1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Curse LLC - more than 280 firms have access to data on our pcs while visiting CFC

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Civinator, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Noble Zarkon, I logged out and than I logged in again, but the banner is still there.

What now ? And what is with these double posts done by CFC ?

Attached Files:

2. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I'll refer this matter to Thunderfall. Sorry that you are having problems.

3. Civinator

Petek, thank you very much for your reply. :) And I´m not the only supporter, who has this problem.

4. Civinator

I logged out and than logged in again, but this *** banner ist still there.

Can it be, that it was simply forgotten at CFC, to adjust the banner to supporters, especially long-time supporters, as the data of the civers now are sold to Wikia Inc. and no longer to Curse?

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I had just assumed that the banner just always pops up, because when you surf to CFC, it's not known that you're a supporter, but that it then probably doesn't have an impact anymore after you logged in :dunno:.

6. Civinator

Until yesterday all was o.k. Even when I 'surfed' to CFC and entered the forums no banner popped up. Yesterday this all changed drastically. And as said: I´m not the only one. I know about another modder, who klicked to accept the transfer of his data, only to get rid of those restrictions - but he is a long-time supporter, who paid the 36 USD, too. This CFC member lives in the USA.

The_J, as you have the supporter-button, too: Don´t you have these problems ?

Why I am there at CFC when logged in, with the avatar and the supporter-button, and can post (so with massive difficulties) but I´m not there in terms of that banner ? I think when I klick on that 'got it, thanks!' button, the terror by this banner will dissapear, but my data are transferred, what I tried to avoid by becoming a long time supporter.

7. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I'm a supporter too and I'm not having these issues, @Thunderfall is looking at it.

8. The_J

I see it always. But on all my devices the cookies get deleted when I close the browser, so that is probably causing it.
    I see the banner also after logging in, if I didnt accept it before. I just assumed that was a global rule.

9. Civinator

The_J, it seems you are hit even more worse than me. Until some days ago, I never had any problems with that advertisement banner when accessing CFC as a supporter, while beeing pemanently 'logged in' at CFC. The banner simply didn´t appear -what I´m thinking should be 'normal' and not to trigger the 'Got it, thanks!'-button every time I a have access to CFC as a 'logged in' supporter.

As every supporter seems to consider the procedure of triggering or not triggering that button when visiting CFC as the normal 'global' rule, there is the interesting question to CFC, what should be normal when visiting CFC as a supporter: To trigger the 'Got it, thanks! button each time when visiting CFC and setting the browser to eliminate all cookies after that visit (and in that case what happens with all the data of the supporter that can be seen by Wikia Inc. and partners during such a visit) or that such a banner shouldn´t appear for a supporter when visiting CFC and beeing permanently be 'logged in' at CFC ?

I only get aware, that here something cannot be 'normal' due to the rapid change I had some days ago while permanently beeing 'logged in' at CFC.

I use Google Chrome as browser. The last update of that browser on my pc was 15th July 2019. After reading the last post of The_J, I logged out at CFC while using the Google Chrome browser and logged in at CFC with the Microsoft Edge browser. Of course the 'Got it, thanks! banner popped up. I did log in at CFC, but the terror-banner still stayed during my visit of CFC while using that browser. I left CFC with the Microsoft Edge browser, while staying to be 'logged in' at CFC. Than I visited CFC again with the Microsoft Edge browser. I was recognized at CFC with my user name, my avatar and the supporter button below the avatar - but this terror-banner popped up again even while using that other browser. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

10. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

If you are a supporter and logged in with cookies retained you should not see the banner - I'm not sure why you are experiencing this, as I say I cannot replicate this behaviour.

11. Civinator

Noble Zarkon, thank you very much for your replies and let´s hope that this problem can be solved soon. My be these mysterious double posts, that I have linked, can help. It´s crazy to do one post and to see this post several times, one below the other, in the same thread, all with the same content and the same date (in one case 4 times the same post and in the other three times) and when leaving that thread and returning later to that thread, these posts still remain as double posts in the thread.

12. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

@Civinator -- I removed you from the Supporter group and added you back in. Perhaps that will clear up the problem. Any change?

13. Civinator

Petek, thank you very much for all your efforts, but as the screenshot attached to this post shows, unfortunately nothing has changed. The banner is still there - and it seems even The_J has problems with that banner, too

Attached Files:

14. The_J

I'd not call it a problem though, since I deem it in my case normal behaviour of the technology :dunno:.
    The banner will appear if no cookie is set, and in my case the cookie is never set, bc my settings always delete them.
    I guess it shouldn't be necessary to agree with it after logging in, since no data should be transferred. But that might anyways not be the case since you are not seeing any advertisement due to the supporter status. Or maybe it is. Might be worth checking.

15. Civinator

The problem is still there. In the headline I receive a sign that the CFC site tries to attache unauthorized scripts that are blocked.

Attached Files:

16. Civinator

At present when visiting the CFC forums, I register 11 recognized attempts at CFC to steal my data, among them attempts by Twitter and Google Analytics (besides that I´m a supporter).

Attached Files:

17. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Being a supporter removes ads, not trackers.

18. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    I'm not sure if it's OK to bump this, but the pop-up to adjust/reject all data collection appears to have been revised relatively recently, which has (deliberately?) made it even more inconvenient to use (it was already irritating, but now it's graduated to annoying).

There used to be only 5 sliders to adjust, but the pop-up was small enough (top to bottom) that all 5 showed onscreen. Now there are 6 sliders, and the default size of the pop-up has been at least doubled (tripled?), such that only the top 3 sliders now show, on either of my monitors (the primary is 1600*1200, the secondary is 1680*1050, so it's not as if I don't have sufficient resolution to show all 6 sliders).

My browser's security settings (Firefox under Win8.1) are set to the highest level possible, so all cookies, etc. are deleted regularly: every time I shut down the app, IIRC. So every time I visit CFC (at least once per day, pathetic as that might make me sound), before I can even sign in -- i.e. buying CFC-membership won't change this! -- I have to do the following:

- Click on the 'Learn more' button on the warning banner
    - Click once on each of the visible (upper) 3 sliders
    - Scroll the pop-up
    - Click on the lower 3 sliders
    - Click on 'Save and exit' button

So, 8 clicks (if each click is registered on the first attempt -- which frequently isn't the case) plus a scroll, just to say that I don't wish to be spied on. Every time I visit CFC.

It would be much more user- (and mouse-!) friendly if if Curse (or Wikia, or Fandom, or whoever is running this 'service' now) would
    EITHER
    set all the pop-up sliders to 'off' by default, so all I then have to do is click on 'Learn more' then 'Save and exit' (2 clicks in total: this would be my preference)
    OR
    at least insert a 'master-slider' at the top of the pop-up, to allow deactivation of all 6 sliders in a single click (3 clicks in total).

Plenty of other websites use one or the other of these mechanisms as default, so why not CFC?

19. Noble Zarkon

I'll report your issues but please note if you always delete cookies then you can expect to have issues, have you considered a less strict policy for sites you visit often?

20. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Why should I have to do that, though?

To be quite frank, given the (mediocre to poor*) way that GDPR 'compliance' is currently implemented here (which is, after all, what prompted @Civinator to start this thread in the first place), I don't particularly want to make an exception for CFC -- because I don't trust its 'partners' not to try and take a mile from any inch that I give.

And I don't even mind so much having to specify what information is shared (or not) each time. My point is simply that -- from the user's PoV, anyway -- the pop-up that [CFC] currently forces its visitors to use (those who are concerned about collection of online data, anyway), could be much better designed.

*post edited

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Sonereal likes this.