1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CTD Thread

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by inuyashasama, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Hmmm, sounds like we should avoid paying for the treasure chest you can get in the event until the next patch comes out. I pretty much gave up on them in 1.30 as about half turn up empty anyway.:(

I think you can get a 'free' one from lairs, though.

2. Quicksaver

Quicksaver Chieftain

First off, you're welcome, just glad I can help :)

Now, about the bug, to continue the game I did nothing like you said about deleting the treasure chest, I just what I said, removed the Dragon's Horde building from the city and then re-added it the turn after, it worked like a charm. Also, the coordinates you gave me were either off or I am not counting the tiles right as there was no chest where you said. I saved a WB file and then opened the file with notepad and searched for the x=67,y=28 entry, tell me if I'm doing it wrong because I really don't know.

Also about 200 turns later I got another CTD (save attached). This time I had to remove every unit in the Elohim capital to get the game to proceed. First I thought it was Alcinus (I had just killed him that turn, and it showed up in that city) but it wasn't, and I did not trial and error to see which unit it was (there were about 15 Vicars or more in there, I just wanted to play :crazyeye:). Re-adding the units (or most of them. I wasn't too accurate) back in the next turn did not affect gameplay like before.

I did notice there was a Treasure Chest in the same tile and it was only a few tiles off the coordinates you gave me, I couldnt tell if it was a simple potion or was one of the treasure quests-treasure chests... Could that have been the chest you mentioned? It was right in the city's tile.

Also on a side note (not CTD), I don't know if this has been reported, but I did try removing every chest I could find (while trying to fix the CTD), and to my amasement, some of the civs that I had already killed but remained in the score list were now killed for good, suggesting perhaps they were still linked to those chests and wouldn't be "killed" untill those chests were finally removed/found/taken/whatever?

Edit: Oh and, like I said, it's the same game only a few turns later, so same conditions as before, no extra modules but the ones already in the default RifE install.

Edit 2: Uploaded wrong save, sorry, this is the right one

Attached Files:

3. snarko

snarko DLLer

Those are safe. There's two kinds of chests, treasure and equipment. Only equipment are causing problems. They are supposed to die when they run out of promotions but somehow end up with non-equipment promotions. Then usually the AI cast dispel magic on them, removing the promotion they're not supposed to have. When the game tries to remove the next promotion dispel magic removes the unit is already dead: CtD.

67:28 was what the logs told me. Your adding and removing of the dragons horde obviously caused something to go different. Perhaps somehow related to culture.
    Problem occurred when an AI unit casted dispel magic on the chest.

Save did not crash for me. Going to try again with a rebuilt DLL. Accidentally made some changes to my testing DLL, that might be why.

Absolutely. When you removed/readded dragons horde you caused things to go different. But the chest already had a promotion it's not supposed to and that means it's a CtD waiting to happen.

Bug. Maybe someone will fix it. I'm not going to bother to unless someone can give me a good reason to. There's more gamebreaking bugs to fix (like CtDs).

4. Quicksaver

Quicksaver Chieftain

Oops, so sorry, uploaded the wrong save, that was the one I got to work, I uploaded the correct save in my previous post. Sorry again :p

5. snarko

snarko DLLer

Finally got around to trying the save. Didn't quite work out with debug as I had hoped (forgot to copy the DLL over...) but the last line in MPLog.txt says it all:
    Player 50 Unit 11001863 (TXT_KEY_LEADER_ORC's Treasure Chest) moving from 71:21 to -2147483647:-2147483647

Treasure chest dies, game crashes. Don't know what promotion it was this time but doesn't matter.

6. Dekar

Dekar Chieftain

Im getting a crash immediately at the end of my turn, before my Dovellio animals spawn I think.
    I delayed the crash several times before by replaying the whole turn instead of using a end of turn quicksave, works this turn too.

Normal mods active: Bannor Chain of Command and Mekara

Just end the turn and it should crash.

Attached Files:

7. caegic

caegic Chieftain

Khazad game crashes always after turn 256. Seems to CTD during or after barbarians have moved. Might this also be because of treasure chests? I found one and deleted it but at least it didn't help.

Only the normal mods: Bannor Chain of Command and Mekara used.

Attached Files:

8. Morkonan

Morkonan Warlord

CTDs get fixed all the time in the FFH2 Bug thread, usually by Breunor who will sometimes selflessly hound a save in the Worldbuilder until he figures it out. He fixed one of mine for me and has fixed many other saves. Other members do it as well, though I see him doing it more frequently, IIRC. But, as far as RIFE goes, I don't know if many other members try to fix others RIFE CTDs.

If you know how to use the Worldbuilder and if the save will load so working with it is manageable, I'd agree. After all, the player probably has the more immediate incentive and the greater satisfaction reward for success. For me, any save over 900 k is not worth trying to figure out in WB because my machine doesn't like playing with them in there. But, for others, it might be worth it.

9. snarko

snarko DLLer

Dekar: didn't crash for me.

caegic: Problem related to culture and pyrelords. It's a really difficult bug. Valkrionn is set on having pyre lords destroy the improvement when they die. That may seem fine but when you destroy a fort the plot can become owned by someone else. Which will kill the pyre lord. Again.
    Trying to kill a unit twice cause the game to CtD.

10. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

It's the whole point of the unit. :p

11. CuteKills

CuteKills Chieftain

Not a problem - just some feedback. if something's not reported, it can't be fixed.

I cut code for a living... :)

12. Dekar

Dekar Chieftain

Sorry for wasting your time then. Will try to reinstall...

13. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Earliest crash I've seen in 1.30. I went back a few turns and still got the CTD. Looked for rogue Treasure Chests.

Any comments/fixes appreciated, but I'm starting a new game.;)

Attached Files:

14. inuyashasama

inuyashasama Warlord

what modules?

15. Swinkscalibur

Swinkscalibur Prince

for the double kill error, can't the code that kills the pyre lord check the stack to see if a unit of that type even exists. Since two pyre lords should never be on that stack as long as there is still a pyre lord it can be killed if there isn't one don't try to kill the unit. Solved?

16. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I only have the modules that game with the install - Megara, I think it is called and one other. No other ones added.