Colonialist Legacies' Canadian Dominion for VP

pineappledan

Deity
Canada
Does not need the original mod
Download here

Leader - Lester B. Pearson

UA - Northwest Passage:

• :trade: Internal Land Trade Routes claim neutral territory they pass over.
  • Units garrisoned in Cities, Forts, and Citadels generate 2 :c5gold: Gold and 1 :c5capital: Great General Point every turn.
  • +1 vote in the World Congress for every Diplomat in foreign cities.
UB: Hudson's Bay Company (East India Company replacement)

Available at Guilds
:c5production: Cost scales with number of Cities
Does Not Require Customs House
Free Customs House
Gain a Large sum of Border Growth Points in this City on completion
+6:c5gold: Gold, +2:c5culture: Culture (up from 4:c5gold:)​
:trade:Trade routes other players make to a city with an Hudson's Bay Company will generate an extra 4 :c5gold: Gold for the city owner and the trade route owner gains an additional 2 :c5gold: Gold​
1 free copy of all luxuries around city​
-1 :c5unhappy: Poverty in all cities​
+2 :c5gold:, +2 :c5culture: to Forts and Citadels on Empire
+2 :c5gold: Gold from all Customs Houses and +3 :c5culture: Culture from all Banks on Empire
All Units receive the 'Colonial Capitalism' promotion (Units generate 2 :c5gold: Gold and 2 :c5culture: Culture per turn while garrisoned in a Fort or Citadel)​

UU: Coureur des Bois (Explorer Replacement)

Available at Compass
150:c5production: production cost (down from 160)
17:c5strength: CP​
3 :c5moves:Movement​
Ignores Terrain Cost​
XP from revealing tiles​
Embarkation with defense​
Extra sight while embarked​
Portage Promotion (+1 :c5moves: Movement if starting turn on River)​
Trailblazer I Promotion (double movement in woods and forest)​
Has Diplomatic Mission Action - lands to gain :c5gold: Gold, and :c5influence: Influence.​
Fur Trader Promotion - Can expend unit in City-State territory to gain 100:c5gold: Gold and 30 :c5influence: Influence​
Spoiler 4UC :

3UC - UU: Expeditionary Force(Great War Infantry/Rifleman)(from JFD's United Kingdom mod)

Available at Replaceable Parts
900 :c5production:
56 :c5strength:CS (+6 from GW infantry)​
Canadian Corps Promotion (+100% vs fortified units)​
Resolve Promotion (50HP healed on unit kills)​

4UC - UB: Railway Hotel (Hotel)
RailwayHotel256.png

Available at Railroads
1000 :c5production:
6 :c5gold: Gold maintenance
6:c5culture:2:c5gold:2:tourism:
+2:c5gold:2:tourism: to all Seaports and Railways Stations on Empire (stacks from multiple Railway Hotels)​
+25% :tourism: from Great Works​
25% of :c5culture:culture from landmarks and World Wonders is converted to :tourism:Tourism in city​
25% of the highest :c5culture: Culture from Tiles of any city on empire with a Railway Hotel and a :c5trade: City Connection is added as :c5gold: Gold and :tourism: Tourism to all your cities with a Railway Hotel and a :c5trade: City Connection.​

Credits:
  • dariusofwest: War Music - "O Canada!" (Custom Composed Music)
  • Edmonton Symphony Orchestra: Peace Music - "O Canada"
  • Janboruta: Leaderhead and Icons
  • Neirai: XML, Lua and Concept
  • TPangolin: Art, Concept
  • Charlatan Alley: Voice Acting
  • Viregel: Civilopedia Entries
  • LastSword: Lua Help
  • Scapegrace: Decisions concepts
  • Mewr11: Decisions code
  • RawSasquatch: Hudson's Bay Company icon
  • Regalman: Map
  • Leugi: Icons
  • pineappledan: CBO compatibility
  • Enginseer: help with lua
  • Wolfdog: Expeditionary Force unit model
  • Mikeburnfire: Hockey Rink icon
  • Asterix Rage: promotion icons

Last edited:
Reserved.

• Diplomatic, expansionist civ, but focused on Gold/Culture, Aggressive wide settlement that requires a lot of land to take advantage of its UA, but doesn't have strong offensive tools.
  • Settle aggressively and link your cities using internal trade routes to create massive border blobs, cutting off parts of your continent from other civs.
  • Canada excels at using an "aggressively defensive posture", dotting its land with forts and citadels to make sure the True North stays strong and free.
  • Coureurs des Bois don't completely recoup the cost of the unit with their diplomatic action, and they aren't as strong as Envoys, but they are very fast and don't use paper. With the high gold income from other sources, you should be able to spam CdBs for a reliable source of CS influence. I hope you like Micro!
4UC:
  • The Canadian UCs come very late, but have powerful, safe bonuses for securing a tourism or diplomatic victory.
  • Keep the unwashed masses away from your donuts and cold ones with the Expeditionary force, who is just as good on attack as the rest of Canada is on defense.
  • Every Ice Hockey rink on empire is like a tiny CERN, giving a global boost to CS influence. It probably won't clinch you a cultural victory, but the Hockey Rink will provide a massive supply of late gold and culture; enough to prolong the game for either victory condition.

@Kim Dong Un

Last edited:
Wouldn't the 250 Gold and 25 Influence trigger a WLTKD?

Wouldn't the 250 Gold and 25 Influence trigger a WLTKD?
Nope. Tested and confirmed; no GM bulb happens. They are explorers, but use the same influence/gold mechanics as an emissary/envoy/ambassador.

Those :c5gold:/:c5influence: values are up for debate. For starters, I set them so that the diplo mission would mostly cover the cost of the unit, and so they are slightly better than an emissary (envoys are unlocked at the same tech level). 15-30:c5influence: is probably the right range, the lower purchase cooldown, freedom from paper restrictions, and speed of the unit might be enough that people might not care if they are weaker than emissaries.

Hehe, you're in your element - Canada! Pew, pew, pew! :]

What CS is put instead of Quebec?

Quebec is replaced with St John's (newfoundland, Canada. I'd recommend switching Mackenzie King to here)
Vancouver replaced with Honiara, Solomon Islands. Maybe sir Peter Kenilorea?

You should update the city list, the original mod's list is very Ontario-biased. I can help if you'd like.

I disagree.

The city list leans on Eastern Canadian cities because that is historically relevant to Canada's progression as a nation. For instance, Kingston is the second city because it was the original capital of Canada. It does sting a bit to know that my home city, Edmonton, is 19th (and 3 below Calgary) in the city list, but it's a fair representation of how our nation was built, the order of confederation, and the historical relevance of each city, divorced from its modern-day political standing.

I’m considering dropping Vancouver from the city list so it can remain a city-state. I don’t have the list in front of me, but I believe I can simply replace it with Victoria. I might go through the city list and clear out any cities in the territories as well. Save those for an upcoming Inuit compatibility mod

Last edited:
If you chose St John's then there are 2 Canadas, right? Maybe it would be better switch to smth more original?

I would leave Vancouver in Canadian list.

There are 2 Canadian cities in the base game anyways... Quebec City and Vancouver. As is, Vancouver is already replaced with something else, I just thought it would make less work for you

Don't bother with me. I like diversity. I gladly add some new original leaders.

For Solomon Islands I would use sir Jacob C. Vouza as a leader, but there's no good quality picture.

Last edited:
upload_2018-11-17_17-27-36.png
upload_2018-11-17_17-36-13.png

Mackenzie King and Peter Kenilorea

Last edited:
@pineappledan Considering the cynicism I've developed and how miserable my situation leaves me most days, I must say that you've really come through. Most would consider this trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I can assure you this means a lot to me. Although you stated that this project was already on your to-do list, the fact you made it a priority and followed through as fast as you did is admirable, and I truly mean it when I say thank you.

Everything looks great and I can't wait to start a game! Aside from the Huns, I've now tried every civ so this is great timing (I think it's also about time I try your 3/4 UC mod). I can imagine a lack of sleep in my foreseeable future...

I disagree.

The city list leans on Eastern Canadian cities because that is historically relevant to Canada's progression as a nation. For instance, Kingston is the second city because it was the original capital of Canada. It does sting a bit to know that my home city, Edmonton, is 19th (and 3 below Calgary) in the city list, but it's a fair representation of how our nation was built, the order of confederation, and the historical relevance of each city, divorced from its modern-day political standing.

I’m considering dropping Vancouver from the city list so it can remain a city-state. I don’t have the list in front of me, but I believe I can simply replace it with Victoria. I might go through the city list and clear out any cities in the territories as well. Save those for an upcoming Inuit compatibility mod

I wholeheartedly disagree. There is not a lot of thought put into the city list, and I can prove it.
Spoiler Current City List :

http://civilization-v-customisation.wikia.com/wiki/Canada_(Lester_B._Pearson)
  1. Ottawa
  2. Kingston
  3. Montreal
  4. Toronto
  5. Quebec City
  6. Charlottetown
  7. Halifax
  8. Saint John
  9. Sherbrooke
  10. Fort Rouille
  11. Sarnia
  12. St. Catharines
  13. London
  14. Hamilton
  15. Victoria
  16. Oshawa
  17. Kitchener
  18. Windsor
  19. Winnipeg
  20. Calgary
  21. Regina
  22. Saskatoon
  23. Vancouver
  24. Edmonton
  25. Granville
  26. Stanley Park
  27. Whitehorse
  28. Yellowknife
  29. Iqaluit
  30. Fredericton
  31. Kelowna
  32. Enderby
  33. Lethbridge
  34. Medicine Hat
]
Whoever made the list appears to have done their research almost entirely based on this one wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...a#Settlements,_Villages,_and_Towns,_1541-1850

• The first 9 cities that appear in the article are the first 9 cities in the city list, barring St. John's which appears as a city state.
  • The next "city" is Fort Rouille, which is the next one to appear in the article. Fort Rouille is of little relevance to Canada as a whole because it was only used for 9 years. There were plenty of other forts built before it that were more important and were used for longer. Why then does Fort Rouille appear in this city list? Because it was mentioned in this wikipedia article.
  • 7 of the next 8 cities are cities in Ontario, which appear in the direct order of their mention in the wikipedia article. Victoria is sandwiched in between (presumably because the article mentions it was founded earlier)
  • The western cities are added in the order they appear in the article.
  • Granville and Stanley Park are not even cities but they were mentioned in the wiki article, so they got added.
Everything after that appears to have been added manually according to the list maker's discretion.

I agree that earlier, more historic cities should be given precedence over later ones, but the current list is illogical and the main criteria for adding cities is how early they were founded (and how early they appear in the wiki article). This disregards regions and cities that have played major roles in Canadian history, albeit more recent ones, and skews representation towards Ontario.

Here's what I would do as a compromise between history and relevance:
Spoiler :

1. Ottawa
2. Montreal
3. Toronto
4. Quebec City
5. Vancouver
6. Kingston
7. Winnipeg
8. Halifax
9. Edmonton
10. Calgary
11. Charlottetown
12. Trois-Rivieres
13. Moncton
14. Hamilton
15. Regina
16. Sherbrooke
17. London
18. Victoria
19. Saint John
20. Saskatoon
21. Oshawa
22. Windsor
23. Fredericton
24. Kitchener
25. Kelowna
26. St. Catharines
27. Lethbridge
28. Prince George
29. Whitehorse
30. Yellowknife
31. Iqaluit
32. Port-Royal
33. Salmon Arm
34. Medicine Hat

It does sting a bit to know that my home city, Edmonton, is 19th (and 3 below Calgary) in the city list

3 as in the number of games the Oilers have dropped to the Flames in a row? :p

I might go through the city list and clear out any cities in the territories as well. Save those for an upcoming Inuit compatibility mod
The only one that really interferes is Iqaluit, and even then it's far enough down that there shouldn't be any issues.

Well, It's definitely a better list.

I've got to nerf Canada in a quick upcoming patch so I'll update the city list.
I'll replace Iqaluit with Thunder Bay
I'll replace London with Sudbury further down the list. It's not the same London, but there's already a London in the game so I would prefer to unstack that.

Why Salmon Arm, as opposed to maybe Kamloops or even Banff?

Changes:
  • Dropping Coureur des bois to 100 gold on diplo mission.
    • I had forgotten that their diplo action is boosted by the Statecraft policy.
    • They don't get the benefit of diplo unit promotions like signet, etc, so I think their influence numbers are fine, but the gold was way too high, especially with Forbidden palace.
  • Changing the Factor promotion icon
  • Reducing the base gold on Factor to +2 per turn.
  • Reducing Colonial Capitalism Culture to +1 per turn
  • In total: 4:c5gold:, 1:c5culture: and 1:c5capital:GGP per turn for every occupied fort on empire, with HBC constructed
  • Colonial capitalism was not being added as intended. Going to fix that.
  • The lua for adding the friendship SC votes was exceedingly "chatty". I'm going to remove some of the print functions so it doesn't clog up the lua log

Last edited:
Hello Pineappledan,

I test Canada and I like it . Effectively, gold with Coureur des bois missions is a little high.
I noticed, I think, several problems.
- You saw it, nothing in lua give Colonial Capitalism promotion when Hudson's Bay Company is built
- When I start the first game, I had Avro Arrow in place of Hudson's Bay Company.
I delete it in ColoniaCanada.xml and after that, it's OK
-I don't play with 4UC but I think there will be a problem with the new unit (select a building as source)

--------------------------------
-- Civilization_Unit/BuildingClassOverrides
--------------------------------
INSERT INTO Civilization_UnitClassOverrides
(CivilizationType, UnitClassType, UnitType)
SELECT 'CIVILIZATION_COLONIALCANADA', 'UNITCLASS_GREAT_WAR_INFANTRY', 'UNIT_JFD_GE_EXPEDITIONARY'
WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Buildings WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_GERMANY_TEUTONIC_ORDER');

Thank you very mutch for this CIV, I like that there is Canada in the playable civilizations and the mechanisms are really interesting.

Last edited:
The Colonial Capitalism promotion is not added via lua, but I take you meaning. I have fixed that and will re-upload soon

There shouldn't be any problems. The unit is added with no error when I tried it with 4UC. The SQL checks if the Teutonic order exists as a value in the game (it's exclusive to 4UC germany). If Teutonic Order exists, then 4UC is installed, so the UNIT_JFD_GE_EXPEDITIONARY is added as well.

That's a strange occurrence, with the Avro Arrow... I tried to replicate that, but I haven't had that issue in my own games. The HBC doesn't appear in the tech tree (too many other things stacked on guilds already), but it appears just fine on the other screens when I try

UPDATE: V.2 is live

Last edited:
Top Bottom