• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Clock settings

mrtn

Shaven not stirred
TF, would it be possible to have a setting to see the time in European/military standard? I e 3:00 PM is written 15:00.

I'll never wrap my head around the fact that 12:47 AM is before 11:47 AM. Plus that you* confuse AM and PM all the time. Having it as 00:47 would be much easier for a lot of people.

Pretty please? :)

*Well, I. :p

I'd be supportive of this, because I prefer 24 hour time to 12 hour time.

But on the other hand, I grew up with 12 hour time, so either way is fine with me.

I like the current format better. It's more natural IMO (except the 12:47 AM part). :)

In conversations, how do you say the time in Europe? Do you say 3 PM or 15:00?

MjM said:
Can you please fix CFC's clocks for people who follow DST? :p

Like in Cali, its really 10:20 pm, but my post timestamp says 11:20pm

Do you have "Automatically detect DST settings" selected in your UserCP? If so then it should correct it by itself.

Don't Americans use the 24-hour clock? That is funny!

You would always say "Three o'clock" even when you write "15:00". Just as I assume an American would write "3:00" but still say "Three o'clock" rather than "Three colon oh oh".

24-hour clock readings seem more natural to me, but I'm not really bothered.

Plotinus said:
24-hour clock readings seem more natural to me, but I'm not really bothered.

Same here, mainly because my job uses the 24 hour clock for everything.
If I had the choice I'd use 24hr time here too. but it's not necessary.

24 hour all the way, I can never remember what pm and am are.

mrtn said:
TF, would it be possible to have a setting to see the time in European/military standard? I e 3:00 PM is written 15:00.

I'll never wrap my head around the fact that 12:47 AM is before 11:47 AM. Plus that you* confuse AM and PM all the time. Having it as 00:47 would be much easier for a lot of people.

Pretty please? :)

*Well, I. :p
Agreed, get rid of the barbarian clock style. :p

Anyway, i could never find a reason why the AM/PM thingies appeared. I mean -> 24 hours -> from 0 to 24. Why AM/PM ?
I need at least 5-10 seconds to realise what time is it with the AM/PM's. So most of the time i don't even bother to try to convert it and ignore what time it is.

Thunderfall said:
I like the current format better. It's more natural IMO (except the 12:47 AM part). :)

In conversations, how do you say the time in Europe? Do you say 3 PM or 15:00?
We say something like "It's fifteen o'clock", but we also say "It's three o'clock"

Can it at least be optional?

dutchfire said:
Can it at least be optional?
It's not one of the forum features, but hopefully they will add it in a future version.

Plotinus said:
Don't Americans use the 24-hour clock? That is funny!
Some use it, but 12-hour with AM/PM is more popular, especially for websites. :)

But websites, where people are from all over the world, is the place where 24 hour time is the most usefull!

[MjM] I don't think an overwhelming majority of people here are American.

[Cheezy] As I said, though, no-one would actually say "17:15".

I have to say that I can never get used to Americans saying things like "quarter after five" - it sounds so odd. It should be "quarter past five"! No-one really realises just how many differences there are between American English and standard English, unless you actually have to sit down and learn them, as I did when I worked as a proof-reader.

I'm one of the really few people in Europe who prefer the 12 hour system. I don't mind the 24 hour time, but it takes a lot longer for me to calculate. If it's 12 hour time I just read it and understand what the time is. When I see the time in 24 hours, I have to do 17-2-10=5. Oh, so it's 5 PM. :)

Plotinus said:
[MjM] I don't think an overwhelming majority of people here are American.

[Cheezy] As I said, though, no-one would actually say "17:15".
I may say "17 15" or "17 and 15", is that close enough?

I think that Americans are the biggest minority here, but I don't believe they're more than 50%.
And I believe that most of the rest are from Europe, and would prefer 24 hour time.

Top Bottom