Crashes, Crashes and More Crashes

You can uninstall an update by going to Settings>Update & security>Windows Update>Advanced option>View your update history>Uninstall update The update you wish to remove may not appear at first.
OK, I got there, I see the short list of about 8 updates and, as you mentioned KB5001330 is not there. But...

Continue to remove updates, top of list down, until you can uninstall the desired update..
...SERIOUSLY? Just start removing random updates in order to "unlock" the problem update to be removed? What if some of those updates are beneficial? Why is the list not comprehensive from the start and you just scroll down to the desired update? Why can't I just search my C: drive for "KB5001330" to isolate and remove the problem without tampering with several to dozens of other updates that may be addressing other issues with my machine? And most importantly, why would you need to remove several potentially beneficial updates in order to access the problematic one?

So I started following your instructions and selected to uninstall the top update on the list, not knowing what that potentially might be fixing. It was taking over 5 minutes to uninstall, and I chickened out and cancelled it - many times my computer has encountered issues leading me to follow instructions that don't make any sense which ultimately ends in me needing to run a system restore overnight and lose all the data since the last time I created a safe load date, which I haven't done in quite some time. I checked the list of updates and there it was - KB5001330 right at the top of the list, but it had today's date and not 4/13/21. So I don't know what that file is but it isn't the problem I'm trying to fix but also clearly isn't anything beneficial so I tried uninstalling it and it failed to do so.

Apologies if you are taking your time to try to help, But this seems incredibly fishy...

I've had this issue in the recent past going from 7 Home to Win 10 Professional as an update. Your files are literally corrupted in related to KB5001330 update, and after much trial and error figuring out Win Update, RegEdit and some other horsehocky, you literally just need to clean install your OS. You'll save yourself the headache.

OK, I got there, I see the short list of about 8 updates and, as you mentioned KB5001330 is not there. But...

...SERIOUSLY? Just start removing random updates in order to "unlock" the problem update to be removed? What if some of those updates are beneficial? Why is the list not comprehensive from the start and you just scroll down to the desired update? Why can't I just search my C: drive for "KB5001330" to isolate and remove the problem without tampering with several to dozens of other updates that may be addressing other issues with my machine? And most importantly, why would you need to remove several potentially beneficial updates in order to access the problematic one?

So I started following your instructions and selected to uninstall the top update on the list, not knowing what that potentially might be fixing. It was taking over 5 minutes to uninstall, and I chickened out and cancelled it - many times my computer has encountered issues leading me to follow instructions that don't make any sense which ultimately ends in me needing to run a system restore overnight and lose all the data since the last time I created a safe load date, which I haven't done in quite some time. I checked the list of updates and there it was - KB5001330 right at the top of the list, but it had today's date and not 4/13/21. So I don't know what that file is but it isn't the problem I'm trying to fix but also clearly isn't anything beneficial so I tried uninstalling it and it failed to do so.

Apologies if you are taking your time to try to help, But this seems incredibly fishy...

I understand why you would be concerned. I can only tell you that another user in this thread suggested the process I described and it worked for me. Being comfortable with PCs and my experience with Windows, I have no concern removing Windows updates in order to uninstall a specific update. It's really not that different from rolling back to a restore point, which is common troubleshooting. Remember, to me it is not removing random updates, and it isn't something we should have to do, but Micorsoft and Windows 10 has their issues.

I've had this issue in the recent past going from 7 Home to Win 10 Professional as an update. Your files are literally corrupted in related to KB5001330 update, and after much trial and error figuring out Win Update, RegEdit and some other ****, you literally just need to clean install your OS. You'll save yourself the headache.

This is a great suggestion if your unistall of KB5001330 failed. I understand why it sounds suspect to you, especially with the way you portrayed your knowledge and comfort with computers. I can tell you the issue with Civ VI, for me, resolved after uninstalling KB5001330. I am sorry you're having this trouble. If you have followed previous instructions for other workarounds and you've had issues, a clean install of Windows 10 is your best course of action.

Last edited:
Not specific to any Windows update, etc. but I've found something that I believe is helping with the frequency of crashes lately. I have been mostly playing the TSL Huge Earth map btw; no mods or other modifications; all CIV6 DLC and updates installed.

For me, I started doing a "quick save game" at the end of each turn and before clicking to continue. Obviously I was doing it to be sure I had the up-to-the-second save in the event it crashed and I had to restart and then all the long minutes to re-run the program, re-load the save. But I believe that the act of doing a 'quick save' (and I pause for about 2 seconds to be sure the save is done) has prevented as many crashes as before. In fact, I can't recall a single crash when I am 100% sure I did the quick save first.

I have not tried to play in a while. But I am confused. I thought there was a fix in place for the Windows update (KB5001330) that broke things.

I have not tried to play in a while. But I am confused. I thought there was a fix in place for the Windows update (KB5001330) that broke things.

I thought so too, but after I verified that I had the fix installed, I had two crashes, each around 10 turns. I then uninstalled KB5001330 and have not crashed or froze since.

Crazy to think that a fix is to uninstall a windows update...

I thought so too, but after I verified that I had the fix installed, I had two crashes, each around 10 turns. I then uninstalled KB5001330 and have not crashed or froze since.

And then find out it doesn't even work.

For me, I started doing a "quick save game" at the end of each turn and before clicking to continue.
Confirming this. I don't think it matters if it's a quick save or regular save, but as long as I save every turn, it doesn't crash. I'm out of the game now, but I imagine if there is an option to set autosaves to every turn, this would fix the problem without you having to remember to save every turn.

Reactions: uhu
Confirming this. I don't think it matters if it's a quick save or regular save, but as long as I save every turn, it doesn't crash. I'm out of the game now, but I imagine if there is an option to set autosaves to every turn, this would fix the problem without you having to remember to save every turn.

Doesn't work here, I have autosaves configured and it still randomly crashes now and then (graphics lockup, or more rarely infinite turn)

I have autosaves configured and it still randomly crashes now and then
Question of Gretchen would be: what happens, if you turn off autosaves and try to save every turn manually (quick or regular) as ShakaKhan suggests.
If that would consistently avoid the 'now and then' crashes on your machine, this could be a precious hint, because autosaves and manual saves are done at different points in the sequence of events.

(Likewise ShakaKhan could turn on autosaves and try to provoke crashes on his machine :shifty:)
Can you see the sometimes delayed UI-updating being improved by doing the manual saves?

Question of Gretchen would be: what happens, if you turn off autosaves and try to save every turn manually (quick or regular) as ShakaKhan suggests.
If that would consistently avoid the 'now and then' crashes on your machine, this could be a precious hint, because autosaves and manual saves are done at different points in the sequence of events.

(Likewise ShakaKhan could turn on autosaves and try to provoke crashes on his machine :shifty:)
Can you see the sometimes delayed UI-updating being improved by doing the manual saves?

I'll definitely try when I start my next game. The thing is, my crashes do not appear to be consistent:
  • Sometimes they will appear after ten to twenty minutes, sometimes I can play four hours in a row without a single crash,
  • Most of them seem to be graphics-related: they will appear during the AI turn (explosion,...) or when I mouse around and a tooltip appears - and then, they will cause a fatal graphics-card lockup (computer hard reboot required) or might crash to desktop,
  • Much less frequent and unheard-of before the April patch, the infinite-turn has recently appeared, when the globe will rotate and never end the turn (although I can still mouse around and click / tooltip),
  • I often blame this on using the graphics ultra-settings (I like eye-candy) on a 3440x1440 100 Hz monitor - but alas, I am not the only one... all I can say is the crashes do not seem more frequent than before.

try when I start my next game
If it works like I think it can ("implicit data cleanup"), manual saving should influence Any mildly advanced game, ie. is immediately applicable. (Just to avoid you set up next accidentally a game, which does not want to crash. :D)
they will appear during the AI turn [...] or when I mouse around and a tooltip appears
The former requests manual save at the end, the latter at the beginning of the human player turn.

I'd be interested whether you really get significantly less crashes, eventually differentiated after crash types.

imo, needs to be the manual 'quick save' and not the auto-save every turn option. Because the auto-saves happen at the beginning of every turn. Crashes are happening at the end of the turn. Do the manual quick save at the end of the turn right before 'ending the turn'.

You may not have to uninstall KB5001330. Microsoft issued a subsequent fix (note it works for some people but not all). You can check if the fix has been installed on your PC:

1. Open Windows Powershell
2. Type: Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\4\1837593227

If it returns with "Path not found" then the fix is NOT installed on your system;
If it returns with several lines of info, the fix IS installed.

Good luck!

Same problem here. What do everyone's messages look like? Mine are always "unhandled exception", then a bunch of nonesense code.

Same problem here. What do everyone's messages look like? Mine are always "unhandled exception", then a bunch of nonesense code.

Yes that and others. What a mess and still not fixed.

You may not have to uninstall KB5001330. Microsoft issued a subsequent fix (note it works for some people but not all). You can check if the fix has been installed on your PC:

1. Open Windows Powershell
2. Type: Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\4\1837593227

If it returns with "Path not found" then the fix is NOT installed on your system;
If it returns with several lines of info, the fix IS installed.

Good luck!

I'm not modding my OS to run a computer game. The devs job is to make sure it works on supported platforms or fix it.

All this for a drop of blood

I mean all a launcher is is a way to shove adds in your face

I guess it making the game unplayable is a kind kf advertising

Based on what I've been reading lately, I think the community seems to have collectively narrowed the issue down to two main possibilities. The first widely-accepted one is that the culprit is the new 2K launcher, which some allege causes a memory leak by constantly running in the background, even causing crashing. The second is the "asset limit" the developers introduced as part of the update, which seems to be some kind of attempt to optimize performance that backfired, instead causing crashes because of the game having to process too much content at once. I've heard that disbbling and uninstalling all mods can fix it if the second case is true, so I'm going to try that and see.

Top Bottom