1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivWorld now in Open Beta; no invite required

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Camikaze, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tatran

Tatran Chieftain

The open beta of CivWorld : the demolition has started

The first week of the closed beta had less problems/bugs.

Some bugs from two open beta games,

A player who is king of 4 civs :

Spoiler :

The same player was also defense minister in Japan which is 100% impossible, because
    you can only become defense minister very early in the game when you are the founder of a civ.
    And he did not found Japan!

The screenshots show also players who have left a civ.
    Not to mention that there has already been built 4 wonders, which is also 100% impossible.
    At last, I've left my civ to become independent, but when I returned, after 1 hour, I was suddenly back in my old civ.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shots from a second game :

False message about wonder building in Arabia and Japan.
    In the game itself, Japan has indeed those 3 wonders.
    The screenies below were taking at the same moment and they show clear errors.
    3 wonders versus 0 wonders; 3 techs versus 1 tech.
    The tech difference is possible when a player, with those techs, has left a civ.
    But at this stage of the game, 1-1.5 hours old, it looks more like a bug.
    In all my closed beta games, I've never seen civs with 3 techs in the first hour.
    And those closed beta games had a whole lot more active players in the first hours.
    Btw, Arabia has 15 players while Japan has only 8, and both civs are at maximum players. :crazyeye:
    (The tech tree is from Japan.)

Spoiler :

2. Tatran

Tatran Chieftain

Techs don't even finish anymore. :(

One of the civs, Arabia, in the previous post, has already over 30 players :eek:,
    while other civs have less than 10 players and most of them aren't active.

3. Tatran

Tatran Chieftain

It would be hilarious if they also get a 75% science bonus :lol:

As an independent player you won't get a science reduction bonus when more civs have discovered a tech.
    Only civs will get that science discount. :thumbsdown:
    Even more annoying is the fact that an independent player can't see in tech tree how much science a tech costs.
    This way the independent player risks losing science + maze moves when switching techs.

4. Countmonte8242

Countmonte8242 Chieftain

It's pretty easy to figure out the mechanics though with a little tinkering. I actually found the system pretty fun because you have to understand how it works in order to maximize productivity. In the end its simple. Maximize happiness, minimize house>resource>dropoff distance, and do so efficiently. Know when to upgrade buildings and when its not worth it.

Agree with you on the rest though.

5. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Chieftain

what is civ world? is it that facebook game they were supposed to launch ages ago?

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Not ages, but :yup:.

7. Double Stack

Double Stack Chieftain

Lots of bug but then its Beta.

Science that didn't finish is due to the "science minister" bug. If a science minister is researching the tech, the 25 percent tech cost reduction is applied on the UI but not in the mechanic. So if a Tech needs 10,000. It will show 7,500 for everyone on that tech even if you have say 8,000 on it.

Need fix that in order to make it work. However, they did some fixing this morning but too many people trying to get on and overloading the logon server.

8. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Chieftain

a long time ago at least ;) been waiting for it for 2 years. it doesn't seem like promosing. it looks like just another facbeook game, but then again I am playing Kingdoms of Camelot on facebook and I do have fun with it so I think I'll probably give it a chance.

9. Tridus

Tridus Chieftain

I went and tried it out. It's pretty weak. It's more like playing FarmVille then playing Civ. Player interaction was basically non-existant, the harvest mechanic is stupid and serves no purpose whatsoever other then to encourage people to buy resources, and the minigames got boring pretty quickly.

Sitting around staring at the screen to collect those bonus resources when they pop up really sucks. Having your resource totals not move when you don't have any harvests despite having 6 people working also really sucks. What's happening when you get into combat is about as vague as possible and didn't make much sense at all.

It really seems like instead of taking what worked in Civ and adapting it to facebook, they said "what does a standard facebook game look like?", made that, then tried to shoehorn some Civ stuff in to justify the name. Pretty sad that this is what Firaxis has been focused on, though it does make Civ 5 look better by comparison. This thing is more like what happens if you're the governor of a single city in Civ, and there's nobody leading the empire and the cities don't talk to each other.

10. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

11. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

Couldn't figure it out.

You want to see a game done right, and devs who provide incentives to pay without ever making the game annoying to not pay? Try Trainstation. You may or may not like dispatching trains, but those devs do right from top to bottom. All game companies should aspire to do what they do. It's called service with a smile.