CTD Thread

inuyashasama

Warlord
I figured it would be better to keep repeatable CTDs and their save files in their own thread rather than the bug thread. Please list modules used.

Common Causes of CTDs:
  • Certain modules (Less Dangerous Animals [fixed latest version])
  • Treasure chests
  • AI mounting Pegasus on each other
  • Capturing an animal, creating a werewolf, etc. on a square already occupied by an enemy.

Some tips for fixing a CTD on your own if you can't live without that save (thanks to everyone who posted these tips, I've never tried them myself):
  • Enter the World Builder and delete animals and recon units near each other.
  • Always play with the "New Random Seed" option enabled.
  • Turn on "see enemy moves" and build units until you have vision of all civilizations. This will allow you to identify which civilization is causing the CTD.
  • Then simply delete their stuff until it stops.

Here's my first repeatable CTD of 1.3 :(

Turn 383 (or so) Mechanos, no modules

Attachments

• Mechanos.CivBeyondSwordSave
    499.6 KB · Views: 79
I have had a CTD but when I reload it doesn't happen again. But I'm pretty sure what's causing it. So one both times this has happened I've popped a dungeon and got the message a powerful enemy has risen to defend the lair. But I couldn't see an enemy next turn CTD. When I reload pop the dungeon again same message only this time an Axeman and Goblin spawn no crash at end of turn. Sorry I couldn't get a save with this.

you can add one repeatable CTD to your collection right here!

meanwhile, trying to catch this issue via WB...

30 minutes later...

oh I caught my issue: there was one badly wounded minotaur near malchavik's capital, next to pyre of seraphic and and deleting this poor minny solved the issue:)

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0261.CivBeyondSwordSave
    489.3 KB · Views: 95
I mentioned in the bugs thread my early game CTD's that happen on the early turns of every game I start. Until now merely restarting the game would let me continue without CTD, but on this latest start I get CTD every time, so I don't know if its something you might want to take a look at. Anyway if I'm doing this right the save should be attached.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0037.CivBeyondSwordSave
    154.8 KB · Views: 60
Heh, if you want the CTD fixed, your best chance is to fix it yourself. I don't think I've ever seen somebody fix someone else's CTD for them. It does seem that fixing it yourself has a decent success rate.

This thread is more so that the Rife team can track down the cause of the CTDs so they won't occur in future games.

I've had lots of CTD's, some repeatable for 6-8 tries then suddenly worked for unknown reasons. All as the Mechanos. Not a single one in my Cualli game for 600+ turns... Never had a crash playing the other FFH modmods or vanilla.(Besides memory allocation but I've increased the cache and haven't seen one of those messages since.) Anyhow, the crashes in the Mechanos game were happening every 20 turns or so, always while waiting for it to become my turn again, no message after the crash to desktopts. Purely anecdotal of course.

Heh, if you want the CTD fixed, your best chance is to fix it yourself. I don't think I've ever seen somebody fix someone else's CTD for them. It does seem that fixing it yourself has a decent success rate.

This thread is more so that the Rife team can track down the cause of the CTDs so they won't occur in future games.

In reply to the bolded part, that's exactly why I'm submitting my reports. I'm not posting here to have people fix my saves. Sorry if it came across that way. I assume the brilliant minds working on this modmod are interested in removing these annoying crashes if they can.

Interesting, repeatable CTD. Was getting the crash on the same turn Archeron was built so i went ahead and deleted the city that was building him. The only thing worth noting was that there was an insane number of barbs on the plot. Other than that, nothing special.

Deleting him fixed the crash.

I have a save if you want it.

Edit: Just got another CTD the turn after. Fine, I surrender, you win CTD!

Edit: Just got another CTD the turn after. Fine, I surrender, you win CTD!

Hey, I can top this: Reproducible CTD, worldbuildering out some roaming Minotaurs gets me to the next turn, the turn after that again CTDed. Rinse and repeat, I gave up after 5 iterations :lol:

Edit: Might be the due to the less dangerous animal module. Without LDA, CTDs were usually not so persistant.

im also getting ctd after ctd after adding the less dangerous animal module. its always around turn 100. (mby when the leashes are cut off? )

I'm also suspect the module has something to do with the sudden influx of CTDs, no proof though.

now im in turn 180 and got no ctd in my new game after deactivating the module

I'll turn it off right away then and see how it goes.

I'm getting mighty tired of CTD, had high hopes it would be dealt with for 1.3.

Maybe some of you could share what game settings and modules loaded/not loaded you find the least prone to crashes?

To start off, I've found turning off all barb factions including demons and orcs in addition to animals help. I've still got stumped on a few games this way, and while I appreciate the AI handling the game better its a little dull having almost zero risk exploring, plus, its not guaranteed crashproof either. I'll try playing a bit without LessDangerousAnimals and see how that pans out :)

Edit:
Take #1
Repeated CTD's turns 50-55, fairly standard game settings, normal RIFE 1.3 without LessDangerousAnimals loaded. All barb and animal factions turned on. Had to abandon the game after trying 5 times to get past turn 55.

Take#2
RIFE 1.3 + Starting worker module. Barbs, demons, animals turned off on large map with wild mana, 300 turns so far not a single CTD

Another Mechanos repeatable CTD. Almost 800 turns into a Marathon game, which has got to be a record for RiFE, at least for me -- so take that as further proof that the stability fixes over 1.2 were an improvement.

I have Re-seed checked, so this is the genuine deal. Hope you guys can find the culprit.

Attachments

• verocchio_mechanos.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
Not a good day for Mechanos. I also come bearing a save file with a CTD as soon as the turn ends. Turn 450 or so playing as the mechanos on a huge map with 16 civs.

I've done everything I know to diagnose it. Deleted civs, deleted all savages/animals/demons, placed caravels around the map and watched enemy movements. I've got nothing.

Attachments

• KrugSmash_Mechanos_CTD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    823.9 KB · Views: 69
Came across this CTD playing as the Calabim on a Huge map, marathon speed, at turn 553.

After a lot of testing with the WB, found out the problem was the city of Myrean, where Acheron is. If you end the turn, it crashes to desktop, however if I remove the city, the game goes on. You have to remove the actual city, just removing units on it (including Acheron) wont work, it'll still crash, which makes me think it's not Acheron itself.

Dug a little deeper, if I remove the Dragon's Horde building from the city, it'll no longer crash, but lowering the city's culture won't work, so it seems like a problem with the building itself, not a culture problem. Don't think it's a unit trying to pick it up, since if I remove all the units in the city, it'll still crash. I couldnt find anything similar in the forums, so I thought I'd share.

Attached is a save file, just end the turn for the crash.

Oh and only BannerChainofCommand and Mekara modules enabled, it's a default straight-out-of-the-box RifE installation.

Attachments

• CTD_Dragons_Horde.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Quicksaver and CuteKills thank you for posting a save without any extra modules and thank you even more for telling us what modules are used. Both your games are crashing due to the same bug. It will be fixed in the next patch.

CuteKills: sorry for late reply, had mostly given up on CtD saves. People keep posting them without mentioning what modules are used, making it near impossible to debug. If you still want to continue that game you can do so by deleting the treasure chest at 43:25.

Quicksaver: If you want to continue the game you can do so by deleting the treasure chest at 67:28.

Top Bottom