Constitution Poll - Naming Convention

Constitution Poll - Naming Convention

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Also consider that many of those same threads had no posts in them for days. If people wanted to discuss, then they would have posted. Some options just had too little discussions or too many options. Atleast this way, people get to pick what they want, and not have a constitution to the liking of just one person.

Well, if we really wanted to do it the CORRECT way, we would have posted Constitutional Polls in their discussion threads and ironed them out to be inclusive, concise, and easily understandable, and then let them sit for 24 hours to be inspected by all. Of course I realize that we strive to go in the opposite direction of that.

Kind of hard to get a concise layout when no one posts for a few days...

Which is why you post a mock poll for people to critic. If you would have posted these polls in the discussion threads, I'm sure there would have been some response. Unfortunately, I was gone for a week.

Chieftess said:
Kind of hard to get a concise layout when no one posts for a few days...
I visit here everydays as do many other people... there just wasnt anything for me to respond to

City names are determined by rank, then citizens (by registry date)

This is another one where we need to specify how this will be decided. Once again this looks like a spectrum vote. I think the ends of the spectrum are strict Citizen Registry (Lottery) on one end and the office holder based (Elitism) on the other. You could easily say that the spectrum is based on how voting plays in as well.

My shot at the spectrum using the voting aspect in the middle (with current votes) is as follows:

Citizen Registry - 5
Moth's method - 3
Ravensfire's method - 5
Provolution's method - 3
Rank based - 6

A spectrum based on how much people want to vote would have:
CR - Moth - Rank - Provolution - Ravensfire

[shameless plug]MOTH's method is best. This uses the CR for basic order with the requirement that someone post whenits there turn. This may help to bring casual people back into the game as they are notified as they will now get their chancce to place a name on something. Everyone should change their vote to moth's method now.[/shameless plug]

You do have an excellent system, MOTH. I still prefer Provolution's as his would make the naming totally random. All these expert players who want random options in a DG (like building a democracy on a rocky island would be fun....) think it would give them a change and a challenge. But they're afraid to take that chance when allowing anyone to name a city.

With your method MOTH, people would still be able to ***** about who was online when the CR went up. Hell, I was off-line for a week. If the CR went up during that time, I wouldn't be crying in my beer. I would just sign up. And with Provo's system, I would still have a good chance at naming a city. Plain and simple. Although I get the feeling DZ doesn't want to go through all the work of running polls and making lists.

YNCS said:
I'm abstaining. I know that city names are important to a lot of people, but it's not a major issue with me. Or as Rhett Butler said to Scarlet O'Hara: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Ditto. I'd just become mayor of a city and change the name anyways :mischief:

Cyc said:
With your method MOTH, people would still be able to ***** about who was online when the CR went up. Hell, I was off-line for a week. If the CR went up during that time, I wouldn't be crying in my beer. I would just sign up. And with Provo's system, I would still have a good chance at naming a city. Plain and simple. Although I get the feeling DZ doesn't want to go through all the work of running polls and making lists.

People will gripe no matter how this shakes out, Cyc. ;) And for the record, I have made it clear that I would only run the City Naming Office if the rank-based system was used. And I only offered that because it seemed like no-one else had the wherewithall to implement any sort of plan.

So you are correct. I have absolutely no desire to run some sort of bracket system that bogs down our forum with countless unnecessary polls. I have no problem with making lists. If I had to, I could make Ravensfire's plan work because that would at least be a better representation of WOTP. But I still feel that the rank-based system is the way to go --- everything can be laid out nicely for the DP without too much pomp and circumstance, and based on structure.

My "Other" vote:

Basically pre-list an acceptable list of syllables from which to randomally make a name (e.g. by icosahedron (1D20 for RPG'ers) rolls vs. numbered chart of syllables). Number of possible syllables will be 2 to 8 (2d4 for RPG'ers). No more than two identical syllables per name.

Pre-list of syllables will come from citizens submissions, and polled. Best 20 will be used for making names (20*factorial to an average of 4 to 5 places will generate 10^5 + names---more than enough for randomness).

Why? Words evolve from syllables, as syllables evolve from glyphs, and its basically a process that no aesthetician (populist or dictatorial) was ever in charge of. And by picking the syllable, we still define our collective language in an aesthetic way,
anyway.

Opinons? Onions?

To clarify---each name or word will be 2 to 8 syllables long, with the examine number per word instance being decided randomally (two independent random (1 to 4)'s added together).

While that's an interesting proposal, Goodgame, it does sort of take the fun out of city names. Being able to name cities allows citizens to put their mark on the game, regardless of whatever else they do during the course of the DG. I'm not sure removing this aspect of the game would really improve the DG.

GoodGame said:
Words evolve from syllables, as syllables evolve from glyphs, and its basically a process that no aesthetician (populist or dictatorial) was ever in charge of. And by picking the syllable, we still define our collective language in an aesthetic way, anyway.
And if we are really lucky, we'll get a city name that means "up your nose with a rubber hose" in Swedish.

I know I said that names weren't an important issue with me, and they're not. I don't care if I name a city. However, for many people, this is an important issue. I don't think too many people would be in favor of randomizing syllables for city names.

Also, having random noises as our city names would not be aestheticly beautiful. We'd be more likely to have city named Zanosboh than a city named Perdondaris (one of Lord Dunsany's city names).

This is another close one. I think City naming must remain vague in the constitution and should be addressed via the Code of Laws instead. This will allow us to more easily change this if its too much work. And anyway, people will get to at least have a Unit named after them...

Less than 11 hours to go. As a spectrum as above I current have this as:

Citizen Registry - 6
Moth's method - 3
Ravensfire's method - 5
Provolution's method - 4
Rank based - 9
Other - 1

I really think that the voting on names is a bit overkill. My alternate spectrum with voting at the end would be:
Citizen Registry - 6
Moth's method - 3
Rank based - 9
Provolution's method - 4
Ravensfire's method - 5
Other - 1

This one sits Rank clearly in the middle and is an option I could live with.

i have to agree with names by order of registration. because this is my first demogame and probaqbly will get my city named that way. not trying to be greedy

Top Bottom