1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Methinks you are straying off topic a wee bit but I'll indulge you since you are polite and respectful. :)

Civilization 5 is basically Starcraft Civ. :eek:

You've got 1UPT in both games and the idea is to swarm the opposition with military units.

You've got paranoid, xenophobic opponents who know literally nothing about diplomacy. Starcraft is much the same. ;)

You've got flavourless resource depots (they are called cities in Civilization 5) to collect resources in both games.

The tech tree in Starcraft actually might be deeper than Civilization 5's.

You've got Giant death robots in both games.

Etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong. Starcraft I and II are amazing games. They aren't Civ games though. They are simple games for people that like beer and pretzels games. Nothing too stressful on the old noggin.

Starcraft I and II sold extremely well. Firaxis and greedy 2K Games took note and tried to emulate them.

2. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

DLCs are terrible value for money, full stop. I've decided not to buy any, for any game, regardless of reviews for that very reason.

3. Furycrab

Furycrab King

Some of it is terrible, worst example to this date being Oblivion Horse armor I think... and some of it is mediocre, however there's some really cool stuff out there. Fallout NV has some killer DLC and arguably they would have never gotten to release this kind of content if the concept didn't exist.

Civ 5 DLC I find to be somewhere in the middle, if you like scenarios they seem pretty cool, but if you don't it's not like they are forcing you into buying them... Civ 4 expansions kinda felt like that to me, where if you didn't like everything that was bundled in the expansion it felt like really bad value.

4. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Warlord

That's silly. Besides a superficial political similarity, the Danish civilization is nothing like the Zerg! I don't think the Zerg even like beer.

5. markevo

markevo Chieftain

I remember a few months ago 2k were posting on the 2k forums that CivWorld is Sid's "baby and "his own project".

At the time alot of people felt this was unfair that he was working so hard on "his own project" whilst Civ5 remained broken.

2k's response was that it had nothing to do with them or the devs for Civ5 and they were completely committed to Civ5.

Now we see CivWorld in Beta testing and from the posts you see from 2k it looks like they have quite alot to do with CivWorld and are putting alot of time in to it.

Yet Civ5 still remains broken and past the point of being able to be fixed IMO.

6. Thormodr

Civ World is the cash cow. 2K Games' shareholders need to be satisfied.

Civilization 5 is not a priority as there is less $$$ in it.

7. Archaic

Archaic Chieftain

bought the disc. so i wouldnt have to use steam (i have dail-up :( ) but even paying 50 dollars for the disc i still had to download the game from steam i thought that was a bit crappy, it took me 40 hours to download the game!!!

8. Thormodr

Sorry to hear about that.

Discs cost money.

2K Games must cut costs at all cost. ;)

9. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

To be fair, a lot of other software companies prioritise like this as well although may be not with the deception included (both game and business software).

Yeah, I agree with the Civ V point; if you like scenarios, then they might just be worth it. I'm sure however that if Firaxis get around to doing an expansion for Civ V, you'll see all the "DLC Civilizations" bundled in as well. It's the "early-adopters" that are going to be paying the extra money. Personally, I got the free extra Civilization from Firaxis but have no interest in buying the extra Civilizations, even if I actually liked the game more than I do now. The only exception would be is if Valve/Steam had a sale and the price was brought down to $1.99 per Civ as that is how much I think they're worth - not $4.99 or $9.99.

With the Civ IV expansions, especially with Warlords, I waited until a couple of patches were released before buying it. I'd much prefer an expansion than DLC as today, companies are tending to "nickel and dime" moreso than release quality content as DLC (The horse armor is one I had forgotten from Bethesda - OMG, that was ordinary and I never bought it). There are exceptions (Fallout New Vegas DLC, as the example you name for instance) but mostly, they're fluff added on with comparatively exorbitant prices.

But if people are willing to pay (and in my mind, be generally willing to be ripped off), then the industry will continue to release DLC content that (mostly) isn't worth the price they want for it.

10. Thormodr

Good post on the quarter to three forums:

It's an interesting thread with many different viewpoints.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=57760&page=170

11. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

It's generally accepted that "newb" = new player and "noob" = bad player. Simple error.

And AFA I'm concerned civ5 is a dead game. An expansion with new real features would be the only possible resurrection.

12. Thormodr

Fair enough. I'll stick with with Newb from now on.

Not expecting an expansion but if they made one that totally remade substantial parts of the game, it might become acceptable.

Not holding my breath however.

13. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Interestingly ... I have just started playing "Final Frontier" which was made by John Shafer (designer of Civ 5) and it was really well conceived, but it was really slow and had CtDs. I upgraded to FF+ 1.651 (developed by others) and it transformed the game.

So funnily enough I suspect Civ 5 may get better after a couple of years.

14. Thormodr

That is possible. However, as a word of caution, Soren Johnson did a talk on AI in computer games (good AI versus fun AI essentially) where he stated that he fought with 2K Games to get a lot of the source code released for modders pertaining to the AI. 2K Games finally relented while grumbling about legal issues.

It is entirely possible that without someone with the pull of Soren Johnson around, this may not happen for Civilization 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcuQQ1eWWI

15. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Which IMO, would be a serious blow to the mod community. Civ V is in need of some tlc from the mod community. As it stands now, I have no interest in playing the game. No immersion, no real fun factor, and pretty much every game played is the same way....

2K can tout all they want about how the game "is a big wet sloppy kiss" to the fans, but i'm a wee bit older and actually prefer some foreplay to my enjoyment, and this game doesn't even begin to come close.

16. Thormodr

Yeah, the game needs a heck of a lot of work from the modders to bring it up to par. We'll see if 2K Games allows Firaxis to devote any resources to such a project. That is unlikely as that would cost $$$ and if it interferes with their DLC sales though, it will be a very definitive NO!

A total conversion mod might save this turkey ala cIV with hexes, perhaps limited stacking, city states done right, no idiotic global happiness, etc.

Likely not 2K Games shareholder friendly though.

17. Tatran

Tatran Deity

When the competition with CivWorld starts, we'll soon find out what the future of civ5 will be.

18. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

Not so random musings:

1) With the myopic focus on money from turn zero I wonder why we start with agriculture instead of banking.

2) This game needs a major "economy" makeover.
    ... maybe, something other than "anything/everything for a buck".

3) Bring back variety ... please.

4) This is the first Civ game I've played where I get nauseous at the thought of having to actually play to a victory.

5) Easy victory does not equal FUN 8)

6) Boring, tedious, monotonous gameplay does not equal FUN 8)

7) Note to self: invent new words to describe how truly disappointing this game currently is.
    ... maybe, monotediously borinauseous.

19. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

I've bought EU:3 Chronicles to see how it compares to Civ 5. However it will be an unfair comparison as EU;3 will have had lots of updates and expansions versus the virtually nil of Civ 5. But before that I am playing and enjoying Civ 4's Final Frontier Plus 1.651 (developed by dozens of modders), which transforms the playability of the original Final Frontier (by Jon Shafer)

20. Thormodr

It may initially seem to be an unfair comparison however it goes to the heart of the two companies' philosophies.

Firaxis seemed to have the theory that if it ain't broke, break it anyway.

Paradox has been steadily improving EU since the very beginning, adding on layer after layer and making it a better and better game over time. Today we have a near masterpiece. When they get around to making EU4, they will incorporate ideas from other games they've made to make it even better. (Crusader Kings II, Sengoku, etc.)

Firaxis chose to throw away so much of what made Civ fun in order to chase the casuals/newbies and mass market. Bad decision.