demand of populations are unrealistic. 13 pop city has 9 poverty unhappiness.

Thanks for help.

18. Enginseer

They shouldn't be. The civics add barely any few yields and even then the AI often change to those civics to get those yields to make up for it(which means you should too!)

19. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Chieftain

For the end game, is the proper way to deal with ballooning building maintenance costs to simply switch back to the original civics? I've been wondering how to deal with that in a few games I've had with this mod installed.

20. Enginseer

I'm going to scale back the maintenance cost and nerf its benefits significantly due to the various balance changes made in the past months (as the original intent of this mod was to buff some weaker playstyles).