Civilization 5 Rants Thread

I sort of disagree. Civ 4 was a radical departure from the first three. Civ 5 seeks to reign in some of the ridiculous things about Civ 4. Civ 5 is far from perfect, and way too easy to win at the highest levels. The big change in Civ 5 is no stacking of units. I'm not sure how realistic this is, maybe they should have limited it to 3 units on a tile? Anyhow, the no-stacking limit keeps AIs from steamrolling you at the highest levels.

I guess its a matter of personal taste. I didn't like Civ 4 from the start, so maybe I never gave it a chance. Civ 5 is a beautiful game, and you can have some great, fun games at middle levels. Too many people seem to be in a hurry to win at deity. There's even some Youtube videos that show you how.

Your right, it is a matter of personal taste. What you call a beautiful game I call a total waste time and money. That's the neat thing about opinions and these forums, they mesh into an ecclectic array of differing viewpoints :mischief:

...and truth be told, you represent the minority in this discussion.

Perhaps you should join other like-minded individuals who enjoy Civilization V in the proper threads.

This is a 'Rants' topic for those of us who don't enjoy CiV to post our disagreements.

Wait, let me analyze this here.

So you're saying that you support the idea of the Civilization franchise becoming a war-mongering one, and not an empire building series which it was meant to be?

Put yourself in a situation where you have all the technologies except Nuclear Fusion, which is needed to build the Giant Death Robot. Suddenly, Genghis Khan and even Gandhi of all people throw a slew of Giant Death Robots towards you. All you have is Stealth Bombers and Modern Armor.

150 Strength versus 80 Strength (Modern Armor). Who is going to win?

You yourself just admitted that you prefer Conquest and Domination victories as opposed to Cultural and Space Race victories. Civilization is a poor fighting game at best. It's recipe for success lies within the balance of research, maintenance, commerce, culture, and supporting an adequate army. Put all focus on military and you got yourself a serious imbalance in the game mechanics.

====

No it's not. I simply think terrible DLC is a bad concept that wants to reach out and squeeze people of their hard earned cash. It needs to be made cheaper. They should also be where they are simply optional additions to the game, you don't need to use them if you want to fully enjoy the experience.

Now I have to pay out money if I want to play as a Babylonian. Not everybody has the option to get that DLC either. And that is just wrong.

Seriously? The donation model? It's more like 'We want your money and since we don't value you as a valuable customer you have to suck it up or quit blah blah blah'.

Once again, the popular saying 'Good things come to those who wait' is applied.

So, what should we do? Wait two-five years for everything to come out and then say 'Oh boy, everything in one package, I guess I'll go out and buy it'?

Some people prefer to buy the vanilla game during initial release just to find out the great new additions that have been built upon from the previous iteration. So far, most people think Civilization V was a huge step backwards. As a once proud fan of the Civilization series, I can't help but agree with them because there is so much wrong in this game. Who designed it? A group of game developers that actually care or a group of financial heads that were desperate for profits?

It adds nothing new that I haven't seen already in previous iterations. It's a polished piece of turd.

This guy is a genius. I mean just look at the descriptive details he gives out in his review. It's a definite spot on.

Worthy of a A+ in my book.

Exactly.

It would only seem logical that you obtained a set number of gold and a positive output of gold per turn before cranking out libraries. Of course I don't speak for everybody, but the bit about experienced players is so painstakingly obvious that it would seem childish to start building universities without even looking at the commerce ratio.

Having a spamfest of libraries with only 10-50 percent research isn't going to help is it?

It's like Firaxis suddenly decided to target a group of ******ed kids who know nothing else than to play 'shoot-em-up' every time they grab hold of a strategy game.

Moderator Action: No need for name-calling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Simplicity does not equal better.

Definitely. The guy who formed Napster got sued big time, and it no longer exists.

So I guess that the 18-year-old is Britney Spears, right?

We went from guys like Tupac Shakur and Kurt Cobain who helped innovate the music industry to a bunch of rejects. Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift? They look like a byproduct of Bratz.

Everything went downhill following the so called 'Y2K' announcement. Turns out that marketing firms took this new technology and started prodding mass audiences in order to buy particular products. Heavy marketing indeed.

I find very well why IGN would blindly rate games like Civilization a 9.0 rating. Truth by told, games that actually deserve the 9.0 rating are very hard to come by. The fact of the matter is, like Hollywood, most movies/games cranked out are going to be mediocre. There are only a select few that manage to climb up to the top of the rubble.

I enjoy my freedom on the Internet as well. The thought of my account shutting down just for who I am and the personal preferences I go by is clearly depressing. These companies want to control YOU, because once they do they can easily tell you what to do and what not to do. Not a good approach by any means in the book.

And this description, pertaining to McDonalds, is that society has become lazy. People associate a mainstream title and go with it because they know what to expect. Mom and pop stores don't have that reputation. They don't receive credit. Walmart receives huge amounts of credit, and for what? Because it is one of the most profitable companies in the world?

Your last paragraph is a bit unsettling. So you want Hollywood and the music industry to make the choices for us? I'm sorry but from what I see today, they're making terrible choices. Hollywood is now one of the prime suspects in deciding what we should or shouldn't do. And quite clearly, it's all about the materialism and the fame.

http://magisterrex.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/blogpanzergeneralaction.gif

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2010/290/938528_20101018_screen001.jpg

Let me know if you run for congress bro, you prose really well :goodjob:

Well why not. Saw this thread so thought I may as well say my bit.

Got Civ5 purely to see how all the bad reports could possibly be true and this is what I found after my first game..

Where on Earth did all the different units go? I seemed to go warriors-archers-swordsmen-musketmen before I thought I'd even got going. Yep, its way too easy for some reason, I didn't feel like I was really having much effect on how the game was going. I hardly looked at the city screen cos everything seemed to just take care of itself. I didn't mind the hexes or the non stacking units and overall its a nice looking game, I just didn't feel like I was play civ. All the little details that go into management of cities was somehow hard to find. The satisfaction you get from playing civ comes from the huge number of options and ways to change your gameplan to win. If this were the first civ game ever, it would have been good, but you would be eagerly awaiting the sequel to see how they expand on the idea.

Sadly most of what I heard was true. They ripped the heart out of civ.

Have gone back to civ4 bts...

Two things I really dislike about Civ V.

One: I can't save or load in Strategic View, I have to switch back to "Normal View". Maybe not much of an issue for most people, but it is with my putput laptop.

Two: When I click on the icons reporting the change in the status of some of my units (like the spawning of a new Great Person or that one of my units is now eligible for a promotion), the view centers on where the appropriate unit is, but the active unit cursor does not automatically switch to the centered unit. Why is this an issue?

Because sometimes I forget, and I try to move the centered unit a couple of spaces, but it turns out that I just told the real active unit on the other side of the world I want them to move 10+ turns right next to the centered unit...and it's a hassle to figure out where that unit is, because it isn't active anymore. Urgh.

Two things I really dislike about Civ V.

One: I can't save or load in Strategic View, I have to switch back to "Normal View". Maybe not much of an issue for most people, but it is with my putput laptop.

Two: When I click on the icons reporting the change in the status of some of my units (like the spawning of a new Great Person or that one of my units is now eligible for a promotion), the view centers on where the appropriate unit is, but the active unit cursor does not automatically switch to the centered unit. Why is this an issue?

Because sometimes I forget, and I try to move the centered unit a couple of spaces, but it turns out that I just told the real active unit on the other side of the world I want them to move 10+ turns right next to the centered unit...and it's a hassle to figure out where that unit is, because it isn't active anymore. Urgh.

yes you can, don't hit ESCAPE, use your mouse. Took me a while to figure it out though. But yeah, you're right. CIV 5 sucks, I tried oh so hard to learn to like it but to no avail.

Still not playing the game. No point until there is a total mechanics overhaul to remove all the broken stuff (basically the whole game).

But I noticed that in a SG I'm following (found in here) that while you can walk a soldier unit through a neutral non-soldier unit (settler, worker) you can't do the same with your own non-soldier units.

Way to not fix a broken feature properly guys!

P.S. This thread should be stickied as first thread and retitled "Read before you buy". Seriously.

I realize I've ranted on here before about how I place most of the blame for Civ 5's lack of quality squarely on Jon Shafer. Having come across something that drives the point though, I thought I would share it.

This is a link to a discussion on the problems his mod for Civ4, Final Frontier, had. Notice how many issues seem exactly the same as the complaints about Civ5. Not enough resources? Check. Tech tree too short. Check. Not enough buildings? Check. Slow movement system, Barbarian (Pirate) issues, not enough units, shoddy diplomacy, not enough improvements, and bad AI? Check, check, check, check, and check.

There are even very specific complaints there, like a simplified gameplay that somehow actually leads to more micromanagement or how the AI will travel halfway across the world/galaxy to found a city right next to you, that might as well have been written directly about Civ5.

With that having been said, it's noticeable how much Civ5 has improved since Shafer left and how many changes have been made that directly contradicted the original game design as he laid it out. Unfortunately, the base of the game is still broken and I have very limited hopes that this will ever be fixed, but it's worth saying that Firaxis on a whole was not the problem. Their inexperienced and problematic lead designer was.

Unlike a lot of the posters here, my first impression (or maybe second) of CiV was pretty positive; at least, I remember enjoying the game. I hadn't played any Civ in a long time, and decided to fire it up again pretty recently.

Oh. My. God. So. Slow.

I don't suppose there's a fix for that?

Unlike a lot of the posters here, my first impression (or maybe second) of CiV was pretty positive; at least, I remember enjoying the game. I hadn't played any Civ in a long time, and decided to fire it up again pretty recently.

Oh. My. God. So. Slow.

I don't suppose there's a fix for that?
Buy a new, top-of-the-line computer in 2017, travel back in time to today.

This still going? Damn.

Personally I'm already waiting for Civ6 that they will most certainly make because they sold so many copies with their false advertising. Or maybe there was no false advertising. I wouldn't know since I have bleached all relevant details of this monsterous game out of my mind in hopes it would end the nightmares and waking up screaming covered up in cold sweat. :cry:

But it's still good to come by occasinally to swat at the odd kid of Civ family. Bitter civ vet out. :p

I don't understand why people are thinking that Civ VI will be "better". Civ V is clearly the new direction that Firaxis wants to take this series and personally I am all for it. Hide the heavy micro management stuff away and let the hardcore people find it, make the game more accessible to new comers and fix some bugs.

Entitled much?

I don't understand why people are thinking that Civ VI will be "better". Civ V is clearly the new direction that Firaxis wants to take this series and personally I am all for it. Hide the heavy micro management stuff away and let the hardcore people find it, make the game more accessible to new comers and fix some bugs.

Entitled much?

I also don't see Civ6 being a huge improvement, at least I won't trust review sites this time unless truly independent.

I don't understand why people are thinking that Civ VI will be "better".

Totally agree. I well remember the "CIV sucks so much but CiV will be so much better" threads - and allready at that time said: let's wait and see before starting to get ecstatic. The problems with CIV only were some hardware issue, some unfamiliar game mechanics plus many people having their difficulties with the new 3D graphics. Issues with CiV today seem to be much more severe...

Entitled much?

You're getting us wrong. We don't want CiVI so much but the rants thread that comes with it.

Entitled much?

I don't think moving every single unit every single turn contributes to cutting micromanagement. In fact the whole war engine is a massive increase in micromanagement.

Anyway what was the amount of necessary micro in Civ 4 anyway? I'd put it at moving the sliders every so often. Yes you could do a lot more, but the game was well enough designed that for large parts of the game that was essentially all you had to do.

Any reason why improvements won't automatically remove Marshes? That, or I want a worker command that sends my worker around automatically removing all marshes and redundant roads.

Some things that I dislike about Civ5
-Terrible diplomacy
-Preposterous Eurocentrism
Everything is Eurocentric,the techtree,the scenarios,the civs,the leaders,the everything!

Most people seem to complain about the most silly things in this thread.
The game is pretty good, the diplomacy needs some work but they are fixing that in the expansion so it's all cool.

Also Eurocentrism? What do you want then? South-Americacentrism?
Thing is, the European countries are the norm, America started as nothing but colonies from European countries and pretty much all non-European countries and civilizations died out early or were technologically behind.
The only exceptions being some countries in Asia which had the same technologies but were a bit ahead.

not sure where else to post this, I don't want to create a thread for one quick question.

My first game building guided missiles, but I've noticed that I can't seem to rebase them to other cities. Is this a bug or feature? Can you not put guided missiles in other cities? Or can they only go on naval vessels? I was pretty sure I was able to do it once my game, but after that it wouldn't let me rebase them to another city (close to the front lines).

Top Bottom