Death of the McMansion

As long as Obama is determined to continue Bush's driving the country off of a cliff then you will get your wish. If the economy wasn't in the tank folks would be spending on those homes.

I can only assume that this statement is made out of ignorance. Georgia is a wonderful place to live. Plenty of history, mild winters for the most part, and plenty of beautiful land.

Obama's policies are whats lead to economic recovery with growth at 3.5% and the stock market strengthening and the recession officially over.

Also you listed all the reasons why one wouldn't want to live in Georgia.

Obama's policies are whats lead to economic recovery with growth at 3.5% and the stock market strengthening and the recession officially over.

Also you listed all the reasons why one wouldn't want to live in Georgia.

The recession is over? Wow, I guess that means unemployment is dropping? No, well I guess that little thing doesn't matter.

You wouldn't want to live in Georgia because of what I listed?

Opponents of Obama tend to ignore that Obama is bringing us out of the Bush Recession. Were not out of the woods just yet, we just need more jerbs, then the Bush Recession will be over. Though hopefuly this time there would be more checks in the market to prevent another economic mess.

I don't really care how big someone's house is, but I would like to see a movement away from the "drive everywhere" suburban style planning that spread across the country like a cancer for 50 years.

The reversion to more urban, or European style village planning is preferable IMHO. (Preferable as in, I'd spend the money to buy property.) Walkable town centers with mixed residential/commercial, efficient public transit, etc. etc. If people want a 6 bedroom castle in a well planned out mixed use neighborhood, fine with me. (Assuming the numbers work out where that gets bought and lived in and the community is sustainable economically with that kind of development.)

The thing is that due to zoning laws written for suburban sprawl, that kind of development is actually illegal in much of the U.S.

I live in such a community, and houses are very expensive (I rent for now). Much more expensive (for what you get) than the McMansion developments a thirty-minute drive away. Most houses are small to medium-sized single-families, but there are castles; there are also apartments. There's a five-year waitlist for a parking space near the train station. All things that suggest that people want to live in a place like this! But you can't actually build "new" places like this because of zoning restrictions.

Cleo

I hate these houses. Good riddence. They are monstrosities to look at and the way they suck up energy and promote sprawl growth is disgusting.

Opponents of Obama tend to ignore that Obama is bringing us out of the Bush Recession. Were not out of the woods just yet, we just need more jerbs, then the Bush Recession will be over. Though hopefuly this time there would be more checks in the market to prevent another economic mess.

Need more jerbs? How about this, is unemployment up or down? Let me know when the jobless rate stops increasing, then maybe we can talk about new job creation.

I hate these houses. Good riddence. They are monstrosities to look at and the way they suck up energy and promote sprawl growth is disgusting.
What promotes sprawl is the fact that inner cities are war zones. Why that is would require another thread.

Need more jerbs? How about this, is unemployment up or down? Let me know when the jobless rate stops increasing, then maybe we can talk about new job creation.

If you want to know if the unemployment is up or down, go look it up. I'm not the New York flippin Post here.

Let me know when the employers quit kicking there employees out and making the proles suffer, then maybe we can talk about new job creation.

If you want to know if the unemployment is up or down, go look it up. I'm not the New York flippin Post here.

Let me know when the employers quit kicking there employees out and making the proles suffer, then maybe we can talk about new job creation.

I don't need to look it up, I know the answer. Unlike you I am informed when I post. (reread what I wrote & you will see the answer)

Employers lay employees off in order to stay financially solvent so that they can keep doing business & not have the company go under and thus leave everybody who was employed by the company out of work.

What is a prole?

I don't need to look it up, I know the answer.
As do I.

Unlike you I am informed when I post.
Again, you are quite wrong on that assumption and resorting to childish trolling. I am quite well informed when I post. Think again the next time you have the urge to troll.

Employers lay employees off in order to stay financially solvent so that they can keep doing business & not have the company go under and thus leave everybody who was employed by the company out of work.
All fine and dandy when unemployment rate is not creeping towards 10%. What choices does the individual who was let go in an economy with a lack of jobs? Other than wait in long lines at the unemployment counter and searching for a job till his/her unemployment benefits run out.

What is a prole?
I guess you aren't well informed when you post then.

All fine and dandy when unemployment rate is not creeping towards 10%. What choices does the individual who was let go in an economy with a lack of jobs? Other than wait in long lines at the unemployment counter and searching for a job till his/her unemployment benefits run out.

I guess you aren't well informed when you post then.

Newsflash, unemployment is over 10%, and closer to 20% if the pre Clinton administration standards are used. Having said that, what does your response have to do with what I said?

Sorry, I never read 1984, although it is on my to do list. Now I know what a prole is after having looked it up. At least I can admit when I don't know something (like the use of a word which is exclusive to a fictional work) unlike those who spout off incorrect information................

Newsflash, unemployment is over 10%, and closer to 20% if the pre Clinton administration standards are used. Having said that, what does your response have to do with what I said?
Wrong again there little troll, the unemployment rate is no where near close to 20%. Since when is 10.2% considered over? 12% 15% would be over 10%. Again, before you get your head inflated with your little egotrip. I knew this information well before you posted that.

Sorry, I never read 1984, although it is on my to do list. Now I know what a prole is after having looked it up. (like the use of a word which is exclusive to a fictional work)
I take it someone hasn't read Karl Mark's Communist Manifesto. The word is not exclusive to a fictional book.

Wrong again there little troll, the unemployment rate is no where near close to 20%. Since when is 10.2% considered over? 12% 15% would be over 10%. Again, before you get your head inflated with your little egotrip. I knew this information well before you posted that.

I take it someone hasn't read Karl Mark's Communist Manifesto. The word is not exclusive to a fictional book.
Dude, read what I said again. The measurement of unemployment was changed under the Clinton administration and has been used ever since. That is apolitical, just a statement of fact. I referred to what it would be under the unit of measure prior to that.

You're absolutely correct. I have not read the Communist Manifesto. Guess what, I haven't read Mein Kampf either. I usually read for fun, not irritation, your posts are the exception that make me question if I have a masochistic need of some sort.

Hey, my bad. I thought is was something like the "jerbs" you were referring to.

The recession is over? Wow, I guess that means unemployment is dropping? No, well I guess that little thing doesn't matter.

You wouldn't want to live in Georgia because of what I listed?

Unemployment is a lagging indicator. A recession can be over (growing GDP) with unemployment lowering later on.

Unemployment is a lagging indicator. A recession can be over (growing GDP) with unemployment lowering later on.

Can being the operative word. We shall see. But I thought the "stimulus" was supposed to prevent this.

But that's the thing. I'm not entirely sure you can have castles in a well planned mixed used neighborhood.
That depends on how sober the planning commission was when they approved the zoning bylaws, and when the original streets were laid out. We do have a neighborhood with this sort of mixed housing, but it takes $$$$$$$$$$ to get in there.

Funny thing, though, is it's geologically unstable and in a few decades at most, it will probably slide into the local river... :devil:

Dude, read what I said again. The measurement of unemployment was changed under the Clinton administration and has been used ever since. That is apolitical, just a statement of fact. I refereed to what it would be under the unit of measure prior to that.

Well, here is the source that I used. If the Bureau of Labor Statistics use the same measurement since the Clinton administration. Then I was not aware that they use that standard

Your posts are the exception that make me question if I have a masochistic need of some sort.
I do have to admit, that your title and avatar does give off that "snake on the hood of the car" vibe. :p

Well, here is the source that I used. If the Bureau of Labor Statistics use the same measurement since the Clinton administration. Then I was not aware that they use that standard

I do have to admit, that your title and avatar does give off that "snake on the hood of the car" vibe. :p
1. Yes, they have. That is what I said.
2. Do you know what my avatar is?
3. I do not believe forum rules allow me to state the vibe your avatars give off, I'll get back to you if I think they allow me to.

3. I do not believe forum rules allow me to state the vibe your avatars give off, I'll get back to you if I think they allow me to.
I'd suggest not going there. Especially when I am unclinching my fist (metaphoricaly) and extending an open palm (I know, lame Obama referance).

^ So you don't know what my avatar is?

Top Bottom