Damn Democracy

commodified

Calculator
Hey Everybody -

I thought democracy was the best gov't type, but I just switched to it from Monarchy and am getting screwed. Here's the deal.

I just wiped the Romans and the Aztecs off the map, so I've got about 80 Cavalry all over the place. They're sucking up my money (because Democracies don't pay for troops) and I won't ever need that many again (no big bad militaristic civs left). Should I just disband them all, or what?

Also, when I switched to Democracy all my peeps got terribly unhappy, despite the cathedrals that abound. What's the deal? Were they doing just great in Monarchy because they didn't care about war but now (a mere turn after swithing to Democracy) they're war weary? If so, would simply not being at war with anybody alleviate the problem?

Thanks a lot.

Are you still at war w/ anybody? I so, end the war as soon as you can. Also, you will generally have a lot of problems switching to Rep/Dem from other govts because you lose military police. I would advise you to get as many luxuries as you, and turn the luxury rate up as well.

Provided you have luxuries/marketplaces set up, you might want to try switching to republic instead of democracy. A Republic will do everything a democracy will (minus the slightly faster workers) but the war weariness is far less. Republic is generally considered the best government.

As GeneralTacticus said, you will want a good amount of luxuries and happiness improvements before you switch to the representative governments to compensate for losing your military police.

I'm not sure how war weariness is calculated when switching to republic/democracy during war time, perhaps it factored in the entire time you were at war?

Hey thanks guys for all your help -

Everything's going really well now that I'm still peaceful. I love these fast workers!

Anywho, one of my questions still remains: what to do with the cavalry. I'm not interested in a conquest victory. Should I disband 'em?

Merci! :borg:

take your cavalry to the last big enemy and sign a RoP
place those cavalry against all the enemy citys.
break treaty attack succeed and WHAm!you conquered his empire in one turn

what exactly is military police??? I personaly thought that they vere the units suported per town like u cannot build let's say loike more than 6 ro whatever military units in despotism for example...can someone tell me that I'm wrong? ??

I think it really doesn't worth it to switch on democracy unless u;re playing a religious civ :O

Military police can be any unit with an attack of 1 or higher. When stationed in a city they will make one unhappy citizen content per each unit. In despotism you can have a max of 2 units acting as MPs, monarchy 3, and communism 4. You can not use military police as an anarchy, republic, or democracy.

When switching to a Republic/democracy you want to make sure you have at least a few luxuries, and a suitable amount of happiness improvements to compensate for the loss of your MPs.

I think it really doesn't worth it to switch on democracy unless u;re playing a religious civ :O

I agree. :)

Demo actually sucks in civ3. I've played ctp2 a lot and I like the many different government options. I use republic all the time, and mostly I don't even bother to research monarchy. When you switch to republic early you don't have to adapt :borg: to the MP loss.

About war weariness: indeed, it fades away when you're no longer at war. Note that war weariness can actually be reduced (it reduces unhappines) when the AI declares war on you. Also, war weariness is higher with civilians of the opposite civilization (which can become a nuisance in occupied cities).

Why is the religious trait good in combination with democracy by the way?

Originally posted by Shabbaman
Why is the religious trait good in combination with democracy by the way?

Because religious civs can switch government with one turn of anarchy. It helps if democracy revolts or if you want to switch to communism for war.

I Think Demo is actually a good gov, I use it most of the time. It takes me a while to get to demo, usually I will go to demo after the midevil and industrial wars, sometimes in industrial era I will switch. I like the fast workers and the science rate. I stay in desp for a while and just buy the techs off the AI, then when my empire is how I want it, then I switch to demo, crank up the science and become a massive production powerhouse.

[pimp]

Top Bottom