Civilization 5 Rants Thread

What angers me more than anything is having to wait for the stupid intro video to load. Also the loading times when I load a saved game.

It is pretty annoying, I agree. Just one more example of the game being rushed out far too early. At least a year if not two years too early.

Anyway, welcome to the forums Khause1124. :)

We all hope for a better game in the future. Whether it be Civ VI (doubtful with 2K Games' CEO saying Turn based strategy games are not contemporary) or from a younger and hungrier company like Ino-Co.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Derpy Hooves
Pumpkin Pie is wonderful. ^^ Especially with a little spice like nutmeg added and whipped cream/ice cream on top. Once a year at Thanksgiving is perfect. :)

You can disable the videos. I don't remember how but my game starts right into start menu.

FACT from the Fact Sphere: 3/4 of Civ5 budget went into creating that video.
Why is it so annoying you ask? It's poorly written. It tries to create an epic scene but fails miserably. And it tries to cover my main problem with Civ5 - an unoptimized engine.
It's a resource hog which doesn't look or feel good enough for such high system reqs. It's slow at everything. Loading times, turns. It can't support huge maps. It's a disaster. They could've used a GOOD engine for Civ5 - Source, Unreal engine or others. Why did they waste time and money with this piece of crap? Who knows...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

- well to be more honest they have added 4 more wonders and 3 more resources, and maybe one more building? But I still fail to see, how could have these lazy improvements made so radical changes as some people are talking about.

I mean really? Since 2009? Thats all what hapenned??? Isnt it evident that there is something really wrong here... Most games have 2 expensions by this time.

Dude... Please l2metaphor.

What I believe is the case here is that you like Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie, so what was promised to be Apple Pie but turned out to be Pumpkin did'nt matter to you.

That the pumpkin pie was 'half-baked' initially pissed you off and because you've got good Pumpkin pie now you've forgotten about the taste of a great Apple pie and stopped caring because you where too hungry for ANY kind of pie.

Also, if I'm a ranter dwelling on your arbitrary 'suckyness' timeline then I must've just been too stoned to notice all the brilliant improvements the last couple of months I played? And all the other people that have complained since september 2010?

From what I can tell the major changes since 2009 have been:

The AI is more agressive (lol)
Stone (lol)
Nerfed ships because AI did'nt understand them (lol)
Nerfed horses because the AI did'nt understand them (lol)
Denouncements (lol)
Less crashing (yay)
Couple of interface problems that should have been fixed on release and could only have been there if the beta testers where their own extended family.

You see, they might have taken out alot of the grit in your pumpkin pie but they replaced it with charcoals, now you might say, but coal is less likely to chip your teeth and it only has a bit more taste then grit.
To which I say, but they promised Apple Pie, not a buggy war-simula-Whoops...

Also, I'm from holland, we don't eat pumpkin pie here and it honestly sounds horrible.

What's up with the mentions of 2009? The game was released Sept 2010, so we're just over one year on. Is it because of the following post? :confused:
Or intentionally talking about changes since pre-release versions of the game?

I don't base my buying decision on pre-release hype or reviews, only whether I would like the game (or pie). What was "promised" by anyone should've been taken with a grain of salt or with skepticism (as what some did here). We got a half-baked pie upon initial release but now it has turned into a great pie. Too bad ranters only remember and dwell on 2009-up to Sept 2010. :)

What angers me more than anything is having to wait for the stupid intro video to load. Also the loading times when I load a saved game.

You can disable the intro video.

/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5\UserSettings.ini

SkipIntroVideo = 1

However the intro video tries to partly mask the game loading time, so if you disable the video, you'll have a black screen for an amount of time (that depends on your machine) while the game loads.

Rant:

Okay, maybe more laugh out loud than rant.

My last game:
... Darius is first civ I meet, he is friendly
... I trade open borders, I want to scout the map
... Turn 45 he is seething mad, I check on my scout
... Darius has 6 cities, from pop 5..12
... His territory is filled with his UU
... I had just my capital, pop 5, 7 military, 3 domestic
... When I stopped laughing, I wiped away the tears

Question:
... does scouting the AI's territory irritate them?
... or was it just time for me to go away?

Playing on King or harder difficulty settings just makes me miserable!

After dominating as England on Prince difficulty, I decided to play again on King for a greater challenge. I started out well, but then Babylon completed Archery (presumably) and began spamming Bowmen, so I knew we'd be at war soon. I trained Spearmen and Archers to try to fend them off, but when they attacked I was mobbed by nearly three times as many units, and Babylon seemed to be able to produce them faster than I could kill them. I simply couldn't compete because of bonuses the AI receives at King difficulty. Perhaps most frustrating was that Babylon's 5+ Bowmen bombarded my walled city's defences to nothing, but couldn't capture it because I had killed all of their Warriors, and the AI wasn't smart enough to train any melee units that could actually capture the city. Because Babylon had military superiority they wouldn't settle peace, so I decided to spare myself the pointless frustration.

I rage-quit and came on here to vent.

Returning to my original point, playing on the higher difficulties is such a miserable experience that I'd rather stick with Prince (Normal) difficulty, wherein the AI doesn't receive such unfair bonuses.

My hats off to the Players who can play Civ on the higher difficulties, but I don't like it. I hate that the AI receives such unfair bonuses (on top of the help the AI already receives regardless of what difficulty you play on). Why can't the dev design the game so that the AI plays SMARTER and is more of a challenge, instead taking the easy way out by allowing them to blatantly cheat, which makes it nearly impossible to compete with them. I'm eager for a challenge, but when I know that the game has stacked the deck against me, it just makes me want to quit -- or play on a difficulty level wherein the AI can't cheat so badly.

Just a note on computers.

I have:
... Sandybridge w/12gb
... i5 2500k
... nVidia 460 w/1gb (refurbished)

Result:
... all I see is the yurt vent hole
... then copyright screen
... Sandybridge w/4gb
... ... the old man talked a whole lot longer
... extra memory made all the difference on my machine

Rant:

Question:
... does scouting the AI's territory irritate them?
... or was it just time for me to go away?

The AI will probably hate you no matter what you do. But if you open borders, it will just speed up the process. They will see how weak you are and declare war.

On the other hand, you know from the start that they will act this way and that they are horrible at war. Get some cash and buy a couple units, play defensive and watch them commit suicide like lemmings running off a cliff, then take whatever of theirs you want.

FACT from the Fact Sphere: 3/4 of Civ5 budget went into creating that video.
Why is it so annoying you ask? It's poorly written. It tries to create an epic scene but fails miserably. And it tries to cover my main problem with Civ5 - an unoptimized engine. ...

Ah yes, but it's the first thing they see when they come in new to the game. The big kick-a marketing asset as shop-floor demos seldom go any further. They think "Civ4 + this vid oh God Almighty... how good does it get?"

Even I, having seen the intro vid first time, got so excited I thought to myself "now we're cooking with fire" :blush: Even though I have read the forums.
I bought the game... :blush: :blush: :blush: ... therefore I rant.

If we're being nickle-and-dimed with DLC anyway... maybe this would be conductive to game quality:

Game ships with functional but basic placeholder art. Maybe even ASCII for tile-based games.
Optional graphics pack (pretty game world and interface)
Optional experience pack (go nuts with effects and try to fry modern hardware)
Optional video pack (intro, victory, defeat, in-game)

What's up with the mentions of 2009? The game was released Sept 2010, so we're just over one year on. Is it because of the following post? :confused:
Or intentionally talking about changes since pre-release versions of the game?

PoM, 2009 and early 2010 were when all of the pre-release hype (and discussions, arguments, skepticisms, etc.) happened. This happens in all mainstream game forums = some building up unrealistic or false or misunderstood expectations and still cling to those even well after release.

A point on CFC history at least: Civ5 was announced on 19/2/10 and the Civ5 forums were created the same day. The announcement was rather out of the blue, and there wasn't any particular hype leading up to it (that is, there was nothing in 2009).

PoM, 2009 and early 2010 were when all of the pre-release hype (and discussions, arguments, skepticisms, etc.) happened. This happens in all mainstream game forums = some building up unrealistic or false or misunderstood expectations and still cling to those even well after release.

It's just that Derpy Hooves and bitula were writing as if the game was around in 2009. Not sure if it was a mistake or they were talking about changes since the pre-release version of the game. I mentioned your post because you referred to 2009 though in a different context.

I just bought civ 5 and look only at civilizations. I was full of rage already for people which design this game in first 10 minutes. All europeans countries have such a bad characteristics.

England WTF? Sun Never Sets? They didnt conquer world because thay had faster or better ships OMG! They had great diplomatic skills and they kept balance of powers in Europe! They were in alliance against Spain, France, Prussia when these countries were strongest in Europe! And in civ 5 is no diplomaticy? Even civ 2 had bettter diplomacy then this.
France +2 culture per city? Thats joke :D If someone should have bonus in culture then it should be Italy or Greece. France had largest amount of citizans in Europe and biggest army in Europe for centuries. They always defend their lands over and over again. France should have:
If France lost control of their city then soldier appears near capital city!
Germany WTF? When i see England, France and Germany i was thinking that this game is clearly design by americans isnt it?
Greece WTF? In Greece was born philosophy, Platon, Aristoteles! I can only hope that this game will dont see any history teacher. (And this article no english teacher) Greece should have:
When Greece discover philosophy then great scientist appears near city.
Ottomans not even close.
Rome oh come on! Yes romans were great builders but not that way OMG!
And Egypt should have:
When Egypt discover masonry then great engineer appears near city.
Russia oh my god!
I am perfectionist and i cant play this game with these civilizations!

So i start playing like Japan and see that guy with 3 katanas and immediately quit game! I dont know Japan at all but i am pretty sure that there never was ruler with 3 katanas on walk in grassland!

So i start again like Persia and see all wonders and raging again! In civ 2 wonders were perfect! My personality just cant play this game help!

Holy Malarkey Bat Man!!!! If France loses a city a soldier appears near the capital! That is funny. :lol: Perhaps a giant Marshal Foch should appear to rally the men! :lol: I love some of the things I read on here. :lol:

Top Bottom