Civilization 5 Raves Thread

Like -

1 - City States

2 - Research Agreemets. - Civ 4 you could multi tech through trading one tech.

3 - One unit per tile. - I just hated the stacks of doom.

4 - Cities can defend without garrison

5 - Unique Civ abilities - Will give me many years more play options.

I could probably name another fifty or so.

Don't Like

1 - Modern embarked units can be picked off by ancient era naval units.

2 - United Nations Wonder - Brings all games to a quick conclusion.

3 - AI denounciations - (Slightly improved post patch).

4 - Road maintenance - Early game they can cost more than the benefits, I would like to see the cost cut to one gold for every two hexes. Maybe on a later era put the cost up again.

5 - No permanent Alliances.

Keeping the list at five was quite easy for me, to add many more would be nit-picking!
The patches on the whole have been good, IMO the designers now need to address some of the AI issues.

I am in <3 with the Danes. Just got the DLC with the Danes. Their infantry is amazing! I did not even need to build siege until around artillery. Fast, furious, and major pillaging money makers :goodjob: ... The only problems I had with them was trying to keep the generals up to speed and trying not to get dog-piled to early from the rest of the world. :cool:

Moderator Action: Merged into the raves thread.

I had put off buying Civ V for almost a year, afraid it would suck after hearing so many negative things about it here. But with my birthday here I finally gave in and said what the heck and bought it.

It's so much fun! I don't get what all of you area complaining about. Maybe it's because I went in with lowered expectations because of all I've heard, but I am duly impressed by it.

Yes it is a somewhat simpler game than Civ IV, but not that much simpler. I played Civ Rev and while it's kind of fun, it was way too simple for me (though I did love the way all the units would dance after you won, lol). Civ V is nowhere near Civ Rev. In simplicity, if IV is a 10 and Rev is a 1, I was expecting V to be closer to a 5 from comments around here, but I'd say V is actually somewhere around an 8.

And what they do cut down on makes the game better. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one unit per tile rule. It streamlines things in such a good way. One thing I dreaded about mid to late play on IV was the micro-management of way too many units.

I also like that they did away with bad health for cities and jungles (especially since I like settling in jungles) and I love that roads don't have to be so complicated.

It seems to me they really trimmed the fat from Civ IV, getting rid of some of the annoying and bad things to make room for better things.

The new social policy structure I like much better and seems more complicated than Civ IV.

Also with Steam, I love the achievement thing. I'm just starting out but it makes me want to work towards achieving all the different ones.

There are only a few things I miss from IV:

-Religion. I can do without, but it was really fun.

-This is nitpicky, but in advanced game creation, you can no longer choose the number of continents or islands in maps like you could on IV. Again I can do without, but I often would use that option on IV to choose a certain number of land masses to my suiting.

-After you win, there is no video to watch of the complete map and how it changed over the years like in IV. I loved viewing that. Now there is only a sentence-by-sentence list of everything that happened in the game. They need to put that video map back in!

Well, that's all. I just wanted to post on how much I like Civ V since the general reception to it around here made me wait a year to finally get it. :)

The replay does have the map. When you load up CiV, click "other", then "load replays" and load the replay from your last game. When you see the list of everything that happened, click the word "messages" at the top for a drop-down menu that also has "map" and "graphs".

The "graphs" option is incredible. You can get a line graph for so many statistics, from land area to GPT to tiles worked.

Glad you are enjoying it. Now prepare for the flood of posts explaining why you are wrong and actually are not having any fun at all :)

FYI, there is a video map in the victory screen now (added in a recent patch). It's under replay then you have to select 'map' from the drop-down list.

EDIT:Ninja'd! D'oh.

Woops, thanks! Just tried it and found the map and graphs. I thought that was a big oversight they were making lol. So one less thing I miss from Civ IV from an already small list.

I had put off buying Civ V for almost a year, afraid it would suck after hearing so many negative things about it here. But with my birthday here I finally gave in and said what the heck and bought it.

It's so much fun! I don't get what all of you area complaining about. Maybe it's because I went in with lowered expectations because of all I've heard, but I am duly impressed by it.

Waiting 12 months means you are playing a much improved game then when it was first released 12 months ago. I enjoy Civ V much more now then when it first came out.

I don't mind the changes as I didn't expect a prettier version of Civ IV, but a game that was somewhat different. Howeevr, I did expect a better AI and the game to work much better than it did when it first came out. I am glad you are enjoying the game.

There's so much nitpicking that people forget what a good game CiV really is! There are a lot of improvements on cIV.

Honestly, I don't miss Religion/Corperations from 4 at all. I don't think they'd be necessary here, though it would perhaps help to improve diplomacy a bit. I mean, let's face it, all religion was in 4 was a glorified friendship pact, especially if you had Isabella in your game.

Espionage is the other thing people say they miss. Personally I'm not too fussed. I felt like it was too much micromanagement. Generally I was interested in seeing what the AI was producing, but nothing more. Sabotaging their production or anything meaningful was rarely easy to pull off, and getting your own cities sabotaged was frustrating.

Glad you're having fun!

Remember to experiment with advanced options and try out some of the "different" maps such as Ice Age!

The "graphs" option is incredible. You can get a line graph for so many statistics, from land area to GPT to tiles worked.

The graphs can be truly incredible. For example the science graph of an extinct civ not only continuing but shooting up to lead the world. That sort of thing. Still, I'm glad the OP is enjoying the game. I know I am.

If you played civ4 multiplayer, you will enjoy even more civ5. The 1UPT feature is exactly what make mp games more fun than his predecessor. Just make sure to play with known buddies for 6 or more players games because it can crash sometimes. For 4 players it's usually good until the end.

I really, really like Civ5.
Not as much as Civ4BTS, but I believe than can hardly be bettered. It also has had a lot of time to mature. But on the other hand, Civ5 is maturing well as well, the game is steadily becoming better and better.

I love the graphics, it's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and I also like how they've streamlined (streamlined, not dumbed down) some UI things.

I mostly play Civ5 in single player (varying from Prince to Immortal, depending on how relaxed I want to play), but two or three times in a year me and my friends have a LAN for three days where we basically lock ourselves up with computers and beer and just play Civ5 for 3 days relatively non-stop (with some sleep here and there), we'll often rack up 60 hours of civgaming.
We mostly get 2 or 3 games out of that. It are great weekends!
Although GE's (insta-wonders) and the HS are a bit gamebreaking, imho.

Also I love the DLC and the scenarios, although I do wish there were more of them. Either DLC or expansion, I don't care, as long as there is just more Civ5 :p

1UPT is a much, much better in my opinion. The implementation isn't perfect, but i really love it. 2UPT or 3UPT might be good for later eras, but overall having a stack limit has done a lot of good.

Similarly, I live the large icons for each unit. That along with 1UPT makes it easier to identify them.

Hex tiles, almost goes without saying those are better. No skipping tiles diagonally anymore.

While the AI diplo as a whole can be annoying, the way they are deceptive and hard to control is a huge improvement. At the same time, a "classic AI" option would be cool, but as a default the new AI is fun.

Allowing you to move your view around while selecting research\buildings, etc, that's much appreciated (not that it's a programming marvel).

Natural culture growth, gotta say I like that. Overall the borders just feel more right. The hesitance to cross rivers unless there's something good is pretty cool.

I prefer the SP system to Civics overall. It's like a second tech tree (forest) that revolves around bonuses.

Embarking is a mixed bag, but I like how you don't have micromanage transports.

I also love the overall potential; whether Firaxis keeps improving it, or hands over the source to the modding community, there is a bright future for this game.

Woops, thanks! Just tried it and found the map and graphs. I thought that was a big oversight they were making lol.

Oh, it was. But they fixed it :goodjob:

Still kinda hidden away there, but it's a fine implementation once you see it :)

I just put together new I2500K rig and decided to give Civ5 another chance.

With a twist: no reloading if I do something stupid. Prince, huge map (finally my computer can handle proper size map!)

What a difference! The game became so much more challenging and fun.

First, I realized Russia is doing way too well on another continent, having dangerously high number of cities, military and points. I had to bribe my way to land on their shore by friendling their own allied civ-state. Russia attacked that civ-state right away so my plan failed. It was a real D-Day to get a foothold on the beach, I used one general to build a citadel and I put my lvl 9 Artillery on it. It was the most amazing military campaign I ever experience in Civ.

As soon as I conquered Moscow (B17 helped so much!) I found out Germany on yet another continent developed a lot. They are way too far ahead with their space ship and also they just started building nukes. Peace with russia and on my way I go to Germany, expecting even harder landing. But now, I have 3 carriers with jet fighters and veteran B17s. Cant wait to get home from work!

Moderator Action: Merged with the raves thread. :)

...the more I like it.

When I first bought Civilization V, I didn't like it very much - too different from the previous Civilizations and from Colonization for my tastes. Although I liked some features from the beginning, such as resource quantity and no more villages (I hated it in Civ4 that the best option was usually building the same improvement in every tile), I greatly disliked hexes and UPT. I thought: I prefer squared tiles, since they are more intuitive, and UPT doesn't fit the game's scale. The ranged attacks from archers also does not fit the game's scale. But... eventually I understood that although they didn't fit the the game's scale, it was very fun to be able to use ranged attacks; I had a great time playing the Mongol scenario. I understood that although it doesn't fit the game's scale, it's a way to have tactical battles without having to resort to a tactical map, keeping it all more compact and better for gameplay.

I've begun to like the hexes - because they feel more natural, they give better-looking borders than squares do (I'm still not sure about UPT though).

The modular nature of the mods, as well as the online database make access to mods much easier, and more dynamic, since you can enable and combine the mods you like in many cases.

That is my current view on the game. I had loathed it when I first heard of it's features, eventually got it to check it out, didn't like much, spent many months without playing it, but now am back to it and am quite enjoying it.

I hope that the DLL will come out soon, and that at least as many functions are open in the DLL as in Civ4's, so that the game's mod-friendliness will finally surpass Civ4's completely, and so that I can mod it a bit in C++ :)

This is something that I'm sure we have all taken for granted since Civ V came out but I just wanted to thank Firaxis for implementing the fantastic mod browser. Last night I went on a mod binge and was up and running with 5 new mods within 10 minutes without even having to leave the game.

So thanks again, it's fantastic.

Moderator Action: Merged with the raves thread.

I just love the game. It's easily my favourite Civ, and I've played the lot. I keep playing and playing.

Diplomacy sucks - true.
Diplomatic victory sucks too.
Many, many other things don't.

Top Bottom