Common Errors and/or Crashes Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thnx a lot. I will try this svn-thingy then, downloaded the last version from civfanatics-c2c homepage, so that might do the trick. I reckon my saves will still work?
And - the save certainly is end of turn...

v22 is released later today. Don't worry about SVN if you don't want to for now - just grab v22 tomorrow and see if you still have the issue.

Edit - I just checked and I can confirm that v22 has no crash on end turn from your save game (it plays through to the next turn fine). Whether it will be a viable game position when upgraded to v22 I'm less sure of ;) The assyrians destroy hordes of your units that first turn (dunno if they did under v21 too, or if that is down to the AI improvements since v21 was released). Also the addition of crime in v22 is going to be something of a shock to the system for mature games that have been built up without any regard to crime fighting (though that applies to the AI too, so it'll not be a hardship only the human player bears!). In your game the crime rate in Moscow is 131 aftr the end turn, and increasing at 146 per turn, so it's likely to be crippling pretty fast (anyhting over 500 is going to hurt!).

I'm guessing any mature game save from an earlier release will have big problems, since you probably never built any of the anti-crime buildings because of their gold consumption and no huge benefits (before v22 that is). Handling it will require rushing all the crime fighting you can, but the crime rates are so high that they may just swamp people before they are able to do that.

Okay, I fixed my crashing problem, the MAF's. But now, ever since I reached Sedantary Lifestyle and started pumping out workers, it freezes for a very long time at the end of each turn.

The way I stopped the MAF's is using the memsaver option, and a couple other things.

Okay, I fixed my crashing problem, the MAF's. But now, ever since I reached Sedantary Lifestyle and started pumping out workers, it freezes for a very long time at the end of each turn.

The way I stopped the MAF's is using the memsaver option, and a couple other things.

If you are automating your workers, and you a using v21 (not the SVN version) then it's a known bug and is fixed in v22.

Ah, Alright. It seems to have stopped when I disbanded a large amount of workers, since I had around 3 for each city which is a bit much when I have 10 cities.

But another thing I noticed, now I don't know if this is the thread for this, but the AI on noble difficulty is extremely slow to get techs and grow.

It's 600 BC and most of them are still either in very early ancient with 1-4 settlements, or late tribal with only one or two settlements.

While I am just racing ahead of them. And believe me this isn't because I am good, I suck at civ 4 and I am used to playing settler. Plus, I shouldn't have to increase my difficulty for the ai to be on par with me.

But another thing I noticed, now I don't know if this is the thread for this, but the AI on noble difficulty is extremely slow to get techs and grow.

It's 600 BC and most of them are still either in very early ancient with 1-4 settlements, or late tribal with only one or two settlements.

While I am just racing ahead of them. And believe me this isn't because I am good, I suck at civ 4 and I am used to playing settler. Plus, I shouldn't have to increase my difficulty for the ai to be on par with me.

You need higher difficulty in this mod. Look at bug menu -> caveman 2 cosmos -> flexible difficulty or ->change difficulty. That way you can adjust difficulty not only at beginning of the game but also in the middle of one.

I think if you play noble in other mods, play monarch or emperor in C2C at least.

You need higher difficulty in this mod. Look at bug menu -> caveman 2 cosmos -> flexible difficulty or ->change difficulty. That way you can adjust difficulty not only at beginning of the game but also in the middle of one.

I think if you play noble in other mods, play monarch or emperor in C2C at least.

Alright, thanks. I appreciate the help guys, love this mod, and its a good thing I get help solving my problems.

Quill18 introduced me to this mod, and I love it. :goodjob:

v22 is released later today. Don't worry about SVN if you don't want to for now - just grab v22 tomorrow and see if you still have the issue.

Edit - I just checked and I can confirm that v22 has no crash on end turn from your save game (it plays through to the next turn fine). Whether it will be a viable game position when upgraded to v22 I'm less sure of ;) The assyrians destroy hordes of your units that first turn (dunno if they did under v21 too, or if that is down to the AI improvements since v21 was released). Also the addition of crime in v22 is going to be something of a shock to the system for mature games that have been built up without any regard to crime fighting (though that applies to the AI too, so it'll not be a hardship only the human player bears!). In your game the crime rate in Moscow is 131 aftr the end turn, and increasing at 146 per turn, so it's likely to be crippling pretty fast (anyhting over 500 is going to hurt!).

I'm guessing any mature game save from an earlier release will have big problems, since you probably never built any of the anti-crime buildings because of their gold consumption and no huge benefits (before v22 that is). Handling it will require rushing all the crime fighting you can, but the crime rates are so high that they may just swamp people before they are able to do that.
Thanks for trying out. But it seems to have happened again, just a few turns later. This time i've updated with svn, so I'd appreciate it if you'd see again whether it works with you. Save attached.

Anyways - does crime have to do with my enormously increasing per-turn deficit? And the 53% inflation?

Attachments

• ejf AD-2617xxx.part1.rar
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • ejf AD-2617xxx.part2.rar
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • ejf AD-2617xxx.part3.rar
    407.4 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for trying out. But it seems to have happened again, just a few turns later. This time i've updated with svn, so I'd appreciate it if you'd see again whether it works with you. Save attached.

Anyways - does crime have to do with my enormously increasing per-turn deficit? And the 53% inflation?

It'll be a few days before I can check since I'm in the middle of a large change.

On crime and inflation - crime may well be responsible for tidly escalating deficits in converted games from v21 where you had not built anti crime buildings (because there was no need). Inflation should not be affected, but if you are playing on epic speed (are you?) then there is an inflation issue posted about in one of the other threads a couple of days ago. Looks like were just going t remove the inflatonmmechanic altogether soon (but not definate yet)

Wanna share with me plz :) PM me copy of your .ini perhaps.

@ejf if you find the file game
C:\Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4Gamespeedinfo

right click edit, and you will see all the game speeds etc. Go to the one you play and change
iInflationPercent = The rate at which inflation increases. Normal is 27

eg: ETERNITY SPEED
<iInflationPercent>4</iInflationPercent> Change the 4. The lower the number the slower inflation grows. Not 100% if this affects AI aswell..

hey,

I'm constantly getting a CTD at about 2740 ad. I'm playing a GEM game on normal speed. It is definitetly reproducable, I even tried loading 5 turns earlier, changing thing, but it just postponed the crash for 1 turn.
I attached the last save before crash.
Any advice welcome!

I'm experiencing a similar problem as Ejf: at some point during normal gameplay, I get an inexplicable CTD. Reloading from an earlier save sometimes postpones the crash, but mostly doesn't.

I've included two game saves. One is a "test" game ("Alone"), the other is a normal game ("China"). The first crashes when you end the turn, the second tends to crash a few turns later.

I'm playing C2C 22.1, without SVN.

Attachments

• Alone.CivBeyondSwordSave
    407.7 KB · Views: 52
  • China.CivBeyondSwordSave
    891.4 KB · Views: 69
I'm experiencing a similar problem as Ejf: at some point during normal gameplay, I get an inexplicable CTD. Reloading from an earlier save sometimes postpones the crash, but mostly doesn't.

I've included two game saves. One is a "test" game ("Alone"), the other is a normal game ("China"). The first crashes when you end the turn, the second tends to crash a few turns later.

I'm playing C2C 22.1, without SVN.

Could you post the minidumps for the crashes also please.

Edit - they should be (well the most recent should since they over-write) in the same folder as your beyond the swotrd executable, which will vary depending on how you installed (for me it's c:\program files(x86)\firaxis games\sid meyers civilization\beyond the sword). The filename is 'minidump.dmp'

Here you go. Hope it helps you figure it out!

Attachments

• MiniDumpAlone.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 53
  • MiniDumpChina.zip
    13 KB · Views: 43
Updated to latest SVN but getting dozens of XML errors at start. did I export the SVN incorrectly or something? also for some reason I have the icon that my audio defined fine has been modified and updating the SVN doesn't fix it.

Here you go. Hope it helps you figure it out!

Both of your crashes are in the Civ4 main engine, not the DLL I'm afraid. That probably means either that you're out of memory, or have a graphics issue. See various threads with advise on cutting down graphics overhead, memory usage etc. for possible ways to mitigate it.

Usual suspects would be not having the /3G switch on a 32-bit OS (or not having enough physical memory if less than a 4G machine), or graphic options turned up higher than might be best.

Can also turn of the city building rendering compleetly and see if that helps as it does for some people (I think someone also posted on some basic INI setting to allow units to page to disc also recently)

the 3GB switch is really amazing for older computers btw... works like a charm. Reference pg 84 on the main Caveman2Cosmos thread for a link to further info on it.

I keep crashing to desktop at the end of this turn. Game has worked fine up to this point, turns have been going much faster than they ever have before. Hoping someone can take a look and see what might be happening.

Attachments

• Crash.7z
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
I keep crashing to desktop at the end of this turn. Game has worked fine up to this point, turns have been going much faster than they ever have before. Hoping someone can take a look and see what might be happening.

Is this SVN version or V22 release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom