Civilization

Hotseat. What a brilliant idea. But now I'm wondering if there are more "players" out there. Keep it up, this is one of the best stories i read.
PS: Your Chronicles series is great as well, I still haven't finished reading it.

This whole game is a hotseat?

Hotseat. What a brilliant idea. But now I'm wondering if there are more "players" out there. Keep it up, this is one of the best stories i read.
PS: Your Chronicles series is great as well, I still haven't finished reading it.

Wow... That's a pretty dramatic turn for the story.

So, some explanation's probably in order. First of all, I love to surprise readers. Secondly, and far more importantly, I've always been disappointed when writing these stories that I never felt like I had a worthy adversary. So, for this story, I decided to play with the whole multiverse idea to give my characters an antagonist who would behave a little more, um, deliberately than the AI.

Oh, but don't worry Krschtschn, only two seats in this hotseat game, I promise.

So it seem like Adfestmost and Katerina are done with there arch, what about the rest of the game? Also this has been really, really cool, I will be sad when this ends.

if i may inquire to ask, what game is shown during the interludes?

Most frequently it's Master of Orion II -- IMO the best space-based 4X game ever made (cannot count how many hours I sank into MOOII).

So it seem like Adfestmost and Katerina are done with there arch, what about the rest of the game? Also this has been really, really cool, I will be sad when this ends.

It doesn't seem to me like that's the end of their arch, also considering Helmling is going 1 chapter per turn there should be a long way to go in the story.

Well where can you go after you become a god? Hercules ended his story there. I mean we might get new people but it seems that they are done. I guess something cool like assassinations or if the Greeks stop listening.

if i may inquire to ask, what game is shown during the interludes?

Most frequently it's Master of Orion II -- IMO the best space-based 4X game ever made (cannot count how many hours I sank into MOOII).

There's a few shots from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC) in there, too, but the version of that game I have doesn't let me take screen shots so those pics are just off the web.

One of the big things I wanted to do with this story was connect all my favorite turn-based strategy games into a single narrative. So now, according to this mythology, X-Com and SMAC are actually prequels to Civ. Master of Orion is the sequel, but I tied its two ancient alien races into all the rest as part of the origin story for all the alien shenanigans in the cosmos.

But yeah, Browd's right: MOO2 is a really great game. It has a great ship builder and really fun mechanics. Plus, it doesn't take forty hours to play one game (cough, Civ5, cough). The only thing is that MOO1 actually had a better tech tree--probably THE best tech tree in any 4X game.

It doesn't seem to me like that's the end of their arch, also considering Helmling is going 1 chapter per turn there should be a long way to go in the story.

Well where can you go after you become a god? Hercules ended his story there. I mean we might get new people but it seems that they are done. I guess something cool like assassinations or if the Greeks stop listening.

Atahop's probably right. I'm not sure there's any story left. I tried to play my two sides fairly so either one could've won, but frankly, I'm a lot better as a builder than a warmonger. The Hunnish economy was at its breaking point as I attacked the Greeks. Instead of playing through the conquest of the Hun cities, which would've fallen like dominos and led to a lot of very repetitive battle posts, I thought I'd finally reveal the backstory on Katarina and the Unbound/Adesmeftos. Then it seemed like I should fill in the last spaces in the mythology, too (including my nod to X-Com).

As I finished writing, I wasn't even sure if anyone was still with me. I was posting about ten chapters a day and for all I knew, everybody'd gotten bored of the story. I was thinking that after that last chapter, I'd play to a victory condition and just post that as an epilogue.

But who's to say there aren't more themes to explore? After all, BNW gives us a lot to work with in the late game. I have started playing forward, just to see what happens and I'll say, maybe there's some potential...maybe.

What I will say for sure is that I am worn out after a marathon week of writing. It was good practice for NaNoWriMo, but I want to rest up and save some creative juices for that. So let's call this The End...For Now.

After November, maybe we come back and see what happens when the gods accept what they are.

The end :(
Well, just so you know, I for one was very intently following as you posted 10 chapters a day. I guess it does make sense to end it there, that does seem like an ending now that the Greeks won. I'd like to see more if you think you can do more at some point, though.

I too was following this story intently, really hoping you can find some inspiration to carry the story on. Would really like to see what you make of the late game as I've only really seen you do the early game but I would agree this seems like a convenient finishing point

The end :(
Well, just so you know, I for one was very intently following as you posted 10 chapters a day. I guess it does make sense to end it there, that does seem like an ending now that the Greeks won. I'd like to see more if you think you can do more at some point, though.

I too was following this story intently, really hoping you can find some inspiration to carry the story on. Would really like to see what you make of the late game as I've only really seen you do the early game but I would agree this seems like a convenient finishing point

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the story so far. Based on past experience, all it takes is a little encouragement to get to me to commit to doing more of these blasted things...

Right now, I'm seriously fighting the itch to play some more (I should be rereading Huck Finn since when school starts back next week I have to read a bunch of essays on it and it should be fresh in my mind, but Jiminy I hate Huck Finn).

Like I said, I played forward a little and there are *some* potentially interesting story elements. There's two problems I foresee: 1) How to deal with the two countries...does anyone know what happens if you eliminate the only other human player in a hot seat? Does it just go forward like a single-player? And 2) since the difficulty was only on King and the game is loaded with city-states, Greek victory is pretty much assured...so how to keep that interesting? Hmmm...we'll see.

I've been reading this story for a while and I must say it is very well written, and is very interesting. The story is really complex, intriguing and captivating. I hope there is a sequel in the future. What secrets this world still underexplored may contain?...

Well I know what a fun thing you could do is...say that The eventually renounces his throne and a new leader goes all warmongery in the late game, maybe some longer times between posts or ship the perspective back to the people and we see as the order of Zeus slowly allows the Greeks more control over themselves...or none of these I can't tell of these are good ideas or not as it is 12:30 in the morning, but I offer them freely

To keep it interesting, don't go for diplo victory. (Science seems more fitting to the story anyway) If that would still be too easy, you can do something like CountAccountant did in his thread and add a self-imposed challenge to make it harder. You could make it fit in the story by making it something the people demanded.

i agree with the above

Top Bottom