Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is that happiness and health are valued by their actual effects now (mitigated unhappiness/food loss), and therefore scale with the size of your empire. Strategic resources don't scale in the same way, which should probably change. The divergence between smaller and larger empires could also be smoothed a bit.

The thing is that happiness and health are valued by their actual effects now (mitigated unhappiness/food loss), and therefore scale with the size of your empire. Strategic resources don't scale in the same way, which should probably change. The divergence between smaller and larger empires could also be smoothed a bit.

Yeah, strategic resources need to be valued higher, for example civs should be willing to trade a lot for an iron when they have neither copper or iron.

I understand the logic and it certainly makes sense, but it seems a bit TOO harsh to me, especially when my freaking vassal demands 4 resources from me in order to give me 1, can't vassals at least be exempt from the new rules? Or is there a file I can look at in order to change the values myself? :)

is this playable? (as in, only very tiny bugs)

The current svn is pretty stable. If you want to know more about recent bugs, check the Bug Reports Thread and the SVN log to see what bugs have been addressed.

The only potential issue with the current version is the tech speed changes, but that varies on difficulty level and who you ask.

Holy crap Leoreth, your still at it?!?!?!?!

I haven't played CIV forever but had a hankering for some SOI. Come strolling through here, on the off chance this thing was still alive, maybe someone new had taken up the reigns now that you have moved onto modding Valhalla, yet here you are.

wow.

Now I'm gonna have to check out your work.

P.S. my wife hates you

P.P.S. any hints on a CIV with a radically different experience?

How would I go about editing the mod so that all units had a movement speed of 10?

I saw someone else had done this before but I can't seem to find the post for it.

Holy crap Leoreth, your still at it?!?!?!?!

I haven't played CIV forever but had a hankering for some SOI. Come strolling through here, on the off chance this thing was still alive, maybe someone new had taken up the reigns now that you have moved onto modding Valhalla, yet here you are.

wow.

Now I'm gonna have to check out your work.
I live only a half life, a wretched existence, neither dead nor truly alive. Valhalla is out of reach for me. On irregular intervals I rise from my crypt and push some commits to the SVN. Nobody has been able to predict these events, although scholars speculate about contributing factors like the phase of the moon and the weather in Central Europe.

P.S. I'm sleep deprived right now.

P.S. my wife hates you
That means I'm doing my job right ;) Seriously though, don't overdo it.

P.P.S. any hints on a CIV with a radically different experience?
Uh two years ago I don't even know what changed since then. Maybe try one of the new ones (Canada, Polynesia, Harappa)?

How would I go about editing the mod so that all units had a movement speed of 10?

I saw someone else had done this before but I can't seem to find the post for it.
Simply edit the units individually in the unit XML.

I like how city maintenance is the new restricting factor of empire expansion (except for stability) instead of science penalty.

However, I still consider armies to be too cheap. Keeping a few SODs to deal with pesky civs makes it too easy for the human player to dominate the world if you start as an early civ. I know no empire that could afford a huge standing army for hundreds of years without sacrificing something else.

I think it would be more realistic to play if armies were raised and disbanded every now and then. Maybe then mercenaries and conscripts would be more useful.

Srpts mod has a certain number of units allowed depending on city size. Realistic, but still doesnt really deter keeping SODs alive forever.

What is Valhalla?
Basically Viking heaven.

And iMoves would be the correct one to edit? Just wanna make sure.
Yes.

I like how city maintenance is the new restricting factor of empire expansion (except for stability) instead of science penalty.

However, I still consider armies to be too cheap. Keeping a few SODs to deal with pesky civs makes it too easy for the human player to dominate the world if you start as an early civ. I know no empire that could afford a huge standing army for hundreds of years without sacrificing something else.

I think it would be more realistic to play if armies were raised and disbanded every now and then. Maybe then mercenaries and conscripts would be more useful.

Srpts mod has a certain number of units allowed depending on city size. Realistic, but still doesnt really deter keeping SODs alive forever.
Do you mean too cheap in terms of maintenance or in terms of production?

I was just reading through the posts in here from the latest 6 months, at one point you are mentioning some planned changes to religion spread and so on, e.g. prohibiting certain religions spreading in certain areas unless it is the state religion of the owner of the cities - what has been the conclusion here?

Leoreth: Maybe both. But mostly maintenance. Production is just the number of turns you need for your SODs. And one warrior costs the same as a carrier.

I was just reading through the posts in here from the latest 6 months, at one point you are mentioning some planned changes to religion spread and so on, e.g. prohibiting certain religions spreading in certain areas unless it is the state religion of the owner of the cities - what has been the conclusion here?
That is actually the only big set of changes I want to get in before release, besides fixing smaller issues. There is some dead code still lying around that needs to be adjusted a bit, and I need to come up with a good mechanism that allows a more believable concentric religion spread. But the goal is definitely still current.

Leoreth: Maybe both. But mostly maintenance. Production is just the number of turns you need for your SODs. And one warrior costs the same as a carrier.
Yeah, but I think we need to invest some effort to identify the source of the problem. Is it too easy to keep your armies alive? Is it too easy to replace losses? Is keeping an army during peace time too cheap?

Maybe upkeep should increase with unit level? This would probably help the AI vs the human player.

Armies are basically free now on maintenance. Only when you invade your supply demand increases a bit making troops slightly more expensive.

That is actually the only big set of changes I want to get in before release, besides fixing smaller issues. There is some dead code still lying around that needs to be adjusted a bit, and I need to come up with a good mechanism that allows a more believable concentric religion spread. But the goal is definitely still current.

Yeah, but I think we need to invest some effort to identify the source of the problem. Is it too easy to keep your armies alive? Is it too easy to replace losses? Is keeping an army during peace time too cheap?

Maybe upkeep should increase with unit level? This would probably help the AI vs the human player.

Well. You are the better game designer. I just wished that an eternal SoD or two was not a game beating strategy for some early civs. Military domination should come at a cost, monetary would be good (cause that would punish you scientifically as well).

Maybe military maintenance should scale exponentially for number of units. Make defensive units like longbowmen cost less than offensive units like knights. Same cost for land/sea/air? Carriers vs warriors? Drafting could be allowed for more civics but at different consequences.

And some thoughts about Indonesians:

- Their UB, a pagan temple. Since the civ starts with Buddhism as state religion and organized religion as civic you miss out on the happiness effect from start. Kinda mean.
- Their UP. Kinda cool but a bit random. Maybe best in later parts of the game when ships really start to be produced en masse.
- Their UU. A pirate ship. For sinking ships that could contribute to their UP. Not good. Why not switch with Tamils? The Tamils can be pirates and the Indonesians get some kind of water patrol police instead.

Finally. To win UHV1 you need cities but maintenance sky rockets after three cities. And Mongols usually fail to take China. They massacre the defense of a city or two. Then the chinese culture absorbs the surroundings and the chinese army can start picking at their units since they can move freely around the encircled cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom