Civilization 5 Rants Thread

The engine itself is not good enough for such high system reqs. Some of the graphics are really ugly. Trade posts and rivers for example. Compare it to a game with similar system reqs - BF3. Even in Alpha it looks great in DX9. Most people run it on PC with Civ5 recommended settings.
If Civ5 had moving vegetation, wind, birds and day-night cycle...

The engine itself is not good enough for such high system reqs. Some of the graphics are really ugly. Trade posts and rivers for example. Compare it to a game with similar system reqs - BF3. Even in Alpha it looks great in DX9. Most people run it on PC with Civ5 recommended settings.
If Civ5 had moving vegetation, wind, birds and day-night cycle...

Actual huge maps as well would be nice.

I think it is either a crappy game engine that can't handle them or it's the game designers discouraging them in order to try and make 1UPT work.

I'm surprised that Civivilization 5 didn't do ambitious ans original things with such a power.

OK, I love unit animations and sounds, but that's not enough. On the graphical and sound topic alone, they could have done really better, like Moonflare said. Birds singing is the least of them IMO. I insisted before, Civilization 5 to represent the sun glittering on armors, and sun reflects on water, for a deep diving into the environment. I was surprised and disappointed they did nothing.

Also, on a gameplay perspective, I would have think it would have been about time to change the things a little, like simulating civilizations evolutions, rebellions (in a playable and not frustrating way), civil wars, allegeance system, factions, feodalism simulation (through civics or whatever they would call them, aka SPs) and another range of phenomenon that would determine the events and changes of the civilizations.

I just don't want just another Civ... I played extensively to 2, 3 and 4, I think i have had enough of 4X standard experience. Now I'm looking forward a heady, original one. One that could simulate the fall of Rome for example. One that would handle well the difference in civilizations of the same technology. (supremacy of Rome over barbarians) One that would automatically give this supremacy to the player at the start of the game, (with the help of other and new factions settling the Earth at the start of the game, a little like CSs now but more extended, with possibilities of expansion, be it mechanical -like the player's with creation of settlers- or organic, growing by a system of self-expansion with many factors) the key civilizations being the classic ones that pop out at the start of the game in a classical Civilization fashion.

All this would not necessarily complicate the game. Except if you want to master all of them with precision, like "what is the chance for a city to rebel next turn"? But such a game wouldn't be about that. It would rather be about feeling the events just like we do in reality. That's why the mechanics should come close to reality. Not with every and single factor of course, ah ha, but with intuitive ones at least.

Granted, such a game wouldn't be easy to do. Maybe the developers could start to do a simplier game, adding elements one after the others. Like in expansions, or from a number (Civ 5, Civ 6, Civ 7...) to another.

Source code Source code Source code :mad:

It is the only thing that'll redeem Civilization 5.

Hopefully it will be released in 6 months to a year.

Then modders can get down to business. :D

... Civ 6 Civ 7 ...
The strategic gaming design planning department has taken into consideration the simplification improvements of Civ 5 and developed some initial ideas for Civ 6
Spoiler :
and not to be out done, the research and development team has recruited even younger programmers for Civ 7
Spoiler :
which will ensure a huge audience, by tailoring the game to the lowest common denominator. Civ 8 is promised to be the ultimate in strategic simplification.
Spoiler :

Thormodr, I re-posted your links, it didnt work for me...
That's strange as they worked for me before. Thanks for the help. :)

I am very upset that they have gone so far to try to confine the voices of anger into one little thread where no one will hear us. All rants deserve their own thread!

I'll be honest I don't really see the point of all this rage, yea sure Civ 5 could have done with a bit better features but I honestly think people are going overboard with the whole "Civ 6" parodies :/

I'll be honest I don't really see the point of all this rage, yea sure Civ 5 could have done with a bit better features but I honestly think people are going overboard with the whole "Civ 6" parodies :/

It's not a parody. It's the future of gaming(not Civ only).

Civilization 5 was released at least a year too early due to the greed of 2K Games, who wanted to placate their shareholders.

Even 10 1/2 months later, the game hasn't even reached mediocre status.

People have a right to be pissed off and let their voices be heard. I wasted $60 on a

total dud, personally and I'm not happy about it. :mad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the parodies go, it's the trend in gaming unfortunately. :(

Well, i think that's adequately answered the question I had!

I have not played Civ5 since about November. It was woeful.
Everything I've read about it since would seem that it has not really addressed the initial concerns.

Playing the game screamed that it was released too early, and I genuinely resent paying up front on the principle that I'll get a full, enjoyable game at some non-specific time in the future (which apparently still hasn't arrived).

If people do enjoy the game, then that's good for them. Speaking personally, it's not enough.

Civilization 5 was released at least a year too early due to the greed of 2K Games, who wanted to placate their shareholders.

Even 10 1/2 months later, the game hasn't even reached mediocre status.

People have a right to be pissed off and let their voices be heard. I wasted $60 on a

total dud, personally and I'm not happy about it. :mad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the parodies go, it's the trend in gaming unfortunately. :(

Well, true, and I do think a lot comes of opinion of the player

For example, Civ V did remove a lot of the "Classical" Features of Civ, i.e Square Grid and Unit Stacking, I for one enjoy the new system, purely because I could never grab around the Stacking, since it took AGES to build up army and AGES to conquer a nation, but at the same time, there is a lot of weird glitches, and my copmputer is not "as good" to run CiV, and I miss features like the expanded Diplomatic Victory (Apostolic Palace and U.N options), the Victory Conditions are somehwat too easy to gain on easier difficulties especially Diplomatic Victory :/

I wish I could have the Hex and No-Stacking along with Policies in Civ 4 then I would play Civ 4 over Civ 5, I do also hate paid DLCs too.... I only have Double Civ only because a friend gifted to me :/ Though I was lucky and bough civ 5 for onyl 16 euros :D

With the newly arrived announcement for two spankin DLCs, I have nothing to offer but my middle finger.

Downloadable Content For This Game
$4.99
Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)
Cha-Ching!
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mediterranean
Cha-Ching!
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Asia
Cha-Ching!
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Americas
Cha-Ching!
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mesopotamia
Cha-Ching!
$7.49
Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca
Cha-Ching!
$4.99
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia
Cha-Ching!
$4.99
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings
Cha-Ching!
$4.99
Civilization V: Explorer’s Map Pack
Cha-Ching!

$7.49 for both Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World (or buy one of them for $4.99)

Sum total for all of the separate DLCs (with the exception for special deals or buying some of them in packages) is around $$$$ 49.39 US Dollars!!! Add that to the damned game ($49.99 US Dollars) =

$ 99.39

With the newly arrived announcement for two spankin DLCs, I have nothing to offer but my middle finger.
Well, it's good that DLC are optional then ;)
Or you buy the GOTY-edition (20 euro), and the remaining DLC (Denmark+Explorer, Korea+wonders), which would set you back at 35 euro for everything.
And if you wait for a 50% off sale (which comes round quite often), then you'd have the whole package for €27,50. I'd say that's quite a good deal, actually.
(If it was the expansion-model instead of the DLC-model it'd be more expensive, even. The game would be around 20 euro now, but the expansion (which would arrive around now) would be full price and wouldn't be on sale soon, so you'd have to pay 20 (game) plus 20 to 40 euro for the expansion.)

But for early adopters it's expensive (as it always is, by the way, either through expension or DLC), but I've gladly paid for it all.

Downloadable Content For This Game
$4.99
Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mediterranean
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Asia
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Americas
$2.99
Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mesopotamia
$7.49
Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca
$4.99
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia
$4.99
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings
$4.99
Civilization V: Explorer’s Map Pack

$7.49 for both Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World (or buy one of them for $4.99)

Sum total for all of the separate DLCs (with the exception for special deals or buying some of them in packages) is around $$$$ 49.39 US Dollars!!! Add that to the damned game ($49.99 US Dollars) =

$ 99.39

That is huge! Some people who think that those DLC have a reasonable price need to think again. I don't see any improvements with those DLC so they would cost as much as the game itself.

Well, it's good that DLC are optional then ;)
Or you buy the GOTY-edition (20 euro), and the remaining DLC (Denmark+Explorer, Korea+wonders), which would set you back at 35 euro for everything.
And if you wait for a 50% off sale (which comes round quite often), then you'd have the whole package for €27,50.

But for early adopters it's expensive (as it always is, by the way, either through expension or DLC)
Read the post.

I said, "with the exception for special deals or buying some of them in packages."

Top Bottom