December 2020 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Regarding +4 campus adjacency I believe this counts Natural History doubling, so you really only need +2. Still getting 15 pop will be much harder.
I really would hope so, because getting to +4 as the Maya is pretty hard unless you get a lucky double plantation spawn.
Tbh, this change looks like a pretty significant buff for Korea.

edit: Oof. Maybe it is time to switch back to Korea then.

I feel like neighborhoods need these kinds of yields as a base, with this card doubling their bonus.

They do have buildings, though. So replacing a farm with a neighborhood can be a good change, as you can get:

- Up to 6 food from the food market.
- +4 food +2 production +1 gold from the card and breathtaking location.

A +10 food "tile" is definitely quite good. Or go with the shopping mall and get +4f/+2p/+5g and amenities.

Side note: I always felt that those buildings shouldn't have been one per city, but you could chose which one to build in each neighborhood. Makes more sense, and would make the neighborhoods more valuable.

Thoughts:

Religious Community: I don't think I ever used this before, so I'm glad to see a buff.

Fixed an issue where Wonder build requirements were being fulfilled by districts owned by other players: That was a mistake??? Damn. I did that occaisonally. Too niche to get mad about, but whatever. I wonder if you get adjacencies?

Einstein and Da Vinci changes: both good

Amenity changes: Good. I hate that content used to include -1 becuase you still get a red amenities icon at -1 which annoyed me.

Raj buff: Did this need a buff? I used Raj a lot before, will do so even more now.

Public Transportation Buff: Sounds good. Still won't build neighborhoods much though, partisans still exist even if (barely, and arguably) nerfed.

Democracy buff: Excellent. There's a lot of games where I want to choose democracy but nobody likes me. This gives me a reason not to go communism, which doesn't have good policy slots (forget about fascism, which REALLY needs a buff)

Great person wildcard policy buffs: good, I rarely used them before

Population policy nerfs: Good, these were OP before and I like buffing tall.

Eureka/Civic buffs for needing fewer power plants, biplanes, etc: Mixed bag. For ones like build airpots or power plants, good. Those are super expensive and those eurekas almost always pass me by.

Adding eureka/civics to ones that were previously boost thru spy: good

Changing eureka that used to have a condition into boost thru spy: bad

One title in secret societies mode: I think I am not with the majority here, but I don't like this change. But not enough to reall write a long post about it.

Autocracy effecting diplomatic quarter: Good, although I don't think you'll have autocracy that much longer once you get this district up anyway

No ley lines in snow: Bad, I liked the occaisonally useful snow city. Caveat: changes to a good change if there is a corresponding increase in ley lines in non-snow

Ley line buff: good

Byzantium can no longer have both hippodrome and water park: If your game is still not over by the time water parks come out, you aren't playing Byzantium right. But still, good change, was probably an oversight.

Mines built by gaul now provide tourism: Wow, this could be a real game changer. Suddenly they are going to be a cultural victory powerhouse

Still no "made the hall of fame actually record your wins" bugfix for Switch: bad

Mines built by Gaul now provide tourism.
Gauls were already a surprisingly decent cultural victory civ (not great, but top half) due to the ability to get extra early culture. Tourism on the back half makes them even better.

Also like the new great people bonus cards. I'll have to play a Kristina all art (no archeology) museum game to see if that card is useful enough. Still might not generate artists fast enough, but it might make arch museums vs. art museums a more reasonably balanced proposition than it is now.

I started a new game post-patch, and it has already crashed twice. Is anyone else finding it less stable?

Yeah, I started a game today and it crashed just now. That doesn't happen very often!

On a patch-related note, I just saw AI Aztecs go to war with AI Mongolia. AI Aztecs captured a Mongol city and promptly razed it to the ground (which makes sense as it served no strategic value at all). Guess they aren't blowing smoke about the AI razing cities now.

I think Gaul and maya are now both good picks with hermetic order as they both have adjacency problems that are fixed.

maya is still needing some help (change plantations to plantation resources and increase distance from cap to 10 tiles imo), but at least now one of the secret societies feels like it provides it synergy

I started a new game post-patch, and it has already crashed twice. Is anyone else finding it less stable?

Personally I've been getting fairly frequent crashes since either the Ethiopia patch of the Byzantium/Gaul patch, after having almost no crashes since intial civ VI launch

Grand Opera: Now requires a population of 15 and an adjacency bonus of 4.

Lol.

I think it's nice that the neighborhood's role has seemed to shift more towards creating food, especially now that cards like Rationalism encourage you to grow your cities larger.

They need more passive yields.

I really would hope so, because getting to +4 as the Maya is pretty hard unless you get a lucky double plantation spawn.
Tbh, this change looks like a pretty significant buff for Korea.

edit: Oof. Maybe it is time to switch back to Korea then.

I actually find it doable with just a single plantation resource. Find a plantation resource for +2, two adjacent Farms tiles (forming a triangle the better to place another Farm orthogonally) for +1, and two adjacent districts (City Center-Aqueduct is a good candidate) for another +1 makes +4. It's just Korea with extra steps, which is more engaging and rewarding.

I don't think the "No And Stop Asking" feature is working correctly? I play marathon huge maps and I encountered Norway in my travels. I haven't met all of the other civs yet but I can see that everyone else he's met is either at war or denounced him. He likes me because I built some ships. We exchanged delegations and a couple of turns later he made a declaration of friendship and I clicked "No And Stop Asking". A couple of turns later he asked again. I thought this feature was supposed to prevent this? I could understand maybe if there was a new era or many turns had passed but I'm playing on marathon and it was only a few turns later when he asked again.

"No And Stop Asking". A couple of turns later he asked again.
I believe they said it would be reduced, not totally stopped. The couple of turns I wouldn’t have expected either, but perhaps it’s just reduced probability ....? (I would hope not but maybe it was the best way to do it).

I've had one crash, but I've been having occasional crashes since one of those packs !ast summer. The game almost never crashed up to gathering storm.

I'm noticing the ai offering significant amounts for luxury and strategic resources along with diplo favor. I'm guessing ai puts more value on amenities now, but even strategic are getting me good trades.

I can't be sure, but I felt like I did have one governor promotion come up when discovering a secret society. Could be a coincidence though. I was hoping to try ley lines, but they didn't come up early enough.

Playing as Catherine magnificent, since I just noticed on my hall of fame she's the only one not lit up.

I believe they said it would be reduced, not totally stopped. The couple of turns I wouldn’t have expected either, but perhaps it’s just reduced probability ....? (I would hope not but maybe it was the best way to do it).

He asked again a few turns later too! If he asked yet again I would have been tempted to sail over to his territory and declare war so he'd stop asking. I played on a little bit longer and so far he hasn't bothered me in the new era. I swear if he does, I am going to join whoever he's at war with and wipe him out. :lol:

Top Bottom