1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Warlord

Yeah, recycling centers currently represent far more health than any of the other health buildings available in a fully built city. That's probably the building to nerf.

2. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I disagree. Mercantilism is somewhat about discouraging foreign trade, while the custom house is about encouraging. Those 2 contradict with eachother.

From a gameplay perspective, it would be very strange too. If you run mercantilism, you can't use the bonus of the custom house at all, as it forbids foreign trade routes. Kinda strange if it boost the production, but blocks its effect.

3. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

There are other such "wonders" in the game : when you trade the Broadway RnR and Hollywood happiness resources you're not just broadcasting them, you're exporting quality shows/songs/films to another country and they can start producing them too, so trading the hit football events would be more like exporting the sport to the other country so there can be top level football games there too, which in RL would mean Britain is trading them with Argentina Brazil Spain France Germany and Italy.

FYI there is no Premier League game held at Wembley, only cup finals/semi finals and England national team games. But it is one of the coolest stadiums in the world. Football is the number one sport in Europe, Africa, South and Central America and parts of Asia, is the number 2 sport in China and India (behind Badminton and Cricket respectively). If it bothers you I suppose the resource could be changed to "hit sporting event" but why not keep Wembley as the wonder ?

There's a mechanic in the game to get more happiness, it's the culture slider. I suggest a concert hall building giving some culture and a +2 happiness per 10% culture, to make you pay for your happiness.

4. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Warlord

That's a fair point. I guess that's the bias that comes from playing Portugal.

Edit - However, maybe that's part of why Mercantilism is so weak, it becomes available right when custom houses do and neutralizes the entire building. Mercantilism is a policy that involves tariffs on international trade so it is strange that custom houses, which are the embodiment of mercantilism, do nothing when under the civic. Having custom houses would be necessary in order to enforce mercantile policy yet the building itself is useless when using Mercantilism. Perhaps it shouldn't be half build but a secondary effect to replace the standard one. Mercantilism theoretically stimulates domestic industry by raising the cost of imports so maybe a production bonus of some kind would be appropriate.

5. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Warlord

I'm not really arguing to get rid of Wembley, nor am I trying to argue that football/soccer isn't the biggest international sport. I am pointing to the diversity of international sports to argue that such diversity is not represented by the Wembley wonder and space exists for a stadium building.

6. Vectors

Vectors Prince

As Canada when I finally got to a World Congress so I could demand Newfoundland from the UK it was not on the list of cities. Please make it so that Newfoundland is guaranteed to be on the list for Canada as it not being on the list guaranteed me failing the UHV.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Oh, it's intended to be available and highly prioritized. Do you still have a save from before the congress? That would help me to find the cause of the problem.

8. Vectors

Vectors Prince

As Canada when I finally got to a World Congress so I could demand Newfoundland from the UK it was not on the list of cities. Please make it so that Newfoundland is guaranteed to be on the list for Canada as it not being on the list guaranteed me failing the UHV.

9. Vectors

Vectors Prince

In another game I saw the Netherlands have 17 slaves and then latter they had 20 slaves, is that WAD?

10. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Chieftain

I have played 4 games from 3000 bc lately, and England seems to be settling the worst cities. I have seen London + Plymouth + Birmingham, London + Bath + Manchester, among other terrible combinations. A waste of starting settlers.

They fall behind in tech quickly as these cities are settled too densely and steal tiles from each other. England has eventually collapsed in all of these instances, sometimes before they are in the renaissance. Anybody else notice this?

I have some screenshots I can upload when I get back to my desktop.

11. 2015

2015 Chieftain

I'll be honest I liked it when England was OP. I think now AI England is just terrible. They're always low on the score charts and their civilization collapses entirely. England shouldn't collapse at all until they reach their peak empire, and even then only collapse to the core.

I'm not English just think they should be more powerful :p

12. 2015

2015 Chieftain

~~Sorry double post~~

13. jekke

jekke Warlord

not sure if it is the right thread, but still:
    I'm playing Carthage, my capitol is in Cyprus (contested) and I also have Messina (historical). Apparently I am unstable due to overexpansion (-21), which is puzzling but maybe I could get it somehow (no cities in my core area anyway). But then, I am quite ok unless I research techs. As soon as I acquire any tech (math, monarchy, agriculture) either by research or by trade, I immediately collapse and lose both cities.
    I noticed the same thing with Polynesia a while ago, settling out of your core area is fine as long as you don't do research. New tech -> collapse.
    So how is it working, learning new stuff triggers stability check, or what? and why?

14. cudfather

cudfather Prince

Yes, discovering techs triggers a stability check.

15. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

After doing a few Byzantine 3000 BC starts.

1. Dharanis can cross capes, intentional?
    2. Buddhism or some other asian religion usually makes it way to some of the Greek cities.
    3. Building production civic bonuses usually appear far later than the buildings themselves. Guilds is one example. And the bonus for constructing universities arrives eons of time later.

16. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Having no cities in your core is a very bad idea, it causes maximum overexpansion penalty IIRC.

17. FinalLegendZero

FinalLegendZero Prince

This. Expansion stability is calculated by how much population is in non-core cities versus core cities (plus some other modifiers relating to the non-core cities). If you have no core cities, your Expansion rating automatically plummets to the lowest possible value.

18. jekke

jekke Warlord

Thanks, got it now. Goodbye crazy settling strategies, like vikings in Lithuania or Egypt in south Africa.

Any logic behind this? I mean, civil wars breaking out upon learning differential calculus?

19. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Communism ? Liberalism ? Currency can also be a big change for an already unstable community. I'm sure you can find more yourself.

20. jekke

jekke Warlord

So you mean, some few discoveries can trigger civil unrest, and I totally agree with you here. However, that's not how it is working now, is it? A stability check upon researching Communism is hardly a unreasonable thing.

----
    anyway, I thought all those little faraway Incas can't vassalize before you learn Astronomy, and yet they happily agree to capitulate to my chinese conquerors. Would you like a save for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.