Confession time - what have you never done in this game that other people do routinely?

• I seldom chop. No chops most games, sometimes 1-2 to help a critical construction. I am not sure if I've ever harvested a resource. I know chopping helps, I just don't like it.
  • I'm too lazy to move the main governors. If fighting wars, I use one as a front-line governor to help with loyalty, but the main governors almost always get set up in my core cities and stay there.
  • This isn't intentional but I never build the Great Bath. Seems like the AI likes it a lot, and one of them always builds it before I can even consider it.
  • I very rarely get to use nukes. If I'm going for domination then wars become a breeze once balloons are available, and nukes come too late. If I'm playing for a different victory condition, there is little need to nuke anyone.
  • As should be clear from the above, I'm really not about minmaxing or even approaching optimal play. I'm not into trying to win as fast as possible, and I'm experienced enough that the game is not too challenging anyway below Deity. I'd actually enjoy more challenge, but not in the way Civ6 does it - the higher difficulty levels are essentially about giving you a large handicap to overcome, which isn't terribly fun.

Same with governors... except for sometimes in the lategame moving liang around to make city parks, or moving reyna/moksha around to buy districts, they usually just stay where I put them initially.

I never build the Great Bath

Is this even possible on any level above Prince? Even on Prince I'm sure it goes fast. I've conquered it, but I don't think I have ever built it. Same goes for Hanging Gardens, though that one I did build in my noob days on lower difficulty levels like Prince. The AI just loves those 2 wonders.

I might actually have to look up the video for that one, not sure I ever saw it.

Playing as another Civilization than just Japan. And i am not a japanese

Strange but true :D

Never gone for a religious victory

In civ 4 i used nukes, but dont think i have nuked anyone

Is this even possible on any level above Prince? Even on Prince I'm sure it goes fast. I've conquered it, but I don't think I have ever built it. Same goes for Hanging Gardens, though that one I did build in my noob days on lower difficulty levels like Prince. The AI just loves those 2 wonders.

I might actually have to look up the video for that one, not sure I ever saw it.

I can usually get the Hanging Gardens, though I'll be sure to get something that gives a wonder construction bonus if I go for it. I also like that wonder, and it's great for Inca and Maya in particular. Now the Apadana is another wonder I can never get, it's never that high priority for me but some AI will start on it as soon as available.

Of the YouTubers I like McWhiskey and Marbozir. I have to say though that amongst all of them there is a downplaying of religion in favour of science and domination. Perhaps they are the 'optimal' way of playing, but I prefer to mix things up a bit. Game Mechanic is obviously good at what he does, but spends far too long thinking about moves - I'm talking from the perspective of the viewer, not complaining about his gaming style.

Everytime i watch deity 'lets play' the tactic seems to be beat up the AI using its incompetence with 1upt.

Never won a science victory.
Won every other type (except score). Science victory usually devolves into domination victory for me or I get bored and start over.

Never won a science victory.
Won every other type (except score). Science victory usually devolves into domination victory for me or I get bored and start over.
Mayans are really good for science victory, IMHO. I got a fairly quick one by my standards.

I've never played as England. In any civ game.

Good question... Doing these for me is the exception rather than the rule:
* harvesting resources (even though I should do that at least before I construct a district on top of it)
* pillaging: no sense in destroying improvements that I'll own in a couple of turns
* being involved in the religion game in any way. The only thing I do is pantheons, I usually don't build a Holy Site in time to get a Great Prophet. I usually focus on science, and thus the Great Scientist that needs a Holy Site to play sits uselessly in one of my cities. I have never won a religious victory.
* taking out (walled) cities without bombers. It usually doesn't happen. I usually take a long time to build up my military and get ahead of the AI in science before I start attacking them.

Everytime i watch deity 'lets play' the tactic seems to be beat up the AI using its incompetence with 1upt.

I mean, peaceful play is even easier and needs far less work. domination means lots of hammers into units, lots of micromanagement, lots of AIs that hate you and don't want to trade with you. for peaceful play all you need is enough space for about 10 cities. as soon as you have friendship with your neighbors the game is over, either via diplo, culture or science.

Never bothered with a diplomatic victory. Too dang tedious. I wish they would clean up the cultural win screens and make it less irritating. Rant over.

I’ve tried beelining it with Qin on Immortal a few times to no success. It might take a random map roll where they happen to spawn without flood plains

Never bothered with a diplomatic victory. Too dang tedious. I wish they would clean up the cultural win screens and make it less irritating. Rant over.
DV has changed since the last patch. I won one by accident in my Maya game.

* pillaging: no sense in destroying improvements that I'll own in a couple of turns

that's only half-right. if it's a district, you might not want to have to spend the time to fix them once you conquer the city, so in this sense you're right.

For simple improvements, though ? All you need is a 1 charge builder and fix the pillaging... it doesn't even cost you a charge to do it. So the rewards/return on pillaging in this instance is very high,
and you should really entertain it.

Top Bottom