Civilization III Fixes (PLEASE READ)

Hi,

I just bought Civ III Conquest and loaded with no issues. When I try to start the program I get the error:

File Not Found

"Sounds/popupAdvisor.wav"

And then it kicks me out.

Any help you could give would be great.

Chris

Hello, did you try doing a search for that file on your hard drive...then check the cd itself....Are you talking about Conquests or just regular civ 3..?

yes, check all civ programs and couldn't find. anything file with that name. I was thinking of removing both civs and reinstalling..

That was going to be my next suggestion....plus try running civ 3 before you install conquests, just to ensure that it works....if you hadn't done that already. Good luck!
:D

I bought PTW from Amazon (UK) - so as far as I know it's the UK version.
I patched it (also using the UK version) and it ran OK under Windows 98.

Then I upgraded to a new home computer using Windows XP.
When I installed PTW, it ran OK (version 1.14).
When I used the patch, I got the error message 'Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart the application'.

New computer spec:
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.60 GHz
Total memory 2.54MB
DirectX 9.0b

Video: Intel 82845G
Total memory 64.0MB
Version 6.13.0010.3510 (English)

Sound: realtek AC97 Audio
Version: 5.10.0000.2520 (English)

Irritatingly my other home computer also runs Windows XP and is happy with PTW version 1.27f.

Any ideas?

(I posted something similar on the Civ3 fixes thread - apologies if this is not correct etiquette, but the machine that doesn't work is the one connected to the Internet, so I can't play with my mates online...)

OK, I found the problem.
There are innumerable versions of PTW (US, UK etc) and each has its own patch.
Amazon (UK) had sent me one UK disc and one US disc, so I needed different patches. Now both programs run (version 1.27).

If you're still awake (!), you can tell the UK disc by the 7 digit number on the CD (middle left). The US disc has a /2 after the number.

I'm trying to get C3C to run with no luck. When I run the program, the screen goes black like it's trying to play the introduction movies. Then I get an error that reads "Invalid Page Fault in module CIV3CONQUESTS.EXE" and the game quits.

I've been over the Atari Support page (waiting for an email back from them), and tried Windows Updates and driver updates as well. Civ 3 Vanilla still works fine, but C3C will not get past the initial black screen without crashing.

EDIT: Adding system information:

SYSTEM:
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.0GHz
Memory: 384MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

DISPLAY:
Card name: Voodoo3 PCI
Manufacturer: 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
Display Memory: 15.0 MB
Driver Version: 4.12.0001.0666 (English)

SOUND:
Name: DirectSound (SB Live! Wave Out [10C0])
Manufacturer: Creative Labs
Driver Version: 4.12.0001.0906 (English)

I have C3C that I bought in Australia.

Which patches can I use?

USA European or some other.?

It is really annoying having so many versions, all in compatible, of the same game.
Must give support a lot of unnecessary headaches.:confused:

Ive just installed the conquests expansion and have applied all the relevant patches to conquests, civ 3 and play the world. I run play the world, select multiplayer, select internet and the server browser thing appears, problem is it says local games not internet games (which its supposed to), ive tried clicking the location button which doesnt change it. Also when it does say internet game (only happened once or twice so far) and i click host game it goes back to the main menu. I have the relevant firewall ports opened. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I bought Civ3 Gold 2 days ago and installed it no problem. Have a dell 4600 PC and reinstalled all display drivers and video drivers yesterday, have directX 9.0b.

The game installed perfectly, and the editor works 100%, but when I try to launch the game the error message "please login with administrator privileges and try again" shows up. This makes no sense cuz i only have one account and it is an administrator account, and I installed the game on this account, 4 different times. I use windows XP home.

The shortcut isn't the problem either because going onto the cd directly and launching the application doesn't work.

I really don't know what's wrong...

in case it helps at all:

Intel Pentium(4) 2.66 ghz
510mb RAM

128 mb NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card v6.14.0010.5672

soundMAX Digital Audio v5.12.0001.3600

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

draggor: assuming you are correct when you say your account has admin privileges, then I would say the source of your problem is "XP Home". My understanding is that with XP Home, MS did something to the way Admin privileges are handled - something different from what was used in Win2K, and XP-Pro.

I'm sorry to say I don't personally know of any fix.

Have you tried contacting Atari Tech SUpport?

Hi, bro...

When I run Sid Meier's Civ III - Atari Platinum Serie - in my comp (Win XP, AMX Barton 2600+, 256 Mb DDR, DirectX 9.0B and Inno 3d Tornado GForce4 MX Agp8x) only the initial video is showed after that the screen become entirely black and I just hear the music and sounds of commands perfectly but no one image in monitor...

I contacted the support of Atari - Infogrames but his indications (includes change file binkw32.dll from directory on PC from the file of CD, update the driver of graphic card, patchs, display settings and others) doesn't help me.

Thanks for any help...

I got Civilization III: Gold Edition and when it got to about 6% installing it said

Component: CD_ROOT_FILES PROTECTED
File:(everytime I installed it was different)
Error:The request could not be performed because of I/O Device Error

My System specs are:
XP Professional
AMD Athlon Processor (1.10 Ghz.)
256 RAM
35 free GB

Please HELP!

I've had civ3 for a while, and am really enjoying it. however, recently i got PTW. I installed it (it installed fine) and went to play it. The autorun pops up, I hit play, and it whirrs for a second or two then asks me to insert the Civ3PTW disc - which is obviouly in the drive already. This keeps me from playing. Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know how to fix it?

nospacebar: The problem arises from the CD copy-protection system. Is the CD dirty? Is the CD in the same drive you installed it from? Do you have any "virtual CD" programs on your system?

Any of these issues (and probably others) can result in the problem you are experiencing.

The expansion cd is brand new, right out of the box (I tried wiping it off on my shirt, if that counts for anything). The computer has only one disc drive, and I don't think I have any virtual disc stuff - not sure on that one, I've never really heard of it before.

Top Bottom