Dear artists and mooders please sign your work

Manifold

ModderProtectionAdvocate
Dear artists and mooders,

i work on a mod and plan to use a lot of great things, like units and LH, from the civfanatics. Of course i will give credit to each and every one, but it is a lot of work to search the whole download section for the creator. I will do this, because i respect your work a lot,

but if you sign your work, i can do my work in meantime. I think, this will be promote the innovations.

So please sign your work in future, by putting a readme.txt in the zip or put your sign in the file by right click on it in the windows explorer. After that everyone can enjoy your fantastic work and credit you.

Thanks

Preannouncement: The World of Odysseus
- Spartiate from Sakhr vs. Minotaur from unknown genius
- Cyclop from ambrox62 (with little edit by me) warm up. Beware of his brother Polyphem!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 113
I have had this same problem, but only because I was unorganized when I first made my mod. What I started doing too late was keeping a notepad file on my desktop called "Partial Credits" that I update every time I add anything. Problem is when I download stuff on speculation I might add it later. So when I download stuff now, I save stuff like woodelf's LunarModule as "LunarModuleWoodelf" in my "StufftoAdd" folder.

Every post in the Download database has a field for author. If you cut something out of a mod you can look at that mod's documentation or I assume just credit as being from that mod if the source mod did not document.

So you're doing a whole Greek Mythology mod? Cool!

Tholish, you are right. I am a pack rat and of corse unorganized. However I guess it promotes the innovation if there is a signatur in the file.

Preannouncement: The World of Odysseus
-Centaur by White Rabbit meets the Kopisfighter by Aranor

I have suggested that if possible authors put a comment in their pedia text if any crediting themselves. I too am a pack rat but I try to add the names into the pedia so that even players get to know of the modders.

Well the fact of the matter is that artists DO put their names on their work, they just do it in the database. What you are REALLY talking about here is that (a) you want them to put it within the files themselves somewhere or (b) you think it is too difficult to go back and look it up yourself because you didn't make a note of it when you downloaded it.

What I do when I save something is put it in a folder by the maker of the work, whether it be a unit, building, LH or whatever. So I'll do something like...

CivFiles/Leaderheads/IgorS/Tamerlane/....

It makes it much easier.

@Dancing Hoskuld: it sounds so easy

@The Capo: CivFiles/MIDDLE_AGE/Leaderheads/MONGOL/Tamerlane/IgorS/....
this makes it much more orderly.

i foresee the same problem for me. At first i did not intend to release the mod i am working on, and still am unsure about it. I will have a lot of neat stuff going on and it would be shame not to. If i do all of the stuff i have collected will need things credited to it. That is probably the biggest hang up in me releasing this mod. Not that it matters i am doing a lot by myself, i will probably have this done by the time civ10 comes out.

Of course if i could get a few other things down just right i would have my own models in there but i cannot figure out the final steps in creating it. I have a hover tank and a few other models ready to go but cannot figure out the rest of the creation so i gave up on it for the moment. I would eventually like to make Terminator robots for infantry. I love modeling but it can get frustrating fumbling you way through things. well that was tangent. Well. If i realese this mod i will add a signature to files.

i just beg to remember: please sign your work somewhere n the uploaded file, it would promote the innovations in many ways

I have a standing policy that I use what I want and credit what I can, and if I don't credit you then get in touch and tell me if you want me to credit you or stop using your stuff.

Top Bottom