Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Here's the save - I'm on the initial 1.14 release.

Attachments

• Sobieski AD-1570 Turn 295.CivBeyondSwordSave
    966.3 KB · Views: 52
Thanks. I've made a note and will look into it when time permits.

Is there a limit now on the use of missionaries? I'm working on the Polish UHV, and running into an issue where my Protestant missionary doesn't have the option to spread the religion to my 4th city. Holy city in Krakow, and I successfully used missionaries on cities 2 and 3. Thanks!
State religion is still Catholicsm.
Cities are:
- Kraków - C, O, P (shrine)
- Królewiec - C, O, P (missionary successful)
- Ryga - C, P (missionary successful)
- Kyiv - C, O, P (missionary unable to spread)
- Odessa - C, O, P (missionary unable to spread)

Maybe you change the state religion or do the Inquisition in the cities (Kyiv, Odessa).

Why on the Suez Canal?

I haven't tested it yet, so I might be missing something obvious, but: It allows you to get access to all the flood plains, namely the one 2E of the wheat. It also allows you to settle your capital further south to pick up even more flood plains down there. The canal also has great strategic advantages because it cuts off Asia. You can also move naval units through, although that's mostly just a convenience.

I noticed that if you settle your capital in place, the canal is so far away that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get culture on it. That means you can't even build a fort there.

I haven't tested it yet, so I might be missing something obvious, but: It allows you to get access to all the flood plains, namely the one 2E of the wheat. It also allows you to settle your capital further south to pick up even more flood plains down there. The canal also has great strategic advantages because it cuts off Asia. You can also move naval units through, although that's mostly just a convenience.
I noticed that if you settle your capital in place, the canal is so far away that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get culture on it. That means you can't even build a fort there.

You can capture Jerusalem and build a fort on the canal.

You can capture Jerusalem and build a fort on the canal.

That's true, although I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Anyway, I ended up finding a better city layout which incidentally generates culture on that tile. Basically just need to settle your capital 1N of spawn, and everything else fits into place nicely.

I also have a question. Am I correct that Taoism cannot be your state religion? If so, doesn't that make it impossible to spread Taoism outside of Asia? I founded Taoism as Egypt, but the free missionary that I received is completely useless.

Maybe organized religion could let you use missionaries to spread religion regardless of the regional lockout?

Have you adopted Taoism as your state religion? State religion is supposed to override regional restrictions.

The requirement for trade routes to trade techs and the removal of free barb wins have done much to improve the realism of playing the chinese game. A lot harder that is.

Still missing internal chinese conflicts. All barbs spawn to the north and west at certain choke points.

I also think that Budhism spreads to easily in China compared to Confucianism.

When I collapse as Egypt, the turns continue, allowing me to pick the new civ, where I went and won the game. Is this intended? I've never see it before.

No, do you still have the save from before the collapse?

Here's the save - I'm on the initial 1.14 release.
Okay - this works as intended, Protestantism is not supposed to spread there, the only way to override this is to adopt it as your state religion.

Just played a few games as the Dutch on Monarch and Emperor; but every time I kept being cheated of the UHV because all the European civilisations kept collapsing after just losing one or two colonies.
Britain or Spain may have 4-5 cities in the America's; but both collapse to independents after only moderate pressure, making the UHV nearly impossible.

Just played a few games as the Dutch on Monarch and Emperor; but every time I kept being cheated of the UHV because all the European civilisations kept collapsing after just losing one or two colonies.
Britain or Spain may have 4-5 cities in the America's; but both collapse to independents after only moderate pressure, making the UHV nearly impossible.
I see similar effects playing as England. Europeans collapse left and right before Astronomy. Several possible causes:

- Vikings beating the crap out of HRE and collapsing both

- Byzantium collapsing leading to Europeans (HRE, France, Spain, Poland) taking previously Byz cities and then collapsing

- Chain reaction of one civ collapsing, and then other civs taking the cores of the collapsing civ and collapsing in return. A common example: Vikings kill HRE, both collapse; Poland/France takes previously HRE cities, both collapse; Spain takes previously French cities, collapse; etc. etc.

It seems like Persia is super unwilling to trade Monarchy, even when Cyrus is the leader. They used to almost always trade it. What factors into whether they're trading it or not?

What reason are they giving when refusing to trade?

It seems the merge of my last PR didn't happen. I did some updates since the last commit.

2 new options: No Congress, No Plague
Moved StoredData functions from Plague.py to StoredData.py
New editable variable: Amount of turns until next congress

Top Bottom