Civilization V: Who/What Am I?

Well, at least you let a couple people guess first before you came swooping in for the win, Vaino. :p

It is indeed Gaius Octavius Augustus Caesar. Octavius roughly translating to "eighth" and Augustus to "one of dignity and greatness" (among other translations). The cognomen Caesar was given to Gaius Julius purportedly because he had a full head of hair, though he's believed to have been bald with a comb-over. Caesar translates as "hairy" and could thus have been an ironic endearment. But then, there are several translations and derivatives of "caesar" as well as various stories. I tend to enjoy the "hairy" version, though. To think that millennia later you'd have people calling themselves Hairy (Czars and Kaisers) always gives me a good laugh. Oh, and "but then I became first" refers to his title of "princeps" which is roughly "first citizen."

Rambling aside; Vaino... go for it.

Thanks Zaldrizes, but I'll leave the honor to someone else. I want others to get their shot at riddling too!

The game treats me as a wonder, but O, in my day, I was regarded as a site for idleness, prostitution, disease and sedition.

Broadway? Long shot I guess, but I have a good one in mind, hope I can guess right soon to post it :)

Circus Maximus, I guess. Should that be it, let Sabrina riddle next.

The game treats me as a wonder, but O, in my day, I was regarded as a site for idleness, prostitution, disease and sedition.

Rebuilt, a bigger draw than before I burned

The Globe Theatre! Oh, the sinful plays that so offended the puritans, now recognized as literary classics!

I think VainoValkea is probably right, but I'm gonna guess the Parthenon anyways.

The Globe it is.

Well done, VainoValkea! I knew it was right as soon as you guessed it. PLMK if I may go next or if you already have a riddle in mind. Mine will be fast anyway, I always think they are great and cryptic but end up being very obvious ;)

Thank you, let's see how long it will take until I notice it was pretty obvious. Here it goes:

It is in your hands that I finally fulfill my original purpose.

Good luck and congratulations to the winner, I think it will be fast!

No, I think you quite succeeded in the "great and cryptic" department. I'mma scratch my head for awhile and try to guess before bed.

no to hammer and no to worker, I guess the second clue will make it a little less vague, working on that :)

Top Bottom