Cybersecurity

My TV is a complex device. It doesn't require maintenance.

You also throw it away if it doesn't work anymore, and you have like 3 buttons to push there.

Maybe your heating system is a better comparison.
And soon all of that will be connected to the internet.

Actually, I think people should make a computer usage license, comparable to a driving license. People are just to inept with computers. One of my friends got totally lost when she tried to use my computer, because I've set the default search engine in my browser to wikipedia...she didn't know how to get to another website. And that's someone with a masters degree.
And then you expect people to recognize e.g. phishing sites if the URL is bogus (which is a very simple thing)....not gonna happen there, as it seems.
It just requires more education.

Which antivirus?

Sophos has a free antivirus for Linux systems.
(think a bunch of others too, but I regularly read the blog from Sophos, so that was the first one I thought about and installed)
For Android, all the big companies have an antivirus out. I use the one from Ikarus (apparently a not that small AV company, hadn't heard of them before), because it's free and you can download it directly from the manufacturer, without going via the playstore.

Is that the only threat out there? I don't think so.
People surf the net and check their emails on their phones, these attack vectors need to be considered too.

Also...I don't know. Do you?

Wanted to get back to this:
To you guys who are doing The Most here, do you really think these are realistic regimens for the majority of people who use electronics? In the future when these devices are even more inextricably linked to people's daily lives, don't you imagine that casual tinkerers would be able to wreak absolute havoc on ordinary people?

This now really depends on if you're talking about strictly security, or if it's also about privacy, which some people here consider.

If it's purely about security, then...what should and can you easily do...mmhh...well...as Zelig said (nearly)
- have an up to date OS: Think that works for desktop OS', but not for mobile, and it's the vendors + googles fault (not the end user), but will hopefully be fixed in the future.
- use an up to date antivirus: Think most people do that...I hope. It shouldn't be hard, it's one program to install, and today they don't interfere that much with other stuff anymore
- use a firewall: Should be the same as above, but isn't, I think. Most people don't realize probably what a firewall does, and how it works to use one. Default setup is probably also to complicated for most people. I don't see that changing though, because after all this time this should already be user friendly.
- don't install crap/open crap like random emails: That probably works already on mobile. While mandatory central install repositories are a nightmare for privacy, they enhance the security quite a lot. On desktop OS the situation is different, and people are not aware what the secure sources are. For emails...people think just opening can't harm them, and they're not educated enough to see how it could. This will hopefully change, since it's not a hard thing to do.
- use strong passwords/password storage vault (however you call that): People are lazy, they're not doing that ("why should anyone be interested in me?"...they don't understand that actually nobody is, and your cracked account is just one out of a million). Using only a few strong passwords together with a password management program is also easy, not hard to set up, not hard to use. Most people should be able to do that.
- don't use flash/java: Most systems still have them, although they're totally useless/unnecessary for most of the people. Will probably change within the next few years. If you're aware of it, it shouldn't be hard to uninstall both programs, and you'll hardly have any problems with it.
- block ads: Malicious advertisement is probably the biggest threat for at least security semi-aware users. Using an adblocker is easy, and also doesn't interfere with most things out there.

If you're now talking about privacy...that's a lot more complicated.

Top Bottom