Civics Improvements Suggestions

You're missing out if you're not using divine cult. I mean, yes the gold and culture hits are significant drawbacks, but the gold in capital bonus is nice especially if you're capital is the head quarters of your corporations and/or a holy city. And the half unhappiness from over population is a happiness boost you won't see anywhere else and the game and effectively makes health the limiting factor. I cannot stress how good this benefit is and it only gets better as the game progresses and cities get better and there's more food.

I see your point, I think I used it once. All I remember was the revolution instability getting out of whack from 10 turns of anarchy (changed other civics too).

Because of the way I start out, I usually don't get a religion until Medieval Era (typically Asatru, the AI doesn't favor Rudder very heavily). I've never had my capital as a holy city, but it usually has very heavy commerce. I don't have many happiness problems, and if I do I solve them in other ways. By the time I switch to a Religion civic, I've got a good core of at least 6-9 cities. Hamstringing their gold and culture output turns me off big-time.

Perhaps I'll try something different next time. Thanks for the input.

Edit: Forgot to add that I usually get Phi leaders out of the random pick, so I run SE when that happens. Between this and Caste, I'd effectively have my GP output halved. I select Prophets to offset the penalty from Caste. If Caste were to lose that GP penalty, I could see Divine Cult being more of an option if I get a Religion earlier.

Last edited:
I have an idea for another civic feature. In parallel to <iPopulationAngerModifier>, I think we should have <iDistanceAngerModifier> to increase or decrease the anger caused by distance to the capital. I think Survival and Republic would be good candidates for INCREASED anger from distance, because Survival is "you're on your own" and Republic could use another feature to make it unpalatable for large empires, while Federation and Virtual could decrease anger from distance. This would distinguish Federation from Monarchy better. Monarchy may be cheaper but Federation is happier.

Sounds like a great idea, especially for Republic. I really have a problem with being able to use Republic with a HUGE empire, I'm talking 100+ Cities.

Mind you, once you build the Voting link in EVERY city, its a moot point about maintenance costs, and distance to palace unhappy.

Sounds like a great idea, especially for Republic. I really have a problem with being able to use Republic with a HUGE empire, I'm talking 100+ Cities.

Mind you, once you build the Voting link in EVERY city, its a moot point about maintenance costs, and distance to palace unhappy.

I don't think distance to palace unhappiness is affected by government-center status. I don't remember it in my last game.

Voting Links are supposed to nearly eliminate city maintenance, but they require some hefty infrastructure first. Each city requires a power source + either (Communication Tower and Computer Network) or Network Node + Voting Link. For an established city, it's not bad, but it's not cheap for a new city.

I don't think distance to palace unhappiness is affected by government-center status. I don't remember it in my last game.

Voting Links are supposed to nearly eliminate city maintenance, but they require some hefty infrastructure first. Each city requires a power source + either (Communication Tower and Computer Network) or Network Node + Voting Link. For an established city, it's not bad, but it's not cheap for a new city.
Having a massive empire means having a large number of high production cities with nothing better to do other than produce wealth or caravans for newer cities. with a civic that allows you to rush buy buildings it is entirely possible to get the necessary infrastructure up fast in new cities. It's still not cheap but for huge empires money becomes less and less of a problem especially as the Industrial Age production bonuses kick in and your like 100 base hammer city is making 200+ hammers so producing wealth becomes quite good.

Just an idle thought: Why does Free Market allow you to rush production? That is conceptually speaking government involvement in the economy, the antithesis to a free market society.

I think of it as the government participating in the market like everyone else. If you as the government want something, it's yours as long as you can pay for it.

I discussed which civics I thought should have rush with gold back on post 480 of this thread. That ability used to be too common and I wanted to scale it back.

Speaking of production rushing another quick idea:

Am I the only one that feels that Planned Economy also needs a way of hurrying production?
It's reasonable why it cannot rush with gold or population but...

How about a new Hurry with Culture mechanic? When you want to hurry with PE the cost is subtracted not from your gold pool but from the cities culture pool.

What do you think?

Speaking of production rushing another quick idea:

Am I the only one that feels that Planned Economy also needs a way of hurrying production?
It's reasonable why it cannot rush with gold or population but...

How about a new Hurry with Culture mechanic? When you want to hurry with PE the cost is subtracted not from your gold pool but from the cities culture pool.

What do you think?
I am not sure about this. By the time I get to the industrial era most of my cities will be influential or approaching it. Once my city can use the 3rd ring I pretty much do not care about culture, and am generally generating hundreds of cpt. This would make hurrying with culture pretty much free.

I am not sure about this. By the time I get to the industrial era most of my cities will be influential or approaching it. Once my city can use the 3rd ring I pretty much do not care about culture, and am generally generating hundreds of cpt. This would make hurrying with culture pretty much free.
Maybe...
But if your cities are falling culture levels back? Losing those 3rd rings? :)

It's just an ide anyway...

Here is a wrinkle I thought of for the endgame. What if Post-Scarcity was "No Corporations"? I think in the post-scarcity environment, corporations would lose their primary driving force; the profit motive. Game-wise, it would mean choosing between Post-Scarcity's power, especially with Omnifactory, and the effort of establishing and spreading a corporation -- or more than one.

Post scarcity should remove the corporations effects, but no the corporations them selves.

ALL corporations should stop providing bonuses, can't be spread, but remain in the city for NO BENEFIT.

Then if you move from Post scarcity * I don't know why you would*, the corporations are now subject to the civics rules on corporations.

Post scarcity should remove the corporations effects, but no the corporations them selves.

ALL corporations should stop providing bonuses, can't be spread, but remain in the city for NO BENEFIT.

Then if you move from Post scarcity * I don't know why you would*, the corporations are now subject to the civics rules on corporations.

It would be the same as the "No Corporations" flag on Planned. Under a No Corporations civic, existing corporations continue to stay in their city. But what you can't do is:
  • Found a Corporation
  • Train Executives
  • Use existing Executives to spread Corporations
Raw Corporation benefits also stop. Corporate STORE benefits do not, but I put in a bug report about that.

Corporate stores are a building, and they need the resource to work.

Do we count the Corporation as the resource, or the actual item it consumes.

I agree, the store should stop working, same as a broadcast tower without power.

Some ideas regarding the Religion civics.

Do Divine Cult and Intolerant need to reduce War Weariness? While I can see why it's plausible, I don't want "do-everything" civics and I think this is a cut we can make. If necessary, Intolerant's civic building can get reduced WW.

No Corporations is already a flag we can have on civics. Would it be possible to have a similar No Religions flag, for Personality Cult and Atheist? It would outright shut down religions if the flag is on an active civic. The one case where I can see a problem is if a civilization with Shwedagon Paya switches to a No Religions civic and then is the first to a religious tech. No Corporations prevents corporations from founding, but that is done either by a deliberate act without Realistic Corporations or a repeating check with RC. I wouldn't want to see a religion get locked out, although it might be interesting. But I think it would be better if there was a way to let another civilization found the religion.

And some Rule civic ideas, since I got enough feedback to tell me that wanting to cut them is a bad idea.

Can we get better mechanics on the President civic? It's very vague. It gives +15% production and +15% military production, balanced by -1 happiness/20% tax rate. This civic is one of the reasons I don't like the Rule category that much. Some of the others, like Bureaucracy and Virtual, I'm happy with.

Also, I came up with some ideas for other Rule civics. I don't mind choices within a category, as long as they are conceptually different and use different mechanics. Adding entire categories really increases the number of interactions, so that's where I want to be much more careful.
  • Theocracy: Requires Scriptures tech, or possibly even Priesthood. This is a religious civic that doesn't belong to the Religion category. It would be incompatible with Secular/Cult of Personality/Atheist. Most of its benefits would be tied to a religion, so it would be a bad idea to adopt it before founding a religion or at least having it spread to your cities. It definitely has No Non-State Religion Spread and possibly steals +2 XP from State Religion away from Intolerant. I think of +XP as indoctrination or training, while +% military production from State Religion is the "crusading horde".
  • Junta: Requires Military Tradition tech. Government by a professional military; I'm thinking of "Prussia is not a country with an army, it is an army with a country". Increases military production and military building production, but doesn't increase unit XP. Might be allowed to draft a small number of units. Decreases relations with other leaders (that military is going to want to go somewhere).
  • Parliament: Requires Liberalism tech, maybe Social Contract. Liberalism isn't that high on the trick count right now and its tricks are limited (free tech, Encyclopedia). This is the popular counterpart to Senate; Senate is more oligarchic. I could see this as boosting happiness and culture.
  • Autocracy: Requires Absolutism tech. This is the "enlightened despot" of the 18th century. Not sure on the mechanics, but I've wanted to give Absolutism a civic ever since I made the tech.
  • Corporations: Requires Megacorporations tech. This is a cyberpunk trope, so I'm putting in the Transhuman Era and not the Modern. It's a government controlled by corporations. Incompatible with "No Corporations" techs. Mechanics would be similar to the Corporate economy civic, but ramped-up since the corporations are in power.

You could have the wonder be prevented from giving access to Atheism, perhaps?

Top Bottom