1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Yep. The City States are basically vending machines. Lol.

As for the DLL, I highly doubt they will ever release that. Soren Johnson said he had a heck of a fight with 2K Games in order to get the SDK released as there were supposedly legal issues. Who is going to go to bat for Civ players this time?

I'd love to be proven wrong of course but I think Firaxis/2K Games is much more interested in churning out DLC than releasing the DLL. :sad:

2. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

It disappointed me to hear from several people that the latest patch has made the game even worse because when I read the notes I thought it might help.

IDK why I even keep checking these forums really. There's really no more hope for this franchise at all anymore.

3. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Maybe we should go to bat for ourselves? We could direct the negative energy in this thread to positive energy and demand the DLL in the loudest, most unified voice possible. It's a long shot to be sure, but it's a lot better than doing nothing.

4. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I want to see the city-states focused on in an expansion pack. They really feel like someone had a cool idea, got far enough with the implementation that they weren't worth tearing out (they are a marketing coup, after all - tons of positive coverage by reviewers who only had time for half a game before they had to rate the game), but never had time to put in the suite of features that would make them really shine. Mainly I feel like this is how it had to have gone down because I know how much I could do with a few programmers to make them awesome, I suppose. But I want to see it happen.

5. Thormodr

I agree with you. I think there should be a petition thread asking for the DLL.
    At least make Firaxis/2K Games tell us something.

6. AlpsStranger

Perhaps one of the higher-profile community members could start it? I really don't think I'm the best candidate for OP.

7. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

No petition is needed. :) We are actively prepping the DLL, and hope to have more for you shortly once we have it in a good place (and it's almost ready for beta). Our next step is prepping the engine to hot-load the DLL, rather than restarting the entire game when we want to load a mod that uses the DLL.

We'll keep everyone posted.

8. AlpsStranger

Wow... :king:

9. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Which is a shame because scenarios like MaxRiga's use city-states in an interesting way. Rise and Fall looks like it will use them in an interesting way as well but city-states feel....I don't know, off?

The problem I always had with thinking this way is that it doesn't make much sense. Modders tend to add mechanics, new units, new buildings, etc. for free. DLC Civilizations tend to be more professionally made, as are the scenarios. After all, I strongly doubt we'll ever see 3D leaderheads like the ones in-game made by artists for a long time.

DLC and DLL isn't mutually exclusive is what I'm going at here. Sorry, tired and rambling.

Actually, while Hotseat does have some problems, I think the game overall has improved with each new patch. I wouldn't be saying that if I didn't think that. :)

Now THAT is an interesting matter I didn't think of. Since mods are modular loaded compared to restarting the game ala CivIV, things are probably different.

Thanks Dshirk for the news. I've been seeing you around here a bit lately. :lol:

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Thanks for letting us know. :D

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Probably should sticky that post like J sticked the Worldbuilder fix quote. ;)

12. Thormodr

Good to see my petition got some action. ;) Lol.

Anyway, I must say I am encouraged to hear this news.

Talented modders can mold and shape the game into something much better than is being currently offered.

That way, everyone can be happy.

13. Songkok

Songkok Chieftain

Wow, if there are some great total conversion mods, i just might go and buy ciV.

14. Bechhold

Bechhold King

If city states actually attacked each other and even had random personalities, albeit without the figure head, that would improve things a lot IMO. What is the point of City State X wanting City State Y wiped out when X does nothing?

15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I have seen CSes fighting each other of their own volition....only in two games so far, but one CS came close to beating another CS, and as both were my allies, I blocked the other CS off so that it couldn't be destroyed. Human shields work in Civ V! Lol.

It's true it would be nice to see CSes being more proactive rather than reactive, though. CSes should make leagues with other CSes and players that fight against other leagues of CSes and AI, etc....after all, that was what dominated ancient, medieval and to a certain extent, modern (Cold War) politics and warfare.

16. Thormodr

17. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

I have recently replayed maps and strategies.
    Even playing same strategies on same maps,
    ... outcomes varied significantly.
    I have previously compared Civ to a chess match,
    ... but Civ5 feels less like chess and more like a crapshoot.

Is Civ5 strategy watered down ...
    ... for replayability?
    ... for console compatibility?
    ... for players unable to think three moves ahead?

Civ5 is still playable and enjoyable as a game,
    ... but it is no longer my choice for strategy immersion.

18. Furycrab

Furycrab King

On the articles, I just have to disagree that CiV destroyed the franchise. However I'm not getting into that in the rant thread.

On the G4 Deathmatch... It went up against Fallout. I mean come on... What did you expect? I rather like CiV, but none of the Civ games ever held a candle to me than playing Fallout 2 as a kid. I've clocked more hours on CIV and CiV than Fallout 3 and NV, but ya I'm only sad that console gamers beat out Fallout in round 3, it still beat GOW though.

19. Thormodr

The franchise has been dealt a mighty blow with the release of Civilization 5. Whether it will be a death blow is up to Firaxis/2K Games. If they are willing to humble themselves, listen to the fans and deliver a product that pleases all the different kinds of people (look at cIV for inspiration) then this franchise can be saved.

Otherwise, I don't think we are likely to see a Civ VI or if we do, it will be even more for the casual gamer/soccer mom/farmville type player.

The market has spoken. Well, at least the people that are settling for this crap are speaking loud enough to put a smile on Firaxis/2k Games' faces. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Greatest swindle since the great train robbery of 1963. :sad:

20. Bechhold

Bechhold King

The advisers in this game are worthless so much so that advisers in the Sim City franchise are more helpful/random when it comes to changes within the game. They were a waste of programming resources that could have been used elsewhere.