1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

I actually purchased it, and am having a great time. In fact I can't put it down. It's a proper wargame, with meaningful trade, alliances and diplomacy. The units are completely accurate, the maps pretty to look at, the research fun and meaningful. :)

Oh I forgot to mention. It's called Empire Total War (with DarthMod Ultimate Commander)

Well did you really think I meant Civ V? ;)

2. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Chieftain

O_o
    Yeah, you got me there, I was just reaching for my spear when I've got to the punchline.

Well done sir :goodjob:

I'm playing Shogun 2 now, but Total War series overall are MUCH more interesting than Shafer's little wargame can ever hope for.

3. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Do we rant about the game? Mine is about the Diplomatic Victory, especailly on easier levels.. all you have to do is ally yourself with few city states and that's it.. not sweat -.- so boring, not fun at all, atleast in Civ IV the votes were split up but all I can expect is that every leader will vote for themselves!

5. gaiko

gaiko Chieftain

Huh, that does look interesting, and I'm not into fantasy history. Just alternate history.

But it shows other producers smell blood, and are gunning for Civ's disgruntled fan base. I think Paradox/AGEOD too may be iteratively pushing their engine in the Civ direction, as in PON.

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

The old saying is that "Nature abhors a vacuum". Firaxis/2K Games decided to try to make an AAA title and abandon their long time fans so the middle market is wide open for this type of game.

I have often thought that if we could find 50,000 Civ fans that truly desired a great game that could pledge 1,000 dollars apiece then we could have a spectacular game.
    kind of like sponsoring or commissioning artwork. 50 million dollars would make the game of our dreams. Sell 3 million copies and you've grossed 150 million. Take off the expenses, repay the investors and you've still got a decent profit for everyone involved.

Maybe it's simpler than that. We just need to find a billionaire that is bored and likes history and is willing to take on a challenge. :D

7. Thormodr

I am not sure if this is good news or bad news but Civ Rev 2 has been cancelled.

As well as this, for all people that are hoping for an expansion pack for Civilization 5 or profound changes in general, don't hold your breath.

Supposedly, Firaxis is working on a multi-platform RTS using the unreal engine.

So between that and Civ World, there can't be that many resources going towards Civilization 5.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/27/firaxis-working-on-unannounced-strategy-title-civilization-revolution-ii-canned/

Twitter:

http://t.co/aDQ5kIg t.co/hcE60SC —Firaxis working on UE3-based RTS for consoles & PC. Also Civ Rev 2 was canned— t.co/pYNVwfw

8. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

Firaxis is soon to announce:

Civilization: Renegade

As a throwback to 2002, Firaxis want you to play the leader of a civilization in a full-3D world as you run around and shout orders at your minions.

Much like in Civilization V, Civilization: Renegade has been extensively play-tested so we can give you the best experience of any Civilization game to date. For instance, the game will assist you in moving around the world by using standard shortcut keys such as I-J-K-L instead of WASD or Up-Left-Down-Right. We believe this will give you an unparalleled experience. Using the 'N' key, you'll also be able to build Mines anywhere you like.

There will be many types of weapons in the game that you'll be able to use to destroy enemy Wonders of the World. The Giant Death Robots will return however now you only have to research "OMG, this tech-tree is so linear and stupid" before being able to build them.

Look forward to many patches after the game is released that will allow you to test your skills with each and every change we deem to make without actually fixing any real problems. Making some problems worse is also a part of future gameplay. Embrace it!

We hope you'll join us in welcoming Civilization: Renegade to the Civilization Franchise. Remember, it will support DX11 and DX12 graphics (Windows 8) and they promise to be very, very shiny. We know you'll want to buy it on this point alone.

Batteries, intelligence, respect for the genre, Civilization franchise knowledge or money not included

9. jtb1127

jtb1127 Chieftain

Very funny rant Sadan01. I look forward tot he new game. I just hope my os will allow it. Also: Will I be able to purchase a bunch of useless weapons as DLC?

10. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

You have discovered Archery!

Archer - 3 :strength: 1 :move:
    Cost: 25 :hammers: or 0.49$ each

11. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Chieftain

That's a great idea for a MMO civ game. If you don't want to grind - just buy things from in-game shop. Pay2win.

12. Bad Brett

Bad Brett Chieftain

Wow... So they decided to close my old thread, for reasons unknown:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391085

I wonder if the same rules would apply to threads like "Funny Screenshots" or "1000 clues you've been playing too much"... Anyway, the thread obviously still serves a purpose since updates on nice Civ games, such as Civ Renegade, are posted here now.

Moderator Action: Please do not publicly discuss moderator actions. It's against the forum rules. You're welcome to inquire about a moderator action via PM, but not in public.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It's a mystery to me that CivFanatics want to hide the fact that most members, especially the old ones, believe that this game is a total disaster. Tons of negative reviews, are the best way from keeping people from buying the game, forcing 2k and Firaxis to do something about the situation.

13. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Chieftain

Aww, this thread was closed? What a shame, such a bag of laughter it was...

Moderator Action: You saw it in the quoted post: Please do not publicly discuss moderator actions. It's against the forum rules. You're welcome to inquire about a moderator action via PM, but not in public.

14. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

Crap. I haven't seen that thread before - I don't visit CivFanatic's much now, what with all the player and website love for Civ V - no, seriously.

However, this is pure GOLD:

I don't think you know how "on the money" you could possibly be with those screenshots if T2 continue the way to abandoning everything that made Civ great just to make Civilization palatable for the "casual" generation.

As another example, get a copy of Colin McRae's Dirt and a copy of Dirt 3. Play both. Dirt 3 is so easy compared to the stages/rallies in Dirt. It's pathetic. :rolleyes: Oh but it has SHINY GRAPHICS!!!!! :rolleyes:

The examples are endless. It's a shame that you seemingly have to remove any "difficult" or "time-wasting" concepts from a game to have it be considered worthy of a purchase by this current generation (MMOs are a great example here). I believe it goes a long way into proving why their (Generation Y's) attention-spans are only a few seconds long at a time (literally). Some of you Gen-Y's here will be exceptions! :) But you don't matter as you do not make up millions of dollars to the industry.

15. logintime

logintime Chieftain

It happens an unfortunate lot with successful game franchises of all types. The first couple games are fantastic and innovative. Then the designers start playing it safe, either because they've run out of ideas or because they fear they will make the game too complex and thus turn off newcomers (something which, in my experience, is rarely ever the case). They don't want to threaten their cash cows. So when sales inevitably start slacking, they blame complexity rather than design stagnation, and then they decide the fix is to streamline the game to appeal to new people. This decision, of course, removes a lot of what made the franchise good to begin with and still manages to not bring in new people. They then look at the even-lower sales and say:

a) we need to go back to what worked in the first few titles (thus replicating them poorly and failing to innovate, starting the cycle again)
    b) we need to streamline it more or change formats to appeal to a broader base (thus deepening the decline)
    c) there isn't a market for this series anymore. Let's focus on some other titles instead (thus ending the franchise for the foreseeable future)

Examples: the Final Fantasy series, the Silent Hill series, the Resident Evil series, Simcity games, Empire Earth (oh god, Empire Earth- that last game was unplayable), Forbidden Siren, etc.

Civ has begun the cycle. From the sounds coming from Firaxis and their new-found focus on simplified, facebook-style games, I think we're at option b) for the long haul.

16. Thormodr

Your take on the situation is spot on. Casualization 5 was done on purpose and it's just going to get worse. It's a trend in computer games. Thankfully Paradox hasn't degenerated into this malaise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic thread on Realms Beyond Civ. 191 pages long. From the very first announcement of Casualization 5 all the way up till now. It interesting to see how people reacted to the debacle.

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3820

Also, a comparison of the different Civ's Intro videos by Sullla. Pretty good article with some interesting conclusions drawn. Lol.

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/introvideos.html

17. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

Yeah, I really hate the intro video and left my copy of civ5 running days at a time in the background so I wouldn't have to load it again (before I knew how to disable it - and even then you wait in a black screen!). It never gave me an epic impression, but maybe that's because I already found the game to be drab and am recoloring my memory to suit my opinion.

Either way I can't remember the other videos. I do remember the previous games did feel more epic from load to end (end-game playback by turn? Yes please! Let me relive this adventure!).

I haven't touched this game since January.

18. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Chieftain

This picture could be in Civ5 funny screenshots thread. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Extremely bad engine coding. 2011-08-06_00002.jpg

19. Thormodr

Lol. It's like the land based wonders that regularly appear in the sea.

Can't say I'm surprised though with a game that was released far, far, far too early.

Shoddiness all around.

20. Tatran

Tatran Chieftain

The map grid and national borders could have been done much better also.