• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

There's a 1 TB SSD available but it costs nearly $3000 which I believe you could probably buy a whole new gaming computer for.

I got a 1 TB HDD installed by a local computer store for about $120, and if you say "well why didn't you order a drive online and install it yourself" I don't have a functioning credit card anymore.

How do I make adboe flash player work automatically? On every website page I visit my browser prommpts me to allow the adobe flash player add on each time. Before I press allow it won't load videos and stuff like that. I also can't run off-line programs and games that require it at all there is no option to allow for it.

Can anyone help or does anyone have the slightest clue of what I'm talking about

Anyone have any idea how intrusive this is? What might it prevent me from doing? I checked google but I couldn't find anything.
Thanks

Data needs to go to your output devices (speakers, screens) to tell them what pretty noises/lights to make.
If you can intercept that easily, protecting digital copies of the media themselves would make little sense - eavesdrop and re-encode in your preferred storage format.

This is not a technology the average user will interact with, but it's one that will cause endless annoyance to the average user. Malfunctions may prevent playback of legitimate media, and it doesn't care about quaint outdated concepts like fair use.

Recommended action: Sob quietly, buy more DRM-locked media to console yourself.

Data needs to go to your output devices (speakers, screens) to tell them what pretty noises/lights to make.
If you can intercept that easily, protecting digital copies of the media themselves would make little sense - eavesdrop and re-encode in your preferred storage format.

This is not a technology the average user will interact with, but it's one that will cause endless annoyance to the average user. Malfunctions may prevent playback of legitimate media, and it doesn't care about quaint outdated concepts like fair use.

Recommended action: Sob quietly, buy more DRM-locked media to console yourself.

Any idea what it does/how it works? If it is there to prevent me from installing a pirated copy of windows or something but doesn't interfere with anything I don't have a problem with it at all. If it decides that I can't use a program like daemon tools or fraps/dxtory to make/use a backup copy of that game/movie I legally own but whose disk is getting really scratched up, well that's another story entirely. I looked online and all I could find was that it was there, but I can't find out what exactly it is supposed to do.
Edit: turns out it is designed to stop people from coping blu-ray disks. Thanks for the help

That means your SSD is worthlessly small, get one that's big enough.

Maybe a little problem with that:

There's a 1 TB SSD available but it costs nearly $3000.

If I had that much money to drop I don't think I'd be buying an SSD with it

Even for the smaller ones the price is sort of high

And what about all my other stuff?

Question: Should a USB drive be running hot? I was putting some files on one and when I went to take it out I nearly burned my hand. When I googled it I got a bunch of weird unrelated stuff.

With what? It took me long enough to save up for a hard drive, (though I ended up with surplus)

Sometimes in Canada it's harder.

Mars is just being a snob.

Then again, I'd expect a 1 TB external hard drive to be ~€80, so I would expect similar prices for internal hard drives.

Hate to be "that guy", but can anybody help me here, I feel like this was lost in the progress bar discussion.

So, my friend is upgrading his graphics card and is willing to sell me his old one on the cheap. For me it would be an upgrade from a GT 430 to a GTX 460 by Pny. However, I know I will need a power supply upgrade from 430W to 500W to handle the new card, this should be sufficient, correct?

Also, on the product's Amazon page, it says that the card is overclocked, should I be concerned about burnout or anything like that?

Furthermore, I have a Dell Inspiron case, do you guys think my cooling will be sufficient in the case?

How do I make adobe flash player work automatically? On every website page I visit my browser prompts me to allow the adobe flash player add on each time. Before I press allow it won't load videos and stuff like that. I also can't run off-line programs and games that require it at all there is no option to allow for it.

What browser are you using?

So, my friend is upgrading his graphics card and is willing to sell me his old one on the cheap. For me it would be an upgrade from a GT 430 to a GTX 460 by Pny. However, I know I will need a power supply upgrade from 430W to 500W to handle the new card, this should be sufficient, correct?

Also, on the product's Amazon page, it says that the card is overclocked, should I be concerned about burnout or anything like that?

Furthermore, I have a Dell Inspiron case, do you guys think my cooling will be sufficient in the case?

Sorry for the lack of response.

Wattage is pretty much a worthless statistic when it comes to power supplies. I'd be pretty skeptical about a 430W to 500W upgrade (assuming the identical power supplies otherwise) - if your 430W can't handle something, 500W doesn't give you much more room. I'd look for a PSU from a reputable manufacturer that has a minimum 38A on the +12V rail.

Manufacturer GPU overclocking is pretty much irrelevant to anything.

Hard to tell if cooling will be sufficient. If you can figure out the max TDP of any CPU/GPU option that Dell had available to purchase originally, I wouldn't go much above that. (Assuming none of their options have 2-slot cards exhausting from the second slot, that gets you a bit of extra wiggle room given the card you'd be getting does have that.)

Sorry for the lack of response.

Wattage is pretty much a worthless statistic when it comes to power supplies. I'd be pretty skeptical about a 430W to 500W upgrade (assuming the identical power supplies otherwise) - if your 430W can't handle something, 500W doesn't give you much more room. I'd look for a PSU from a reputable manufacturer that has a minimum 38A on the +12V rail.

Manufacturer GPU overclocking is pretty much irrelevant to anything.

Hard to tell if cooling will be sufficient. If you can figure out the max TDP of any CPU/GPU option that Dell had available to purchase originally, I wouldn't go much above that. (Assuming none of their options have 2-slot cards exhausting from the second slot, that gets you a bit of extra wiggle room given the card you'd be getting does have that.)

So this Corsair would be a good fit? My current PSU is from Corsair and from what I;ve heard they're quite good.

Also, I can't tell what the max TDP of the options Dell had because they discontinued my computer and the ones they currently sell (which appear very similar in design) have limited customization options (you can't even change the RAM!). Should I just install it and monitor the temperatures under load for a while to make sure the card isn't running hot?

Top Bottom