Classic 33: Saves Now Available!

al_thor said:
Okay, I have been playing the CIV version using PTW. I can at least communicate with ALL of the civs, which is a bonus. (Using vanilla CIV v1.29, After meeting all civs, I ended up having 2 civs that I could not communicate with). I also had problems with various unit animations in the pediaicons file.
Using PTW, I still get issues with the missing entries in the pediicons file, but at least my communications all work. At this point, I'm trying to remember to save at the end of every turn, because I never know when it will crash because of a missing entry. :sad:
At this point, I am 3 techs into the Industrial Age and going strong, but have had more than a few crashes. With each passing hour, I become more determined to finish this game.
Well, playing the civ version in PTW is virtually asking for trouble! Good luck! :D

Geez, thanks, ainwood. It has been a little rough, but I can't go back now. I had played the 2nd-half of the Ancient Age and ALL of the Middle Age before I saw your post warning about not using PTW with the CIV version. Oh, well.
At first, I went through the 2nd half of the Ancient Age without a hitch. Then I got some crashing. I fixed them and continued. I then had some more crashing during Middle Ages, but managed to get through that okay.
The worst part about the whole thing is that I've had to re-play a couple of Major Trading turns that take a while to complete. I'm trying to SAVE every turn, but it's tough to get into that kind of habit.
Is there some medal catagory for what I'm trying to do? Maybe like a Perseverance (or maybe Perverted) medal of honor?

Ainwood:
It's been somewhat of a struggle with a fair amount of crashing, but I have managed to reach the Industrial Age. I definitely have to stay OUT of the Civilopedia, as that will almost always crash.
I am poised for a Domination win, as I am 3 Techs ahead of the AI, and 4 or 5 turns away from building Tanks. I have a good stack of Cav/Arty, and when I get my first Tanks out, I will declare final war and try to end this thing once and for all. Get my 'unconventional' (25% played using CivIII, 75% played with PTW) victory medal ready............

I certainly will.

Good news: I managed to finish the game (whew!). Like I said, I had a fair amount of crashing, especially when a 'non-standard' unit made an appearance.

Thanks again for the game - it was a very good challenge, as I rarely play Pangea maps. That was a nice touch you did with the city of Rome :)

My scores are climbing with each GOTM that I complete: I ended up with Firaxis of 5523 with a Jason of 6336. Not stellar, but I'm proud of the game I played anyway.

Gentlemen,

I'm considering throwing my hat into the GOTM ring but had trouble starting the game after downloading the game file and the pediaicons.txt file. I'm playing original CIV with the 1.29f official patch.

From following this and other threads it looks like I need to download several previous GOTM patch files and install them in the order they were released in order to get started. (The FAQ wasn't really very helpful in this regard).

Call me lazy but this is a little intimidating and I'd hate to invest 10 or 20 hours in the game then realize I'd missed a file somewhere. Has anyone given any thought to a single official GOTM patch for Civ3 to make it easy for newcomers? Or do you want to keep the hurdle there to keep out the rifraff? Just my 2c.

Respectfully,
mac

mac224 said:
Call me lazy but this is a little intimidating and I'd hate to invest 10 or 20 hours in the game then realize I'd missed a file somewhere. Has anyone given any thought to a single official GOTM patch for Civ3 to make it easy for newcomers? Or do you want to keep the hurdle there to keep out the rifraff? Just my 2c.
You're lazy ;).

Hows that for a welcome to GOTM land!

Anyway, AlanH has made some nice Mac installers. Did you see this sentence on the GOTM33 page? :
Macintosh installlers are available in this thread.

Ahh! but is he really a Mac user? 1.29f hasn't been released for Mac yet, so I assumed he would have to suffer the Windows installers :D

mac224 said:

Respectfully,
mac
A single patch is one of those things that we keep meaning to do but never quite manage it. :(

Even if you do play for 10 or 20 hours and then get an error, its normally fixable, so you won't have wasted that time. :)

Ainwood: Understood. I will see if I can get it together for the next game.
AlanH: Correct you are - a windows user, despite what my handle might lead you to believe.
Dianthus: How did you know? :)

mac

I have now finished my GOTM, thanks to some "help" from the stacks of AI modern armor spilling into my borders...but that's another story. I submitted my game, and the receipt I got back has my entry class at "open", but the downloaded zip file on my desktop is clearly titled "GOTM_33_CIV_PREDATOR.zip". I don't think this matters much, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Or could it be that the GOTM staff is trying to give me a subtle hint that predator is way over my head? ;)

Top Bottom