• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Cumulative Ancient World Quiz

Hadrian?

Constantine III

He personally withdrew the last legion from Britannia. The Romans left lesser leaders in place, but no Emperor would visit again.

constantine 3 led a revolt in 407AD that captured gaul and spain from brition, he not a legitimate emperor as the question ask for. he did not rule from rome ( or ravanna as some did ) or constantople. honorius was western emperor and theodsious 2 eastern emperor. i quess the question is does being made an agustusi-or jr. emperor count as being emperor? with all the augustus's and caesars under various emperors we could come up with 10 correct answers or 10 wrong answers based on the critieria?

Scrub Constantine III then :)

The empire was officially split east/west between two, and I would say that from a political stance they count as legitimate. I presume the western one was responsible for Britannia but I could not find if he ever actually visited the island.

Because Britannia was frequently cut-off from Rome, it was the source of several of it's own emperors not recognised by Rome - making the question very hard to answer.

I like the question! :thumbsup:

If none have yet to give the answer you want, which I presume is for a single undesputed Emperor, I shall keep looking...

actually why i thought about this it made me think my answer was wrong too. after diocletian the empire rarely had 1-2 but 3 or more rulers, so who legitmate and who's not

Magnus Maximus was an un-official Emperor in Britannia. He then conquered Italy but died soon after.

I don't think he was, but could he have been the official Emperor for a short time?

Furius ius correct with Constans, one of the three ruling sons of Constantine the Great (hence legitmate).

He visited in 343 AD. He was murdered the following year after being captured by Magnentius.

Your question Furius.

Furius hasn't replied in a while so I'll continue this with a freh question, and a fairly easy one, to get things rolling again.

Question: What was Justinian's real name (ie. before he changed it)?

Sorry, but that is not the answer. That was the name he adopted to honor his uncle Justin (minus the Anicius). To help you in the right direction I am asking about the name he had at birth (hence 'real name').

I'll post the answer seeing as no one has replied in a while. Justinian's original name was Petrus Sabbatius. he changed it to honour his uncle Justin.

The floor is open for a new question posted by anyone interested.

Yup, Menes was (reputedly) attacked and killed in the Fayum Deppression by crocodiles and wild dogs.

Your turn.

I don't mean to to infringe on Furius' right as a question-asker, but wasn't Menes dragged into the Nile by a Hippopotamus?

I know the story is supposevly a metaphor, but I've never heard the crocodile and wild dog story.

SeleucusNicator, there were three versions (which is why I guessed) , the crocodile, the hippopotamus and a third which I can't remember.

Give us a minute to think up one. ;)

I've got one, although the wording might not be the best.

The national hat of which country was later adopted by freed Roman slaves and thus became a symbol of freedom during the pre-Migration Age era?

Phrygia?

And I'm still curious as to where you dug up the crocodile story. I'm not challenging you, I just sense another source of information to add to my internal database.

Oo oo I think i know what cap your talking about, its that one with the sort of rounded thing on top yes? I forget exactlly where it was for from, but i keep thinging thrace, of coures phygia could be it as well...

BUT, if no one has a new question, i have one :)

What is the single longest lasting contribution of the Hittite empire to the world?

Top Bottom