Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Well, this "AI" playing to win has to be one of the greatest myths about this game... to me it does not, it doesn't even get close to something similar to "trying to win"... were the myth started, I have no idea. But it is just that: a myth.

My posts were mainly to underline the fact that the AI is programmed in one block, and don't really have any personnality from one civ to another.

Example: mass denounce. In that game, when you put your little finger up, you get denounced by everybody.

What I don't understand is that if AIs play to win, they should declare turn 1, because first we play the game for winning and are a menace since turn 1. They should ally and kill us very soon, but hey it's just an AI so give it overwhelming bonuses too.

Ya, its called scenarios.

(Regarding Carpet of Doom aka CoD)

I must admit I don't get it yet. I haven't read all the posts yet, only quick searches over the last few pages.

And especially if unit merging was possible, I see no reason why 1UPT has to lead to CoD.

Well exactly, and ofcourse it is possible, but it is not implemented. Btw I still hold my oppinion, that 1UPT, the way it is now, is not a feature, its just a trick to make you buy the game. Otherwise this 1UPT is just a lame simplification of SOD-MUPT, there is no effort involved in this nerf, save for it requires tons of rebalancing and AI modifications (which latter failed anyway), which effort could have been put into implementing new features or keeping older ones. The whole game is a scraping of real features with some tricks like 1UPT to make you feel that these compensate for the loss. The graphical improvements are minimal, so the game may even not be worthy as a base for something meaningful... The whole game smells like a cheap trick, Its just a copy-paste of Civ4 with half of the features eliminated and some dummy features introduced, which are marketed in a way to make you feel as if there is a creative work behind it...

I reformulate : where do you see scenarios here ?

The first one is all about perma-war. Granted, not so for the other five, but I'm pretty sure Samurai and Mongols can turn into one too!

RANT: at this point I must have clicked I AGREE to the obnoxious screen after you start a new game with mods hundreds of time :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well exactly, and ofcourse it is possible, but it is not implemented. Btw I still hold my oppinion, that 1UPT, the way it is now, is not a feature, its just a trick to make you buy the game.

The problem might be is that they seemed to rework everything from the ground up, and didn't quite have the manpower to do that. Sometimes there will be an awesome battle that shows the greatness of 1UPT, but usually the AI falls flat on its face. Everything in this game could use more time in the oven, and while the patches have brought the game up, the progress has been pretty slow. If 1UPT ever truly proves it's worth, it'll be a while yet.

Nukes...so annoying.

Getting nuked by Korea every turn, after 5 turns I just had to save and exit...ridiculous how nukes can be used without consequence and cannot be defended against.

Ruins the modern era. :sad:

The problem might be is that they seemed to rework everything from the ground up, and didn't quite have the manpower to do that. Sometimes there will be an awesome battle that shows the greatness of 1UPT, but usually the AI falls flat on its face. Everything in this game could use more time in the oven, and while the patches have brought the game up, the progress has been pretty slow. If 1UPT ever truly proves it's worth, it'll be a while yet.

Yes, and nobody asked them to do that, thats not fair to spend 80% of manpower on derivative tasks they introduced themselves. There are particularly no straight features in this game. Its empty. I dont think this problem can be solved by improving AI. 1UPT itself should be reimplemented, like introducing a tactical battle field, like in HoMM. But this will never happen I guess... Only hope is the CoreDll. Community will reintroduce stacks, and the game will get better, but still a big failure overall because of all the "creative nonsense" which added nothing substantial. Btw, isnt it fishy that there aint any news on the DLL? Probably the game is in Visual Basic, and they dont want to disclose it, or it would hurt their DLC buisness...

Civ1: in the beginning there was void... But the sun shone upon the sleeping earth...
Civ5: in the end there was void...

Edit: lol, I had to correct Civ6 to 5, confused it with Homm6, hope though the latter wont fail, it was just released today, I think.

please look at this

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2011-10-13 à 19.13.04.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2011-10-13 à 19.13.04.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 274
Well, this "AI" playing to win has to be one of the greatest myths about this game... to me it does not, it doesn't even get close to something similar to "trying to win"... were the myth started, I have no idea. But it is just that: a myth.

It plays to win, it just does it very very badly.
Or looking at it another way, if it didn't play to win it would be harder to beat.

Yeah, the manual says some are peaceful, some are warlike, but "they all play to win".

If only they knew what the conditions to win were, instead of (eventually) blindly stumbling into one.

The AIs sure don't seem to understand culture wins at all. Several times I have seen an AI close to a culture win throw it away.

One in particular that sticks in my mind was Siam at the far end of a huge pangaea. They had completed 4 trees and only needed a few more policies to complete the fifth. So I set about building a navy - no way I could reach them by land in time because I would have had to fight my way through. So I sail this massive fleet the other way round the world and approach their end of the pangaea. I check the info screen to see if they have completed the fifth tree and started Utopia yet... and they have instead opened a 6th tree. Expecting an epic final battle, instead I got epic AI fail.

Another thing they do is I find an AI with a small number of very well developed cities which looks like being a serious threat for a culture win later. Then suddenly they start spamming settlers and destroy their policy rate by settling every scrap of tundra and 1 hex island they can find. Gandhi in particular does this a lot in my games.

Playing to win my arse.

Top Bottom