Civilization

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Helmling, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I know, right? I couldn't even figure out how to play it. I don't even acknowledge it as a part of the franchise--it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the other two. A real shame. I would've loved a proper sequel to MOO2. I'd still play the first one except the memory limit that made you stack your ships was just too annoying after the excellent ship foundry in MOO2.

2. Helmling

Well, what I'm saying is that I don't have to "go for" the diplomatic victory. Once I hit the atomic age in this game, it's going to happen (unless I intentionally didn't vote for myself).

But that doesn't have to affect the story, I suppose. I think there's a "one more turn" button... ;)

We'll see, guys. Like I said, for now I've got to clear my brain for November. Thanks for reading, everyone!

3. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

You're still continuing right, or is it on hold now?

Also, congrats on 10,000 views!

4. Garahel

Garahel Chieftain

this, this story is beautiful. man, it's been a while since i read a story like this (i read A LOT, mind you ;)) and truth to be told, i even register in the forum specifically to comment on this story alone (so far, anyway)

is there any chance in you continuing the story? i am very interested to see how you will elaborate the game in later era, especially after the atomic age, and the victory condition you'll take, since adesmeftos said in earlier chapter that they have to win. what happen aftar they win? and if they lose, what will happen to them?

5. pvtjava

pvtjava The Grey Cat

Great story.

6. Helmling

Hi, everybody! (Imagine that in Dr. Nick's voice; if you have to ask who Dr. Nick is...well...)

So I had to try out the new Xcom since it was one of my favorites from the 90s and I'm glad I decided to include it in the mythology of this story. It fits perfectly! If you haven't played it--you should! Great turn-based game, even if it doesn't have infinite replay value like Civ.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words. I noticed just now as I was showing my son the finale of Xcom that Steam was also downloading a Civ patch, and sure enough, now that I read the patch notes I find that Firaxis has made it harder to win a diplomatic victory.

If you recall, I'd said earlier I didn't know if there would be any challenge left in this game since, under the old mechanics, I could waltz to a diplo-victory without even trying.

Now, though...

So, now just don't tell me that this patch breaks old save games?!?

7. Helmling

Definitely not until December, but as I said earlier, I'm really easy to convince to do more of these things. Every time I say, "I'm done! I'm done! Never again!"

But just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in.

8. Helmling

Thanks. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I guess I'm leaning toward trying to continue it in December after NaNoWriMo.

9. Helmling

Glad you like it.

10. atahop

atahop Chieftain

Yes the story continues! Probably, eventually. Also can you keep us updated on your Nanawrimo?

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

And the patch does not ruin saved games, so you can resume your story. (Hint, hint!)

12. Js_9001

Js_9001 Indefatigable

I get the Dr. Nick reference :D

13. Helmling

Howdy all!

I just wanted to let you know that my NaNoWriMo is live:

I'm going to be posting the whole novel online as I write it at my website, so if you would like to follow along, well, you can. It's going to be pretty different from this story, obviously, but you'll probably see some similarities in tone and, surprisingly, even in some themes.

So, see you guys again after November. Adios!

14. Js_9001

Js_9001 Indefatigable

This NaNoWriMo seems pretty cool.
    Good luck with your novel!

15. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Wonderful story. Loved it. Hours at work went by so fast reading this. :goodjob:

I myself wanted for quite some time to try my first story with a few similar concepts (aliens, immortals) and some court intrigue etc., but can't ever get around doing it. Too scared. :lol:

16. Helmling

Glad you enjoyed it. As you can see, it's not quite over.

17. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

WHAT?!? "CIVILIZATION" HAS BEEN UPDATED AGAIN!?! Party!

Oh, and good update, by the way.

18. Helmling

Thanks!

Yeah, I had several good games in a row and reached kind of a point where I started thinking about this game again. It just took a while to figure out what I wanted to do with the characters as I continued and then I just kind of knew: it's her turn.

19. Js_9001

Js_9001 Indefatigable

Very glad to see this is back, great writing as always.

20. Helmling

Ah shucks, thank you.