[C3C] Conquests of Might and Magic III (CoMM3 Epic)

The problem, is that the game will crash from 'missing files' if you only do that, because the game will not find all the original Conquests files as well. COMM3 and CCM have not modified/duplicated all the Conquests files, so you must still first 'merge/overwrite' those mod files into the original Conquests files (as well as make a backup if you wish to revert to regular Conquests files). To do this with all main-file mods will create a huge amount of hard drive space needed.

This is the benefit of simply cutting and pasting all Conquests Art, sounds, and Text and overwrite those in the PTW folder (good sense to make backup of mainfiles anyways). That way you only need to copy the mod art, sounds, text folders to the conquests directory without duplicating the main files, or overwriting anything ever again. Then you can use name conventions as you have shown above for any conquests mod ever made..

Anyone not familiar enough with doing these things, of course should proceed with caution.. or get assistance from others to help. At worst, a reinstall of civ 3 is needed, but things like save games will not be deleted if that happens.

The solution with the batch file also needs a (much smaller) copy and paste job of the original art and sounds files into the folder of the mod (textfiles only if the mod doesn´t hold them completely), but nothing has to be cut out.

Two things. How did you enable palace view in a first turn? I have to skip many turns in my game before I can build a palace. I guess I have standard settings.
The other thing is when I copy my sounds files, my soundtracks are not played. I can listen only regular Firaxis music. I put my music in Misc folder and you in Mp3 folder. I checked your music.txt and only the name of a folder is different. Is it matters?

Last edited:
Two things. How did you enable palace view in a first turn? I have to skip many turns in my game before I can build a palace. I guess I have standard settings.
The other thing is when I copy my sounds files, my soundtracks are not played. I can listen only regular Firaxis music. I put my music in Misc folder and you in Mp3 folder. I checked your music.txt and only the name of a folder is different. Is it matters?

Palace View first turn, was by accident. COMM3 civ's all start in 3rd and 4th era, And entering into a new era is one of the prereq's to get a piece of palace building. :) Buttercups guide to palace buildings gives most of the ways known.

Yea, I had to figure that out as well, seems when playing the game from the core conquests files, it uses these music files instead from the folders:
sounds/Build/IndModern
and sounds/Build/Misc
I think these mp3's are spread out among the Civ 3 folder, the PTW folder, and the Conquests folders, as they added new ones.

The solution with the batch file also needs a (much smaller) copy and paste job of the original art and sounds files into the folder of the mod (textfiles only if the mod doesn´t hold them completely), but nothing has to be cut out.

I see what you are saying. I think we are doing the same thing, just slightly different way. But I'm telling ya, unless someone still plays the PTW version, it's much easier to 'consolidate' the PTW and Conquests files. That way only need to have the mod files in the conquests directory. The original game will run even if missing the conquests art,sounds,text folders completely.

With the new method of doing Palace Views, it opens the door to customize the Palace View almost any way that one could want, allowing great customization.
I am making an update, and should be done soon, but here is some screenshots of in-game Palace being built up in the CoMM3 Castle faction (all graphics credit to HoMM3 of course). It now follows along more closely to the HoMM3 game, and provides some nicer eye candy as you build all 17 buildings.

Looks very nice, I prefer this one better than in earlier version with hero and units at the top of the screen. I guess one 1 of 17 building is called background image or you managed to add one more image to group of 00-16.pcx?

Regarding your answer in earlier posts, palace view enabled later in game is understood but how you managed to use your music is still not clear for me. You didn't described how did you figured out? I copied your sounds folders structure to my mod as well as music.txt but problem persist.

Hi, had an error playing as Castle2 King Rolland.
"Scenarios\COMM3\text\PediaIcons.txt".
WON_SPLASH_BLDG_ColossusWon
I've been enjoying the latest version of your mod, and I thank you for it.

Hi, had an error playing as Castle2 King Rolland.
"Scenarios\COMM3\text\PediaIcons.txt".
WON_SPLASH_BLDG_ColossusWon
I've been enjoying the latest version of your mod, and I thank you for it.

Hello Tigris of Gaul. I missed an error! Hopefully it's the only one, but thank you for catching it.

Here is a patch: PediaIconsCorrection for CoMM3 V1.00.zip
Unzip, and place the PediaIcons.txt in the Text folder, and it will fix that error.

I am glad you enjoy it, and welcome any feedback.

Looks very nice, I prefer this one better than in earlier version with hero and units at the top of the screen. I guess one 1 of 17 building is called background image or you managed to add one more image to group of 00-16.pcx?

Regarding your answer in earlier posts, palace view enabled later in game is understood but how you managed to use your music is still not clear for me. You didn't described how did you figured out? I copied your sounds folders structure to my mod as well as music.txt but problem persist.

Well, there is a bkgr.pcx file for the background (in the PalaceView folder). I haven't been successful adding more than 17 buildings. I may retry soon just to make sure I added everything correctly.

For sounds, I know if you play a mod as a Scenario (in the Conquests or Scenarios folder) then you can use the Build/MP3 method to play a list of songs Music.txt. I know you have to update the Music.txt to play different songs, and it will only play so many (like 30 something) or it acts up.
If you play an epic mod from the "New Game" menu option, then that uses music from the Build/IndModern and Build/Misc folders.

I believe that is how it works for the most part. Does that help?

If you play an epic mod from the "New Game" menu option, then that uses music from the Build/IndModern and Build/Misc folders.

I believe that is how it works for the most part. Does that help?

I have done that, added folders Build/IndModern and Build/Misc, replaced my mp3's with existing ones but I used original names as you did and it still doesn't work. Vanilla music only.

I have done that, added folders Build/IndModern and Build/Misc, replaced my mp3's with existing ones but I used original names as you did and it still doesn't work. Vanilla music only.
I checked all the folders, and there is also Sounds/build/ancient, Sounds/build/Middle Ages.. I see those in the in the civilization III folder.
PTW folder has some additional ones, Civ3PTW/Sounds/Build/Ancient Music, Sounds/Build/Japanese (might just be for the scenario I think), Sounds/Build/Mesoamerica.

I forgot about all those, they all probably need to be added to cover sounds in all parts of game when doing a Epic game mod!

I checked all the folders, and there is also Sounds/build/ancient, Sounds/build/Middle Ages.. I see those in the in the civilization III folder.
PTW folder has some additional ones, Civ3PTW/Sounds/Build/Ancient Music, Sounds/Build/Japanese (might just be for the scenario I think), Sounds/Build/Mesoamerica.

I forgot about all those, they all probably need to be added to cover sounds in all parts of game when doing a Epic game mod!

I have done that and then I deleted everything and copied and paste original conquest sounds files and folder structure and still have that problem. I have checked all txt files and copy my back up files over old files, then I reinstalled all game. Still nothing.
I think this has nothing to do with folder structure, there must be something else there.

I am testing the new version of COMM and I have a few remarks. First of all, it seems all techs are tradeable and AI's WILL trade them aggresively so even if I have the best bakers/turn, I am not guaranteed tech lead. In previous versions of COMM some impottant features (trade contacts, establish embassies, military alliances, ROP's, double worker speed, improved navigation) were associated with the techs in the Other branch, never researched by the AI. Now they are scattered around the tree and AI's will use them, like in any regular Civ3 game..

I am not sure if buildable Settlers (instead of being auto-produced by Palace) are a move in good direction, because it makes Agricultural "civs" much stronger. I wonder why domestic workers built by the player work with half speed (in my current game I play as the Rampart lead by Gelu - at last, because in the previous COMM's their workers were extremely lazy) while the ones autoproduced by Palace (and the one available from the start) work with normal speed. But I like lower unit costs very much, the same with the possibility to build high level units (instead of waiting for being autoproduced by a proper building in a town). Some other good changes are: if you want to build a higher level Mage guild (+Bakers) you need to go ahead in tech, the same with the availability of Castles and Water Reservoirs.

There are at least two things I have not figured out yet:
[- which tech unlocks Cobblestone Roads (COMM version of railroads)] Edit: Grail
- are there any buildings which increase production in towns (previously this was done by Citadels and Castles).

S.

Last edited:
Hey all! I can try to provide some answers to some of the reasons why I went the route I did.

I am testing the new version of COMM and I have a few remarks. First of all, it seems all techs are tradeable and AI's WILL trade them aggresively so even if I have the best bakers/turn, I am not guaranteed tech lead. In previous versions of COMM some impottant features (trade contacts, establish embassies, military alliances, ROP's, double worker speed, improved navigation) were associated with the techs in the Other branch, never researched by the AI. Now they are scattered around the tree and AI's will use them, like in any regular Civ3 game..

Yes, most all tech's can be traded.It is somewhat limited though, since civ's can use tech's that branch out, to trade for other ones. The AI will get a tech lead in the beginning usually, but if you build your libraries (Mage Guild's) as soon as you can, and continue to expand, you can catch up and outpace them. You can use weaker civ's and sell them techs for gpt, and can get a nice bankroll coming in usually, to keep your research higher. Even the toughest levels, aren't quite as tough as a normal civ game.

I am not sure if buildable Settlers (instead of being auto-produced by Palace) are a move in good direction, because it makes Agricultural "civs" much stronger. I wonder why domestic workers built by the player work with half speed (in my current game I play as the Rampart lead by Gelu - at last, because in the previous COMM's their workers were extremely lazy) while the ones autoproduced by Palace (and the one available from the start) work with normal speed.

I really thought about making this change for a while, and did so for a few reasons. The first is, that every civ starts with units that have different stats/weaknesses/strengths. So while a regular game, which starts e.g. with all 1.1.1 warriors, and then your 1.2.1 defensive unit, etc, having only auto-production of settlers makes sense. CoMM3, if that is the case, it made it too easy for the human to just find and destroy enemy civs, or wipe out their only settler in early game, especially if you start with a civ that has a slightly stronger level 1 unit. In the same way, AI civ's early game are pretty aggressive sometimes, and I think the game is a bit more exciting planning your build priorities, than just waiting.

The game doesn't start like normal games either. Because each civ has it's own unique city graphics, it forced some of the normal aspects of the game to be altered (like limited governments settings). The game starts where production and gold can be gained from the start, with an excellent form of government.

The Workers that are auto-produced are special, and work faster, and can defend (move 1). The workers the player/AI can build are slower working, and can be captured (but are move 2). This is primarily done so that the entire world isn't fully developed so fast. Irrigation civ's have higher costs for settlers, which does offset their 1 food to a degree, and I believe their workers cost more also, which slows their ability to improve their land to a degree. Although they can irrigate desert, which is a big boost once pathfinding is discovered... from tests the AI has a small advantage making settlers, but not over-the-top (much less than a normal game civ on a bunch of cows!) :)

But I like lower unit costs very much, the same with the possibility to build high level units (instead of waiting for being autoproduced by a proper building in a town). Some other good changes are: if you want to build a higher level Mage guild (+Bakers) you need to go ahead in tech, the same with the availability of Castles and Water Reservoirs.
There are at least two things I have not figured out yet:
[- which tech unlocks Cobblestone Roads (COMM version of railroads)] Edit: Grail
- are there any buildings which increase production in towns (previously this was done by Citadels and Castles).

S.

Right now, there are several +Production buildings (they will have a ^ next to their names). Each town's Castle and Grail building. Level 6 and 7 creature dwellings, the Taverns of Might and Magic, and the Statue of Legion improvement. Most of these are later game structures. The reason is that because the land can be fully developed from the beginning, you can still reach a pretty high amount of shields per city by mid game. And there is not a lot of corruption. All cities will be able to do pretty well. Once late game hits, the extra production allows you to build the end game units more easily.
I can try to add this information to each town civilopedia page, I agree it would be helpful to have easy access to see it.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get this mod... Does it work with CIV3 complete Edition via steam? Or does it have to be conquests?

I'm trying to get this mod... Does it work with CIV3 complete Edition via steam? Or does it have to be conquests?

Any copy of civ3 conquests or complete edition. Just the usual difference in the labels.txt if you choose to use the default steam exe, unless you use a hacked exe.

I have used the mod in my steam civ3 root too as that is recommended.

Any copy of civ3 conquests or complete edition. Just the usual difference in the labels.txt if you choose to use the default steam exe, unless you use a hacked exe.

I have used the mod in my steam civ3 root too as that is recommended.
Apologies... first time trying to mod CIV3. What parts in labels.txt need to be changed? Is there a link in the forums to a general civ3 guide?
First two attempts to install have failed, probably my fault

Top Bottom