1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic (really old) computer strategy games

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Kyriakos, Jun 23, 2013.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You could break simant/simearth so hard :p. I actually did a let's play series on GK 2: clan of the grey wolf a few years back, showing how to abuse the trade game, ambush, and surrender mechanics. Low charisma rulers suck :(.

My favorites that haven't been listed yet are Warlords 2 and especially Warlords 3. Each made by the Strategic Studies Group before it fell to pieces, those are some of the better turn-based strategy games ever made. These games had some nice UI conventions that games made decades later still fail to implement.

Similarly, you wouldn't know it now given the last few entries in the series, but the heroes of might and magic series used to be among the best in strategy. HOMM 2 and 3 were amazing, top tier games of the 90's.

2. civvver

civvver Deity

I love homm2. 3 I never did enough with it, the main campaigns are ridiculously easy. I think if you get your own custom maps its more fun. Homm2 had the right mix of difficulty and strategy. Very solid game. I'd put it up there with civ 1,2,3 and moo 1,2 for 90s strategy.

3. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I have access to all the HOMM.

Warlords 3 is classic. I still have the CD but don't know how to run old Windows programs.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

4. abradley

abradley Deity

WL3 DLR is my go to game when all else is tiresome.

For info on the Warlords series, settings on modern computers ect, http://www.warlorders.com

http://www.heeter.net/warlords/ has info galore on game play all versions.

5. abradley

abradley Deity

It's amazing what they did back then, I started computer gaming with a 2nd hand Toshiba portable w/Dos 3.5 and it was a big step up from what the programer of 'Annals of Rome' had to work with, 48K of memory and still produce a very decent game-something for modern programers to keep in mind as they build programs:
    and a review:
    You can find it at HOTU http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/37-strategy/37/19748 and Internet Library https://archive.org/details/msdos_Annals_of_Rome_1988

HOTU has a text version of the manual along with the game.

Link to video.

The map looks a bit like http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12545147&postcount=5

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

^I had tried that game (AOR) ten years ago. Pretty cool game (although you are bound to die). :)

For 48K or Ram you got something like 30 different civs (appearing later in time to replace other ones too), Imperator revolt events, and quite a bit of flexibility. Very well done :D

7. SteelLordWheels

SteelLordWheels Chieftain

Panzer General, now over 20 years old. Very simple to learn, but very strategic. The only problem was finding actual people to play against if you got bored of the AI.

The Settlers 2. Real time economy management at its finest. Plus it had a rather catchy soundtrack that I can still recall after all these years.

8. civvver

civvver Deity

panzer general, a game I have never played yet still loathe because of how often everyone referenced it as inspiration for civ5's combat system, with I equally hate.

9. Darsnan

Darsnan King

Currently doing some Spring cleaning which ended up segueing into a walk down Memory lane. From newest to oldest:

SMACX. G.O.A.T. Nuff said! :thumbsup:

Deadlock: a campy little sci-fi Planetary 4X TBS: its like SMACX lite.

Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch: a fun little game that put you back on Ringworld with some new friends.

Star Legions: an RTS planetary assault game where you orbited your ships around enemy planets, bombarded them from space, and launched your assault troopers down to the planets below to wage wars of conquest. In this game you were the ultimate galactic bad guys out to kick arse, and the more brutal you were the greater the rewards and accolades from your High Command.

Empire Deluxe: the game that started it all for me back in 1989. And I've still got the registration card and notepad for taking notes on! :)

And now waaaay back to 1986 for a game I downloaded off then internets sometime along (you can tell it was a while ago based on the printer paper).

Attached Files:

warpus likes this.
  10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

EMPIRE

I think this is the first turn based strategy game I ever played. Either way, it's what got me hooked on turn based strategy games, including Civ

I thought this game was amazing and would fantasize about playing it.. but all I had was a puny Atari 800XL so I couldn't. I could only play it on my best friend's Atari ST, who I hung out with all the time, but who didn't "like" the game because the last time we played I beat him badly. Yeah it was that kind of relationship and now instead of my best friend he is actually sort of my nemesis.

But either way, this game was great. The first couple games we played, we just got sucked right in. You got to slowly expand your empire and explore the map and even get to name your ships.. and we were just like.. "one.. more.. turn.."

11. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Panzer General is brilliant for what it tires to do. The problem is transferring the combat system to civ scales doesn't work. PG has combat areas that are at somewhere in the 100kms in size at maximum. Civ tends to deal with the whole continents on the smallest scale. You'd need huge maps if you wanted to make the system work properly on Civ scales.

12. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Man, thread's nearly 5 years old, and 6 pages in, and still no-one's mentioned Syndicate (Bullfrog, Peter Molyneux)...?

Spoiler The only screenie I have handy... :
    Syndicate mapscreen.gif

Typical Molyneux though. Great idea, slightly sloppy execution, topped off by a sudden spike in the learning curve right at the end (which, combined with the poor GUI makes the Atlantic Accelerator level an utter *****).

Although I suppose technically that was actually the second RTS I ever played (if the first was North&South, on a 386)

TrailblazingScot and Imaus like this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Weird, I never noticed that Eastern Europe in Syndicate was in Asia

14. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Nice thread....

I recall playing empire and thinking what if cities could do more than simply produce troops etc and then Civ 1 came out. Exactly what I was looking for :)

Syndicate was brilliant too

Before that, I was hooked on spindizzy on the C64 and its 'spiritual' follow up on the Amiga, called rock n rock. Great games.

(spindizzy. I'd love to play this again, I spent endless hours trying to get to all levels)

(Rock n Roll)
    upload_2018-4-30_21-8-41.jpeg

Does anyone remember the nice text adventures from magnetic scrolls. my brother would think about the puzzles for so long (guild of thieves), he even wrote to the developers in England for hints. Those text adventures in fact helped a lot with my grasp of the English language.
    upload_2018-4-30_21-9-23.jpeg

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Reminds me when we spent weeks trying to figure out wtf a manhole cover is while playing Police Quest. We were like.. We know what a man is, we know what a hole is, we know what a cover is.. we know what a manhole is, there are only so many of those, and some of them are usually covered, but what the hell..

16. shmily_dana

shmily_dana Warlord

I used to play the ascii version of Empire on various machines. Also ascii Star Trek and Rogue.

warpus likes this.
  17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Granny's Garden was the very first computer game I ever recall being involved with:

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

It doesn't look much like a strategy game, though :p

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Many are the cht cht...very few are you...

Seemed much more execution oriented than most of the games listed here. Strategy mattered, but on many missions you could just stand inside a door with sufficiently many people "persuaded" to join your cause, enough that enemy agents could be similarly "persuaded" :D.

As a kid I got to Atlantic Accelerator and never beat it. Many years later I managed, with some abusive suicide tactics.

The expansion levels I never got around to solving, some of them were really nasty.

20. unidentifiedAlien

unidentifiedAlien Chieftain

Hey guys, I’ve been searching for this one god/strategy game for about a year, thought this thread might yield something, but so far I havent found a trace of it even existing.
    The only thing I remember from playing it is that it had this soundtrack that was almost hypnotizing in a way? The vitality of the player’s tribe/country was represented by a heartbeat implemented in the music, the other instrumentals being very simple.. sweeping noises?. The player could also wait for godpowers to charge up, creating floods, earthquakes etc. to use either against the other tribes, or your own.
    Apologies that I don’t recall more about it but it must’ve been almost 10 years since I last played it.

Honestly by now I doubt it even existing at all, but if anybody here knows what it might be I’d be incredibly happy to finally find it. It might also already be mentioned but just flew right over my head, sorry for bothering if that’s the case.

P.S. sorry for kinda hogging this thread, I thought this might be the best place to ask.