Consider adding Fusilier unit between Musketeer and Rifleman

IndisPC

Chieftain
I thought Vanilla civ really missed the mark by not having a Bombard unit. Adding the bombard greatly improved the balance and historical feel of the game.

RFC DoC fixed this. I still feel, however, that there's a gap between Rifleman and Infantry. The game seems to jump from 18th Century Riflemen to late 19th/early 20th century Infantry. Of course, RFC DoC tries to address this by giving later civ's Riflemen a more modern appearance, like Russia and Italy, for example. However, there's still a big gap for England, Germany, and the US.

Historically, Riflemen would be more associated with 19th Century technologies such as the Minie ball, used extensively in the American Civil War.

My proposal: Replace existing Riflemen to represent 19th Century, American Civil War/Napoleonic War technology. Crank up their strength to 15 or 16, and give them a bonus vs Cavalry and a 25% bonus against gun powder units to negate 18th Century Grenadiers. Also, make Rifling much more difficult to research, and require Chemistry to build Riflemen.

Make old Riflemen into Fusiliers, strength 14, 50% strength vs cavalry, and have them unlocked simultaneously with Grenadiers upon the discovery of Chemistry. That would better compliment Grenadiers and 17th Century warfare. Make Chemistry slightly easier to research.

I realize the big barrier here is creating the sprites. Especially for many non-European civs who don't have a clear historical representation of what a Fusilier would be. The Riflemen, however, could be fairly generic, mostly plain grey or blue Civil War uniforms with some shiny buttons perhaps. I think most civs who fought wars in the late 19th Century, take Japan for example, would have something like that, early modern infantry.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0091.JPG

Current unit roster for the new tech tree that I am working on for DoC 1.15. The previous Musketman has been renamed to Arquebusier.

Cool. What tech will enable the upgrade from Arquebusiers?

IMO, Grenadiers should upgrade to Riflemen. Based on my Hollywood concept of history, it's more of an 18th Century unit.

It's going to be difficult to balance this just right, but I think adding the additional 18th Century gunpowder step is necessary.

Not sure about the cavalry concepts you've got on that tree.

Well like I said, there's a whole new tech tree. Arquebusiers come with Firearms, Musketman with Replaceable Parts, and Rifleman with Ballistics.

I think we need a Zündnadel unit between Riflemen and Infantry. And then a 08/15 between Zündnadel and Infantry.

Edit for ze Germans: just kidding.

I think we need a Zündnadel unit between Riflemen and Infantry. And then a 08/15 between Zündnadel and Infantry.

Edit for ze Germans: just kidding.
Isn't MG-08/15 a kind of Machine Gun? So it should be a German replace of Machine Gun.

Top Bottom