[GS] [Critical BUG] An unfixed bug that will probably affect Mali

Quno

Chieftain
This BUG has been there for a year already. Now because it may vastly affect new civ Mali (making it almost unplayable), hope Firaxis can take care of it. This BUG was first discovered by someone else shortly after the release of R&F, yet probably a lot of people are not aware of it, I may just restate what it is here.

1. City Patron Goddess:
Spoiler City Patron Goddess :
图片2.png

图片3.png

As you can see, on city production panel the production yield increased 25%, being 7*1.25=8.75, yet the actual production to constructing the Holy Site isn't either 8 or 9, but 8.8(*1.25)=11. Thus we can deduct there's another production increase multiplied on the production panel yield increase.
*the multiplying factor in () is the factor in question. Same in the following formulas.*
Spoiler City Patron Goddess(2) :
图片4.png

图片5.png

Also because of the 25% production increase, chopping forest yields 23(*1.25)=28.75 prod. Adding this 29 to previously 21 gets 50 in progress.
As many Moder already read through the xmls and understood City Patron Goddess and Kilwa Kisiwani share the same Effect Type(EFFECT_ADJUST_ALL_DISTRICT_PRODUCTION_MODIFIER) for district production bonus, we suspect this bug extends to unit and building production bonus as well.→

Last edited:
2. Kilwa Kisiwani:
Spoiler Kilwa Kisiwani :
图片6.png

图片7.png

图片8.png

图片9.png

The prod yield from city is 3*1.3=3.9, which is already after Kilwa Kisiwani's bonus from the wonder's description. Without any other policies providing prod bonus, chopping forest yields 83(*1.3)=107.9, adding up to 147 prod in progress.
Spoiler Kilwa Kisiwani(2) :
图片10.png

图片11.png

图片12.png

图片13.png

So the prod yield from city here is 1*1.15=1.15, which is after Kilwa Kisiwani. With +50% Unit production bonus policy, the actual prod progressed from chopping forest is 151-8=143≈83*1.5(*1.15).

From above, we can deduct that using this ModifierType will make the city has bonus to production yield which can be seen from city panel, and to production progress. This reminds us of the trait of new civ Mali, but the other way around. So we paid extra attention to the production and progress in the let's play video, and found that it still had this BUG. Meaning -30% to city prod yield, and -30% to production progress→

Spoiler Mali :
图片14.png

图片15.png

When start training Builder unit, Mali's city prod yield dropped (as we expected), because of the city's +1 amenity, 10% prod bonus, then the calc will be 24.2=22*1.1, 19.2=24*(1.1-0.3), in which the delta 2 prod might be from adjusting working citizen. Then watching the game progress from T98 to T100, even taking the overflow from last production, the production progress to Builder is only 31 prod, smaller than 19.2*2 but larger than 19.2*0.7*2. We assume the extra 5 prod could be from the overflow.
Spoiler Mali(2) :
图片16.png

图片17.png

图片18.png

While constructing Shrine, the city prod yield changed from 15 to 15*0.7=10.5, which is already the trait penalty. Compare fig. 17 and fig. 18, one turn passed and the production progressed almost 1/4, for quick speed game, shrine costs 70*0.67=46.9 prod, means there should be about 35 prod to go. Yet it still needs 5 more turns to finish. Possibility here is Mali receives penalty to production progress of units and buildings as well, a double 70% penalty makes the actual prod to progress per turn 7.35, 5 more turns to 35! It's observed that there's no citizen adjustment in the city from the video. You guys can verify if it's true by watching the video again.
Although we have no access to the xml files yet, as programmers and Moders, we highly suspect it is the same source of bug as City Patron Goddess and Kilwa Kisiwani. Since the actual reason may be deep in the dll files somewhere that we can't figure out which part of the code went wrong, we hope Firaxis can take this issue serious, fix it, (make Mali great again), and produce a better version of our beloved Civilization game.

[Post edited to avoid confusion]

I confirm, the bug exists. Effect in question is applied twice, giving not 25% but 57% more production (1,25*1,25=~1,56).
My game has no bug. Running version 1.0.0.262, R&F.
test prod bug fixed.jpg

As you can see above:
- left side - production without the pantheon - every turn adds exactly the city prod (14); first turns adds +6 most likely due to the overflow from previous prod (it adds that to anything produced next),
- right side - production with the pantheon - adds exactly +25%+57% more than previously
In both cases all displays on city info and productino info were correct - especially Turns Remaining. It took 6 turns without the pantheon and 5 with the pantheon.

Last edited:
Obviously, your sheet does prove the BUG is existed. The production of your city was 14 before you chose the pantheon, and it became 14*1.25=17.5 after your chose it. However, the he actual production to constructing is 17.5*1.25=21.8=87-65=65-43=43-21. That means your city production was buffed twice by the pantheon.

View attachment 514769

As you can see above:
- left side - production without the pantheon - every turn adds exactly the city prod (14); first turns adds +6 most likely due to the overflow from previous prod (it adds that to anything produced next),
- right side - production with the pantheon - adds exactly +25% more than previously
In both cases all displays on city info and productino info were correct - especially Turns Remaining. It took 6 turns without the pantheon and 5 with the pantheon.
left diff: 14
right diff: 21~22
14 * 1.25 = 17.5
17.5 * 1.25 = 21.9

21.9/14 = 1.56 = 1.25 * 1.25, twice

Also, for the record, City Patron Goddess uses EFFECT_ADJUST_ALL_DISTRICT_PRODUCTION_MODIFIER, not Buildings nor Units are affected. There are separate effets for them.
You are right, but this BUG involved three effects: EFFECT_ADJUST_ALL_DISTRICT_PRODUCTION_MODIFIER, EFFECT_ADJUST_ALL_BUILDING_PRODUCTION_MODIFIER and EFFECT_ADJUST_ALL_UNIT_PRODUCTION_MODIFIER. All of them are used by Kilwa Kisiwani, and City Patron Goddess uses one of them for the reason that it has the same BUG as Kilwa Kisiwani. So I still think these are the same BUGs, and I guess the same reason of them is these three effect use a same function in the core code.
Though it doesn't influence the conclusion, I'll still tell him to correct it, thanks.

Obviously, your sheet does prove the BUG is existed. The production of your city was 14 before you chose the pantheon, and it became 14*1.25=17.5 after your chose it. However, the he actual production to constructing is 17.5*1.25=21.8=87-65=65-43=43-21. That means your city production was buffed twice by the pantheon.
Read carefully my explanation for that. Each turn the production added is either 14 or 17,5. The only difference is the first turn because there is an overflow effect. In my case, it added 6 prod. And it adds 6 production to anything I am trying to produce.

So, maybe I don't understand what you consider a bug here, but you clearly stated in your post: "there's another production increase multiplied on the production panel yield increase." I don't have any other "production increase multiplier" which is clearly seen when going through all turns, not the first only. And the first one is a standard game situation - this is how overflow mechanism works (yeah, and source of the (in)famous exploit).

Read carefully my explanation for that. Each turn the production added is either 14 or 17,5. The only difference is the first turn because there is an overflow effect. In my case, it added 6 prod. And it adds 6 production to anything I am trying to produce.

So, maybe I don't understand what you consider a bug here, but you clearly stated in your post: "there's another production increase multiplied on the production panel yield increase." I don't have any other "production increase multiplier" which is clearly seen when going through all turns, not the first only. And the first one is a standard game situation - this is how overflow mechanism works (yeah, and source of the (in)famous exploit).
Compare the production on your city panel before and after you choose the pantheon, please. Put your mouse on the production and look at the tooltips like me. You will see there is "+25% towards districts" and you can't see it before you choose your pantheon. That is a part of the ability of this pantheon and that means you have already got the buff of the pantheon. If you don't choose this pantheon, you city production will be 14 instead of 17.5. However, your actual production is still multiply by 1.25. That means the pantheon buff twice to your production.
If you still don't understand, you can count how much production is produced by your city on the map, and see if the actually production equal to it multiply 1.25 or 1.25*1.25.
If you still don't understand, I advice you to ask Victoria.

Last edited:
My pleasure to help you. Hope it can be fixed before Feb 14th, or Mali will be the biggest loser :-(
Assuming that the only problem is getting 57% instead of 25% - there is at least an easy workaround. Just make the modifiers at 12%. You would get 25% as a result. Probably the same can be done with all the others that use bugged effects.
My priority for Firaxis would be to fix errors that we cannot do anything about, like problems with scoring routines or behavior trees.

I have submitted a 2K support ticket with a link to this thread and a brief description of the issue. Hopefully it doesn't get buried in hundreds of feedback messages and get neglected. If someone knows twitter of one of the QA people it will be great to DM them I think.

I hope the OP or someone has submitted a ticket to 2K support and not just posted this here.
I don't know where I can report bugs. Beside this bug, I still have lots of bugs waiting for report...

I have submitted a 2K support ticket with a link to this thread and a brief description of the issue. Hopefully it doesn't get buried in hundreds of feedback messages and get neglected. If someone knows twitter of one of the QA people it will be great to DM them I think.
Thanks a lot. Hope they can see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard back from 2K support. They said:

"We appreciate you reaching out and informing us of the issue you've encountered in Civilization VI. I can certainly understand how experiencing this bug will greatly affect Mali and I will do my utmost to assist and ensure that this is properly reported on!"

Let's hope this will be fixed!

@Wandering_Dandelion, you can use the above link to report bugs you encountered/found. Thanks for what you did for the community!

Thanks a lot. For not good at English, I used to be upset about where I can report bugs.

I heard back from 2K support. They said:

"We appreciate you reaching out and informing us of the issue you've encountered in Civilization VI. I can certainly understand how experiencing this bug will greatly affect Mali and I will do my utmost to assist and ensure that this is properly reported on!"

Let's hope this will be fixed!

@Wandering_Dandelion, you can use the above link to report bugs you encountered/found. Thanks for what you did for the community!
Thanks a lot! I'll report all bugs we knew as soon as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom