1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Curse LLC - more than 280 firms have access to data on our pcs while visiting CFC

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Civinator, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Missed your reply sorry. Cookies are the way the Internet works, you might not like that and you are certainly free to deal with them as you wish but, as I said, you can expect things not to work properly if you always delete them.

2. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Further to my comments above, I notice that (since Jan 1st?) I am no longer required to adjust any sliders when I arrive at CFC. Instead I do not see a 'data collection authorisation' pop-up at all (neither before nor after I log in).

I'd like to be glad about this, but I have not changed the browser(s) I habitually use to access CFC (Firefox for PC at home, Firefox for Mac in the office); both fully updated AFAIK. And since it is still (AFAIK) a European legal requirement that website-visitors are informed of (and/or can refuse to accept) some/all of the purposes that their data might be put to, I have to ask:

Can I take that to mean that CFC's new(?)/current ad-delivery partner is not aggressively collecting/collating/disseminating user-data, or has something gone wrong?

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

4. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. I finally figured out how to reproduce the GDPR notice on my system. Fandom and Wikia are the same company (Wikia's the older name for Fandom). It owns Curse, which is responsible for serving up ads on CFC. The Cookie notice originates from Wikia (not CFC) and depends on running a script from wikia.com. Wikia may have recently made a change to the script, which could account for why some see the notice and others do not. (When looking into this matter, I ran into such concepts as supercookies and HTML cookies. These are different from regular cookies. Some browsers and other programs appear to recognize these other cookies and some do not.)

AFAICS, no changes have been made how user data is collected or used. Please post if you have any questions or comments.

Noble Zarkon likes this.