Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

I think their point is that if China is leading the world, it should develop its own industrial period music instead of adopting European music.

Dear God but how can this mod take so long to load? I think Caveman2Cosmos is faster.

Last edited:
The loading time is frontloaded to optimise for better performance during the game. C2C needs 10 seconds to open a civilopedia page so I take that as hyperbole.

Confirmed: C2C loads over twice as fast on my laptop (which is very high-end).

And Leoreth would agree with that; he just gave the reason for it being that way.

It means that you have exceeded the population threshold to achieve a domination victory (but you need enough land as well in order to win).

Last edited:

On my PC, which is good but certainly not "very high end", the game takes around 20 seconds to load, a completely acceptable time frame in my opinion. Therefore, your Laptop is either not as "high end" as you claim it to be, or I see no reason why you are complaining about the loading times.

On my PC, which is good but certainly not "very high end", the game takes around 20 seconds to load, a completely acceptable time frame in my opinion. Therefore, your Laptop is either not as "high end" as you claim it to be, or I see no reason why you are complaining about the loading times.

I swear that I can click on the mod, go to the kitchen and warm up salmon in a microwave, and return and still have time to listen to a full song a Youtube. It's two minutes if I'm lucky.

(I don't suppose my Civ4 being on Steam might be interacting badly with it? Is that possible?)

I swear that I can click on the mod, go to the kitchen and warm up salmon in a microwave, and return and still have time to listen to a full song a Youtube. It's two minutes if I'm lucky.

(I don't suppose my Civ4 being on Steam might be interacting badly with it? Is that possible?)

You have never played Civ5, have you? Because if you did I guarantee you there is no mod no matter how big or small for Civ4 that would feel slow for you.

Varietas Delectat is cause, with it I have similar experience of +2min to load mod, without it it's about 20-30sec. If you have music mod or others it also lengthen initial load time.

With game assets you have two choices to load them: on startup of the mod, or while it is running. You can control this by which art you relocate to FPKs. In my opinion, it is preferable to have the mod run smoothly during the game and have less MAFs, even if that comes at the cost of longer loading times.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this choice. Also, IIRC the other way of handling memory leads to crashes.

How come nobody comments on the new slavery mechanics?

Slavery is broken, in the nightly isn't it? Does make it so it is a lot harder to play the earliest Civs, maybe it is better to make them start with 1 worker? As now they rarely survive except China... As workers are damn expensive (90) close to a Settler, I understood Slavery made you able to craft slave workers of populace? Also the dealing of slaves seem extremely reduced, somehow in the games I played, not 100% since I didn't adopt Colonialism.

I'm also a little confused on which civics fade out with which technology (democracy, corporation etc...) and then become a -5, (due to the civics names been changed totally) maybe someone can give me a heads up on that? Appreciate.

What's your question exactly? The population hurry option has been removed a while ago with the new set of civics, do you mean that change? Or was there something else that made you expect to be able to hurry workers with Slavery?

I'm just playing a congolese game, and I found an unexpected difficulty : nobody, not one civ, adopted colonialism... so how am I supposed to make money through the slave trade ? (We're in 1778, and many civ know geography, as expected)

Top Bottom