1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Spec. Required

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by jonh, May 11, 2016.

1. Delvi

Delvi Chieftain

It's great news, hope they will specify if there will be support for UHD.

2. mrwho

mrwho Prince

I just hope that the turns times won't be so abhorrent.

3. AdelineJ

AdelineJ Warlord

Hello !

I searched in forum but I didn't find informations I want... :confused:

I would know if Civ 6 runs with my PC : I would want to try this game before to buy a new pc...
    I have got a Toshiba Satellite P50-A-14C. Civ 5 BNW runs very well with good graphics (see the picture).
    More, do you know if, when the game will be released, a demo will be available ?

Thank you !

AdelineJ

Attached Files:

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Merged with Computer Spec. Required thread.

Official specs haven't been released yet, but the speculation is that if you can run Civ V you should be able to run Civ VI. As for a demo, again there's been no announcement, but there will be many YouTube videos released before and after the official release, so you should be able to view videos to get an idea of whether you would enjoy the game.

5. AdelineJ

AdelineJ Warlord

Thank you.
    I will say to you when I try.

But, I didn't understand : can I buy this game now, with updates sometimes or if I buy now, I have an "priority access" the date of its release to download (with other players evidently) ? I feel the first suggestion is more real than the second. Is it true ?

P.S. Sorry to open a thread. I didn't know if this one agrees on my question...

6. IdiotStyle

IdiotStyle Warlord

When you preorder it you have advantages that usually go from reduction of price, download ! day before so you're ready to play and free stuff. Depends on the game but this one gives you the right to have aztecs the day it comes out or then to wait 90 days.
    There may be the predownload so you can play right when the game comes out.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

With a small asterisk (as long as you can run Civ V in DirectX 11 mode because DirectX 9 support was dropped for Beyond Earth)

8. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

I know this is just speculating.

But my old pc at my dad`s room has an i7 2600k cpu and 780 gtx gpu. 8 gb memory, win 7.
    For Civ 5 i found it to be just a bit to harsh for this setup. The game is just poorly optimized. As turn times tended to make the game barely unplayable on the largest maps.

Will civ 6 be less demanding as i`ve read that more effort has been put to make it work on multiple cores (like 4 instead of 2). Will this pc handle the turn times well enough to make it posible to play at least on large maps. What do you think?

Moderator Action: Merged into existing thread.

9. JtW

JtW Prince

I think it's impossible to tell. We have no information on the requirements, and they use a new engine which could be better optimized or not.

One of the early reviewers at the press event mentioned occasional performance problems - and I don't suppose they let the game run on a weak machine there. So I wouldn't expect miracles.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

We don't know what civ6's system requirements will be. So at this point, it is pure speculation. The fact that the game is using a brand new engine and will use 64 bit gives me hope that it will be better optimized.

11. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Huh, yeah, I do wonder about that. In terms of being able to run at higher res, Civ5 did well but the UI didn't scale too well.

I also wonder what the 21:9 support is going to be like. Again, Civ5 did a decent job with it but some of the UI (main menu, leader screens) didn't look quite at home. Hoping that Civ6 takes stuff like that into account.

12. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

Modern games tend to be terribly optimized, both in performance and installation size. I was surprised at how much my PC struggles to run Street Fighter 5 compared to Street Fighter 4. Diablo 3 is a performance and hard drive space hog compared to Diablo 2. Even a card game like Hearthstone is rocking close to 2 Gb.

Even the more indie games like Pillars of Eternity have installation sizes much larger than the 90s/early 2000s games they were based upon. I don't play FPS games at all and I'm noticing the ballooning installation sizes of games that don't look like they have cutting edge graphics at all.

13. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Still no official word?

14. paradigmish

paradigmish Chieftain

Hello CivFanatics,
    I am a long time fan of this forum but I never had the opportunity to post anything. Being so hyped about the upcoming Civ6 I have a concern... Will I be able to run civ 6 on bootcamp with my macbook pro 2012 Intel HD 4000 1536MB ?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I really hope this will work out !

Moderator Action: Merged into Computer Spec Required

15. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

16. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

It's being ported to OS X and linux. Doesn't look like it will be a simultaneous release though. No official word (that I'm aware of) on timing.

@mercade your link refers back to this thread...

17. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

o_O You're comparing the installation sizes of games that are 20 years+ old with current games and draw conclusions on "optimization" from that? What makes modern games large are mostly high-res textures, tons of audio files and pre-rendered video content.

18. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

OK... First off, let me say that I know that it is way too early to determine the final hardware requirements for Civilization VI. That said, what I am interested is how does the game compare to Civilization V in regards to hardware? Basically, a general idea on the need to upgrade. I am considering upgrading my video card, whether it is needed or not. From what I have seen, it doesn't look like it will be too taxing as the graphics are merely different, not improved. That's not a bad thing. I do understand that the maps will be bigger, which is what I prefer anyway.

Of course, this question is not limited to the developers but also anybody else that may have played the build or have a better understanding about the workings of games and the hardware requirements.

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Yeah, I wonder a lot about this too. I know, too early for specifics. But a 'if your rig runs CiV it should get about the same performance on CiVI' would be nice to know.

20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Are the maps bigger? or do we just get more land in each map this time around? I swear they said that the maps are inherently larger as much as that there's more space this time around and less water.