1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Patch - How To Install

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jun 13, 2014.

1. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

It would be nice to have more options in the Vox Populi installer so that it is more modular.

I'm not sure that I'm sold on the City-State Diplomacy Mod (CSD) for Brave New World (v 27) module. It takes a lot of effort to become allies with city states and your influence over the city state declines too fast to make it worth pursing in my opinion. I have to keep building diplomatic type units and fulfill city state quests just to stay in the good graces of one city state. Multiply this by 12 - 16 city states and it becomes a micro-management nightmare.

In my last few games I've all but ignored the city states and spent my time and resources elsewhere and actually ended up being further ahead in the long run.

I really like the Civ IV Diplomacy features module and have no complaints with it.

I understand that I could just install the Community Patch, Community Balance Overhaul (CBO), More Luxuries, and Civ IV Diplomacy Mod but then I miss out on the Community Balance Overhaul - Compatibility Files (EUI) which ties it all together and makes all the modules compatible with each other. I looked through the files and it is possible to manually remove it, however I'm not confident in doing so as I'm not sure I understand the full repercussions.

My request is to have a more modular install. Keep up the great work as always!

2. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

I fix that using GIMP. I open the dds file and re-export with mipmaps. Looks fine! Really beautiful.

3. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

I have noticed a bug with the AI trading. Roughly four times per game an AI opponent will offer me a trade and I click 'Accept' and then they reject their own trade offer?!?!

I've found that talking with AI opponents usually doesn't get me very far (they reject most things, even trades that are in their favor, says "impossible" was too frequently). I usually have to sit back and wait for the AI to come to me and make trade offers, offers of friendship, etc. It's kind of funny but one time I offered an AI opponent 'Open Borders' (both parties) and they rejected it ("impossible") and the very next turn they came to me with the exact same offer and I accepted it. Sometimes the AI is just too unwilling to make good deals. One AI opponent was getting beat up pretty badly and I came in and offered a Defensive Pact (I was a lot more powerful than them and we had 'friendship' status as well as 'open borders') and they said "impossible".

Sometimes I will offer the AI 'open borders' and ask for nothing in return (free trade offer) and they say "impossible". I'm usually playing on King or Emperor difficulty levels (not the two hardest - Immortal and Deity). The AI will always accept free gold and resource offers though which is good.

Diplomacy and trade deals need a lot more intelligence.

4. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

You can automate diplomats.

Post for me?

5. droberts97470

droberts97470 Warlord

Ok, I took all of the mods previously installed and moved them. Than I have reinstalled the community patch.

There are only the 6 mods described above in the folder now.

If there is anything else I should do please let me know.

I also deleted all of the saved files

6. AmberSky

AmberSky Chieftain

Not sure if anybody had reported this before: After conquering a Babylon city( previous city-state Antwerp), I didn't get any choice of "liberate"/"annex"/"create puppet city"/"raze", instead, the city itself went to be a puppet. Right after this action, I can no longer see any "unit"/"building" tree in all of my cities, they went blank, just like a puppet city. I've tried to remove all mods/savedgames and re-install the community patch, any new games started out the same, build list is blank and I can't even finish the first turn. What am I doing wrong here?

Another issue is the great work slot, I only see one city all filled with great art work but unable to move.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

I haven't seen any of these issues. Try having only Vox Populi installed and no other mods. Delete the following folders from your /Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ folder: cache, ModUserData, and ModdedSaves
    If you are using EUI with it, make sure the UI_bci folder got installed in your Steam game folder ./Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Assets/DLC/ (very different path from the one above, not the one in Documents)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  8. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

One mod that really improves the AI that works well with Vox Populi is the AnC-Flavors mod. The AI makes much smarter building, unit, and other decisions in the game. It increases the game difficulty by itself.

I also managed to create a '(6a) Community Balance Overhaul - Compatibility Files (EUI)' version that doesn't use or rely on CSD (City-State Diplomacy mod). I've run several games with the edits and have had no issues or glitches. If the authors of Vox Populi are interested in it I'm happy to give it to them, just let me know how. I understand that were not suppose to link downloads directly on this forum.

I basically removed the CSD folder in '(6a) Community Balance Overhaul - Compatibility Files (EUI)' and edited the following files to remove CSD specific changes:

PlotHelpManager.lua
    TopPanel.lua
    PlotMouseoverInclude.lua
    EUI_tooltip_library.lua
    CityView.lua
    GPList.xml
    GPList.lua

9. droberts97470

droberts97470 Warlord

I think it worked to move all of the mods in the folder and reinstall. I'm on turn 200 something and I've had no c ashes. Thank you

10. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

Is this supposed to happen? All this barbs (21!) spammed in just one turn (because of happiness issues).
    20170806210924_1.jpg

11. 59saintdane

59saintdane Warlord

After I install the mod the Community Patch doesn't show up in the mods screen. Everything else is there but with the community patch missing I can't use anything. Any ideas for what's going wrong? I am missing a few DLCs but I was hoping it wouldn't prevent me from using the mod (I think I've used it in the past without difficulty).

12. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

1) You probably have Whoward's Various DLL components in your Mods folder. It shares a mod ID with CP, so the game cannot see the CP folder (even if not activated). To be sure move all mods out of your Mods folder and then run the VP autoinstaller again

2) If you want to play Vox Populi you need all DLC, that's without a question. They are very cheap these days, buy them from Steam

13. Bascule2000

Bascule2000 Warlord

I have a problem with the leader discussion dialog. In the leader screen, the discuss options don't appear. The trade, demand, and declare war options all work, but when I press "discuss", the options "Shall we declare war against...", "publicly denounce x", "Don't settle near us", etc. don't appear.

I got the mods from here: https://mega.nz/#F!fcsEhALY!XpWbkVod5utm-S1s-7TUhQ.
    I copied them to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS, except for UI_bc1 which I put in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC.

In the Civ 5 mod setup screen, I enabled the following mods:
    (1) Community Patch
    (2) Community Balance Overhaul
    (3) CSD for CBP
    (4) Civ IV Diplomatic Features
    (5) More Luxuries
    (6a) Community Balance Overhaul - Compatibility Files (EUI)

This directory doesn't show up in the mods setup screen:
    (1a) Community Patch - C4DF Addon

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? I wonder if it's some problem with the civ 4 diplomacy options, because of where it's failing. I'd like to try to fix it myself, but I'm not sure which version of DiscussionDialog.lua to look in - each of the mod directories has a copy.

Thanks very much!

14. Bascule2000

Bascule2000 Warlord

I fixed it!

I enabled logging, as described in https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to-enable-logging.487482/

Lua.log showed the following error:

Runtime Error: C:\Users\<me>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(6a) Community Balance Overhaul - Compatibility Files (EUI)\LUA\DiscussionDialog.lua:92: attempt to call global 'GetMoodInfo' (a nil value)

I added the following lines, which I found in CityBannerManager.lua, to DiscussionDialog.lua:

include( "EUI_tooltips" )
    local GetMoodInfo = EUI.GetMoodInfo

Problem solved!

15. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

You do not need to copy/delete/edit anything anywhere, just use the autoinstaller linked from the opening post of this thread. It will do everyting by itself. Your Civ5 and Steam are in standard locations, so you do not need to bother with the manual installation.

I seriously doubt your problem is solved and suggest reinstalling using the autoinstaller, there may be other problems you may not know of.

16. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

I've been using Vox Populi for a while now and overall I feel it is a great addition to my game. It is well done and thought out. Congratulations!

A few suggestions / weaknesses in the Vox Populi overhaul:

1. Installation should be more modular - i.e. checkboxes for all the modules you want and then the install configures it properly with only the options checked

2. Units that need a bit more combat rating: Battleship, XCOM Squad, Submarines - These units aren't much of an upgrade especially since they aren't available until the later eras. Land and Naval battles are largely determined by number of units. Four weak units will beat and destroy two powerful units in nearly every case. You get a huge advantage when outnumbering your opponent in this game. I frequently get my elite units destroyed by much weaker units. The thing I noticed with the design of Civ 5 is that any unit can beat any unit regardless of strength, technology, or era. It is kind of funny to have Cannons destroy my Battleship. This would be joke in real life but not with the design of Civ 5. Outnumbering your opponent is a much more effective strategy than building elite units. Elite units only win if your unit count and the opponents unit count are the same, otherwise numbers (outnumbering your opponent) wins the game. For this reason some of the later era units should get an increase in combat strength above what they already have.

3. Diplomacy needs a major overhaul. Diplomacy is only effective (from my experience at least) for the first 33% of the game. After that, the AI gets a small sniff in the wind that you are winning and 50% of the AI opponents with denounce you and go to war with you. Once this occurs nearly all diplomacy options are always rejected even by friendly civs, including: Open Borders, Defensive Alliance, World Map, Declaration of Friendship, Research Agreements, etc. The only diplomacy options that work are simple Gold and Resource trades in the opposing civs favor. I can gift gold and resources to the other civs all day long and the other diplomacy options are "soft locked" from this point on in the game. It is nearly impossible to maintain long term friendships in Civ 5 once the AI believes you are winning. I feel that the player should be able to establish long term alliances with the AI civs. Another problem is that once you request a "Declaration of Friendship" and it gets rejected, it is no longer an option for the rest of the game for that particular civ. For this (and many other reasons) I've found it best to let the AI come to me and make offers and not the other way around aside from simple Gold and Resource trades (the exception to this is the "Accept Embassy" diplomacy option which is usually always accepted).

Thank you to all the authors and contributors of Vox Populi! You've done an amazing job!

17. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Re: 3, you can't treat diplo like civ 5 vanilla or (the horror) civ 6. If you cultivate a true friendship with a civ, they will overlook your victory ambitions. The thing is, the AI wants to win as well, and will often feign friendship until it is no longer useful to them. You just need to get used to it and/or don't be overly aggressive all at one. Small jumps in power scare the AI less than big ones.

G

18. Jarru

Jarru Chieftain

Last 2 games I played (Ethiopia, Russia, king, comunitas, rest on standard, no events) all AIs which picked ideology went order. 2nd game i played I picked autocracy but got hit with unhapiness from 5 other order civs badly and had to abandon game (no will to switch).
    It was just 2 games so sample is too small but I wonder whether AIs tend to pick Order more often than other ideologies?

19. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

Every game I play seems to repeat the same pattern. Once I start winning, 50% of the civs denounce me and declare war. The ones that don't denounce me and declare war block me from all future relations aside from simple gold and resource trades, even though they show as "Friendly".

I'm looking at the code changes Vox Populi makes for AI Diplomacy and am trying a few changes in: LeaderCompatibility.sql and LeaderPersonalities.sql. I lowered the chance that all leaders will denounce by 50%. I also lowered 'VictoryCompetitiveness=4' for Diplomat and Coalition civs/leaders. Expansionist and Conqueror civs/leaders I left at 8. I also made numerous other adjustments to the files. I'm play testing it now. I have a software development and software testing background.

After looking through the code, I now know never to trust Expansionist and Conqueror civs/leaders. My eyes were opened by what I saw - low trust, loyalty, etc. In all future games I'll concentrate on taking Expansionist and Conqueror civs/leaders out first and attempt to establish lasting friendships with Diplomat and Coalition civs/leaders. I almost wish I hadn't looked at the code because now I know who I can trust and who I can't (almost feels like cheating).

In my last playthrough I also increased the combat rating of the Battleship, XCOM Squad, and Submarines and thought it was better balanced (UnitCombat.sql). I believe the authors of Vox Populi got all the other units right (which is awesome and incredible)!

20. crushboss

crushboss Chieftain

I finished a playthrough on a standard sized map (so it wouldn't be too long of a game) and I really liked the AI adjustments I made. I fixed several logic errors in LeaderCompatibility.sql and LeaderPersonalities.sql when dealing with random and game generated personalities. There were several cases where a Coalition civ/leader could be inappropriately flagged as Diplomat and a Conquer civ/leader could could be inappropriately flagged as Expansionist. The problem is that some civs/leaders can fit both criteria. Since the logic checks are in the following order: Coalition, Conqueror, Diplomat, and Expansionist (in LeaderCompatibility.sql, LeaderPersonalities.sql is slightly different with Conqueror begin the first and default) - you can have a civ/leader which fits both criteria adopting the later logic check and be flagged inappropriately. A few of the settings didn't make sense (at least to me in my life experience) so I fixed those as well. I made small adjustments to the four personality types (Coalition, Conqueror, Diplomat, and Expansionist) so that it is no longer possible for a civ/leader to fit into multiple personality types. I made the adjustments in both sql files so they both match perfectly.

If you are interested in taking a look at my changes I'm happy to give you the following files in any way you choose: LeaderCompatibility.sql, LeaderPersonalities.sql, and UnitCombat.sql. If not I'm happy to just use them for myself. I'm not sure I want to release mods for Civ 5 when most players have moved on to Civ 6. Due to all the reviews I've read I'm not purchasing Civ 6 until they fix the massive problems with it.

Happy gaming!

briantjack and Owlbebach like this.