1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 and Steam(works)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by ori, May 31, 2010.

?

How will the integration of Steam(works) influence your decision on buying Civ5?

1. I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

62 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. I will probably buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

93 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

94 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to do so.

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

9 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to do so.

48 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  8. I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

27 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.

103 vote(s)
    15.5%
  11. I will definitely NOT buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. I will definitely buy the game, because of Steam.

24 vote(s)
    3.6%
  13. I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

196 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. MaxCiv

MaxCiv Warlord

I see it and am able to put it in my cart. I just did a search in Steam for Civ V, then on the page I have the option to buy either the regular version or the deluxe version.

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

apparently it is onlyavailable in the US now - the German site certainly doesn't list it...

3. Raneman

Raneman Warlord

People of CivFanatics: Steam is nothing to worry about! I have used Steam for 3 years and never had a problem with it (Except for one time I got a keylogger, but Steam support fixed that for me and I was playing just fine again.) It gives you a community, automatic updates, and lots and lots of free features for both the developer and the consumer. Plus, Steam often hosts insane sales. (19 THQ games for 50$, for example.)

4. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Modders don't want auto-updates. We have community here. a Mod has shown that the insane sales are not really sales at all, but often only slightly cheaper than other avenues.

5. Raneman

Raneman Warlord

Other avenues? You mean piracy? I suppose $2.95 for TF2 wasn't very cheap. Or 19 games for 50$... or everything in their winter sales.

Moderator Action: Trolling. Do not imply others are committing piracy.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Chieftain

Let’s see …

Had Steam for years - no problems with dozens of games on it…
    Was always going to buy Civ the very moment it came out …

So that must fit under the “I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision” vote.

7. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

With all due respect, but this poll has too many options.

I suggest a poll with only two options: a vote for Steam or a vote against Steam, similar to the poll in the thread that was recently locked. It would more accurately determine whether the posters here wanted Steam or not.

8. sorrytron

sorrytron Chieftain

i guess i'm not quite up on what's going on in the civ world these days. are you guys saying if i want to play civ 5, steam will be a mandatory install?

9. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

No, other avenues like second-hand purchases and using sites like ebay, Amazon and other so on. I think you will find most Valve-owned games are a special case like TF2 and it's highly likely buying them directly from Steam is a good idea. Other games like Civ4 Complete when they were on sale were only marginally better in price than standard prices on ebay even though it was reduced by 50% or more (I forget the exact figure). In other words, most of the time sales on steam bring the price of a game down to the normal market price and during non-sale times the prices are best described as ripoff, just like what ebgames offer 99% of the time too.

There is no advocacy of piracy going on here.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

This poll has every possible option, in respect to DLC and Steam.

In your poll, the "i don't care" option would already be missing, that doesn't make it more accurate.

And please do not poste any more steam polls, if they are not covered by this thread.
    We'll probably shut them down, we also want to discuss here something else than just only steam.

11. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

That is the problem. It's so cluttered the main objective of determining whether Steam is or is not wanted is obscured.

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Not if you take a closer look at it ;).

267 voted, 48 "I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam", 12 "I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it."
    60 out of 267, so around 22% are unsatisfied with this descission.

13. Raneman

Raneman Warlord

To all the people going "Steem iz guna stael mah eprsuhnal infomashun, lol." Please avoid the following things:
    Credit Card Companies
    Turbo Tax
    Mint.com
    Paypal
    Facebook
    Digital Distrubution services of all types
    Everything relating to the internet
    Sharp/pointy objects
    Electrical outlets

Steam is about as likely to steal your information as Paypal, Mint, Turbotax, your credit card company, etc.

14. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

Paypal is pretty bad, worse then Steam.

I'll use Steam for budget crap. I'll NEVER use Paypal.

15. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Guess what, I use none of those things, and I probably never will. Besides the last 4, but well...

16. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Paypal has gotten better. It used to have the login page unsecured (normal PHP page) and then sent your private info over SSL, which isn't smart. Within the past year they changed that and the login page is now SSL as well.

For those of you worried and/or interested in computer security, Steve Gibson's "Security Now" podcast is an excellent choice.

17. Serenya

Serenya Chieftain

Steam made me less likely to purchase the game, because it is required to have an account to play. It took more than ten minutes to get an account created because of their captcha system, and I was about to give up. I looked -- there was no audio alternative, nor other alternative for those with visual difficulties. There is no email or phone contact me. Their (online) support form requires creating *another* account which, of course, uses a captcha! I've never had this much trouble with a captcha before, and thus have to figure that if I had this much difficulty, gamers with other visual impairments will have even more.

It was sufficiently off-pointing an experience that I'm now reconsidering my original decision to pay up for the Deluxe version, simply because I don't want to buy from Steam -- I'd rather just buy from Amazon now.

18. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Valve are usually pretty good about this sort of thing, adding colour blind assists and cues to their games in the options menu. I'm sure they'd want to know if their account creation just plain doesn't work for you.

19. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

lol at the hatred of steam for a slightly annoying registering system.

This forum had one, I had to try a couple time before getting it right, it didnt make we want to use the forum any less out of vegence.

Moderator Action: Flaming/Trolling. Don't make fun of another persons impairment, nor should you imply they made statements that they didn't.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

20. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

My issue is that they don't let you pay for anything, unless you give them rights to draw from your checking account. Combine that with mandatory binding arbitration kangaroo courts if they hose you over, and the inherent security risks, and you've got a recipe for disaster. No thanks.