Civvi will have half the amount of techs compared to Civ 5

That's surely what they're called, but it doesn't get across the point that they're two alternate versions of the same thing (and more or less two different game paths) that use the same mechanisms (Eureka bonuses) but a different resource.
The best I could come up with to satisfy those goals is Science Research Path and Culture Research Path. Or replace Path with Tree.

I think Tech Tree (which is well understood) and Civics Tree (which is a new term for a new concept but with parallel construction to Tech Tree, ie, a word for the "node" followed by tree) makes the most sense anyway, though.

Based on the interviews, I got the impressions that the Eureka moments are going to be pretty mixed in difficulty. Some of them are obviously easy (meet a civ), some may or may not happen early depending on your positioning (like the stuff for sailing), and I got the impression some would lead you a bit out of the way.

So it'll be a balance. It'll reward you for things you're already doing, give you a bit of sidequests if you're trying to maximize them, or just steer you in some direction if you get some by surprise.

As you just said, the rate at which you move through the tree has nothing to do with number of techs, it has to do with how they balance the tech costs.
Without really wanting to beat a dead horse to keep a pointless discussion alive, the whole line of discussion went something like this:

1) Someone pointed out that: "With half the number of techs, they'll have to double the time it takes to research each of them if the number of turns to complete the tech tree should be the same." (which is quite obviously true).

2) Someone else then argued that: "Since we know have both a tech tree and a civics tree, while the tech number might be half, the overall number of "techs + civics" will be the same, hence above statement is not true."

3) And that was what my response was aimed at, namely that statement 2 is untrue because techs and civics are obtained in parallel tracks, which means they still have to change beaker cost : beaker gain ratio if they want the tech tree to finish after equivalent amount of turns.

The whole point was not to make any claims to what actual research time will be (because we don't know) but to point out that if research time is (all things equal) comparable to Civ5, then with fewer techs (and Eureka moments) we will have much shorter games, something many of us find quite undesirable.

Didn't read through all posts in this thread, but I think one point repeatedly coming up was that techs did come too quick, leading to units being outdated just after they were built. Maybe having fewer techs and longer research times will help lessen or avoid that problem. Although it's certainly interesting how this will be balanced. And how it will change in slower game speeds :)

Didn't read through all posts in this thread, but I think one point repeatedly coming up was that techs did come too quick, leading to units being outdated just after they were built. Maybe having fewer techs and longer research times will help lessen or avoid that problem. Although it's certainly interesting how this will be balanced. And how it will change in slower game speeds :)

I don't think it relates to number of techs, it's more the number of unit "tiers". In Civ5 it's like 8 of them, so they have to switch quickly.

I think that techs will take twice the time than usual in order to be researched, with Eureka boosts making them cost just their regular price.

Also, one has to take into account that since there will be another different tree entirely (culture) with almost 40 entries (!) discoveries will be happen more frequently too! I just hope that the tech VS units pace will be adequate.

Interesting talk and they talk a lot.
- roads will be auto-created by the way merchants travel.

YES! YES! This is exactly the kind of design decision that gives me faith in this team. Civ V's road model was imbecilic.

I have some concerns regarding the "Eureka" moments - it sounds like a great idea on paper, but it seems to me that many of the things you need to do are very generic - Quill also mentions this in the video, many of the things that trigger an Eureka moment are things you'll do anyway (meet another civ? Duh!) which will potentially kill the purpose of the whole system. Not only can it add a lot of micromanagement (switching back and forth through tech to have the right one on research when the Eureka moment happens) it also sounds like it can prompt you to do the exact same actions in the same order every game to maximize your Eureka boosts.

I read it as the opposite of this. You may have a basic set plan for how to proceed with Germany, for example, but the constantly varying geography and neighbors creates constant variety in the sort of Eureka moments that appear.

I read it as the opposite of this. You may have a basic set plan for how to proceed with Germany, for example, but the constantly varying geography and neighbors creates constant variety in the sort of Eureka moments that appear.

same here. And it might make you rethink your laid down strategy once set. Because you get the incentive to decide to adapt to the situation: If you are fighting barbarian hordes for a while you might be more eager to get the military path than in a religious game you start with stonehenge. They give you that Eureka to stay on a certain path longer and makes you fall behind elsewhere. This could lead to very interesting "debalancing" between the civs making their develoment much more different...

Seems like no matter how you do it, eureka moments are going to lead to micromanaging your science a bit more than before. You will want to ensure that you always get the eureka moment when it gets its full impact, so that will mean delaying technologies until you have done their quest. The precise details of the micromanagement depend on how the bonus is applied.

I like a culture-based tree in addition to a tech one. It takes away from "King Science", which has always been a problem in Civ from the beginning- most science wins.

Indeed. It's always been a problem in Civ but it was at its worst in Civilization 5 where science = population.

Hopefully the culture tree will help balance things out. :)

Speaking of which, do we have any indication that science is (partially) proportional to population in Civ 6?

They could actually make culture proportional to science to encourage high-level cities for culture-focused civs.

Top Bottom