1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

Expansion time for Civilization 5, apparently.

They are reworking the combat system, apparently, as well as the AI. They are also bringing back religion and espionage. Hopefully they'll bring the game more in line with cIV. The sub par global happiness system seems to be intact however. :(

Looks like a mixed bag so far. Still, to be fair, I'll wait and see.

2. Sarda

Sarda Diety

I'm sure as hell not preordering this one like 5, not making that mistake twice. I'll still get the xpac after it releases, if Sulla gives it a amazing review. :p

3. gaiko

gaiko Chieftain

There is no way they could alter the global happiness system without also changing the military unit mechanics (lift the 1UPT limit). Happiness acts to limit pop growth, which limits production potential, which limits units. Otherwise carpet of doom.

The two are wedded at the hip like Siamese twins. This design (flaw) is just too basic to the game.

4. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

You are probably right. The expansion will likely just add onto an already flawed foundation. :(

Perhaps the source DLL will save the day...

5. jamaicagator

jamaicagator Chieftain

I haven't read the whole thread. I assume the main problems (read: AI) have been covered. The fundamental changes (e.g., no stacking, no religion, no health, etc.) are obviously debatable, but I don't blame them for trying new things.

One thing I suspect has been brought up but annoys me enough that I'd like to bring it up again just in case is the inability to zoom all the way out on the map and see the entire map (or at least an entire hemisphere).

6. Bad Brett

Bad Brett Chieftain

Another SP tree? Sounds exciting!

7. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

There are only 1, 2, and later 5 slots for Beliefs, so I doubt there are any trees. Faith also pops special buildings.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

Supposing that this expansion costs $40, what will the total damage for Civilization 5 be exactly? I imagine it will be around $150+ *Ouch*

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The expansion has been announced to cost $30, not $40. And I believe your pricing theory has been addressed by others in the past. ;)

10. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

Yay. I'm so glad to hear that they're adding more mechanics for the AI, which has been proven to not be able to handle current mechanics.

11. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Depends on how much each individual is willing to pay. The game with all DLC sold for around $20 or $30 last Christmas. Personally I bought the game for $40 and none of the DLC yet.

12. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I will buy this expansion full price because I'm a sheep. :)

13. SpyGuy77

SpyGuy77 Chieftain

I wish there was a wb (i know im cheap but still!) because i sometimes dont like waiting for resoures and sometimes the AI declares war for no reason with a really bad miliatary and i conquer them easily. Bah stupid AI

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

I'll give credit to them for pricing it at $30. That's more in line with BTS. Perhaps they've seen the light to some extent.

They seem to be adding some interesting things but if the core game is still flawed, it'll be like putting whipped cream on a pile of sawdust. ;)

Definitely will be the first Civ product that I wait and observe for a long, long time before even considering buying it though.

If the source code is finally released so that modders can do their thing and this expansion is on sale, I'll consider picking it up.

15. logintime

logintime Chieftain

Well, I'll give them credit for working on what looks like an actual expansion, complete with new gameplay mechanics, rather than simply putting together a bunch of cheap DLCs and labeling it an expansion.

On the other hand, many of these features should by all rights have been in the game at release. It's great to see religion and espionage coming back, but it emphasizes how wrong Shafer's vision of what the game ought to be truly was.

I'll be honest though, Civ5 has put such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm not liable to pick this up even if it does end up being decently received. The base mechanics of the game are still terribly flawed (research being tied to pop, global happiness, 1upt, etc.) and while there seems to be some lip-service to improved diplomacy, it looks like their emphasis is still on diplomacy with city states instead of with other Civs.

We'll see, ultimately. It's too early to tell and I'll be very judicious about approaching this xpac. It looks like a step in the right direction... but a step this game really shouldn't have had to take to begin with.

16. Aristos

Aristos Chieftain

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y.

Now more than ever, I am sure that he was fired last year, and rightly so. Even the company is showing how wrong the initial vision was (and parts of it still are), and who else to point to than little Joni? Even then, some insist on defending him... anyways, time is the most relentless judge of them all.

17. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Chieftain

I have to say, although I think CiV ruined the empire building part of the game for <insert Sullla's rant> reasons, some masochistic side of me still wants this game to succeed and be good, and I'm hoping this expansion will be the antidote to the boredom CiV provides me with currently. I'll probably buy it, love it for ten minutes, then decide it still sucks and go back to CIV again having wasted more money.

I'm a sucker like that.

18. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

Same here. I knew there would be bugs in Civ 5 that would require patches, that's normal, and I decided to pre-order anyway. Well... I was expecting bugs, not a badly designed game that was barely half-finished.

This time I will do what I should have done before, wait for a few patches to fix the worst of the bugs and then look for it in a steam sale.

19. Brichals

Brichals Chieftain

That's always a good idea nowadays, but I think to be fair they patched Civ5 into a half decent state relatively fast and they are showing good support now. So the game might be lacking but Civ3 and Civ4 vanilla were nothing like the expanded versions also.

20. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

I'm not convinced of this point.
    I think someone just needed to temper his vision with FUN 8)