December 2020 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

The AI razing city-states has ruined the game for me. Not going to play until it is fixed.

Being able to instantly raze a city is quite problematic: you cannot react from it. If done by mistake, you cannot cancel it: you have to reload (if you allow yourself to do it). I kind of miss how Civilization V did it: slowly draining population while being able to sell infrastructure one at the time and being hit by a huge unhappiness malus in the process. Conquering a city was quite different: are you able to keep it (wide maluses + happiness + gold constraint in V, Loyalty in VI) or not and have to raze it (big unhappiness hit in V, nothing really in VI except some DF penalty due to warmongering?).

But I don't know how exactly where the problem is: is the AI too willing to raze, or the whole razing mechanic quite bad?

The AI razing city-states has ruined the game for me. Not going to play until it is fixed.

AI razing CS is as counter-game-mechanic as AI razing capital cities, and the latter of which is being considered as a bug one month before.

It does, however, make you really care about those city states you care about. Up to considering a betrayal. It really shakes up the stale diplomacy of Civ 6 a bit. At first I was appalled having witnessed my precious bite the dust one after another, but now that I thought about it, I kinda start liking the challenge. You may even need some serious naval task force to throw your weight about on the other side of the world. So now I don't really know if I want them to fix this alleged bug :)

It does, however, make you really care about those city states you care about. Up to considering a betrayal. It really shakes up the stale diplomacy of Civ 6 a bit. At first I was appalled having witnessed my precious bite the dust one after another, but now that I thought about it, I kinda start liking the challenge. You may even need some serious naval task force to throw your weight about on the other side of the world. So now I don't really know if I want them to fix this alleged bug :)

I play deity huge maps with max city states. They will be razed before you even meet them.

Agree 100%. I'm not going to quit playing because of it but its extremely annoying. My last game started with 15 city states, and by the end of the game only 5 remained. Eight of the ten captured city states were razed.

Since the last patch I did not play a single game that did not crash at least once. Playing was more stable earlier, I hope they do something about the crashes.

Agree 100%. I'm not going to quit playing because of it but its extremely annoying. My last game started with 15 city states, and by the end of the game only 5 remained. Eight of the ten captured city states were razed.

The AI is even doing it when they are the only one in loyalty range. It is ridiculous.

The AI is even doing it when they are the only one in loyalty range. It is ridiculous.

The amount of grievances this phenomenon has caused me is immeasurable with the current grievance system, both in the literal game mechanics sense and an emotional sense. City-states get razed before meeting them, let alone having a chance to declare a protectorate war or war of liberation. Such grievances last even after finishing that game.

So it seems loyalty must go to below zero now for a city to flip, i.e the pressure on it must put it into negatives when the city's turn comes around. This is a severe nerf to cultists, spies and indie rock bands. Was it intended?

So it seems loyalty must go to below zero now for a city to flip, i.e the pressure on it must put it into negatives when the city's turn comes around. This is a severe nerf to cultists, spies and indie rock bands. Was it intended?
It seems like it might be that way. And that's a good thing, in my opinion.

It seems like it might be that way. And that's a good thing, in my opinion.

Yeah, basically cultists/spies/bands can flip a city faster, but can't just flip something deep in the empire.

But especially in dramatic ages, there's usually clusters of free cities, and they put enough pressure on nearby cities that you can still pretty aggressively chain flip even just using Bread and Circuses, never mind the more direct methods. Once you get a toe in the door, then you can really pry it open with the other tools.

Maybe I am just out of practice and so on, but I am really struggling with amenities in my MP game as Egypt after this patch. Seems like every city is at least -1 on Amenities, and I reckon part of that is probably because I've been forced Tall rather than Wide? Just seems like with amenity changes it's hard to keep on top of them even with Entertainment Complexes.

Is it still not fixed...?

i might fire up Endless Space 2 again then for some 4X action. no news on january update either

Maybe I am just out of practice and so on, but I am really struggling with amenities in my MP game as Egypt after this patch. Seems like every city is at least -1 on Amenities, and I reckon part of that is probably because I've been forced Tall rather than Wide? Just seems like with amenity changes it's hard to keep on top of them even with Entertainment Complexes.

They are harder to keep on top of, now. Classical Republic legacy card helps, but you will be straining without solid investment.

Is it still not fixed...?

i might fire up Endless Space 2 again then for some 4X action. no news on january update either

Still broken.

So cultists cannot lower the loyalty of Free cities. I tried, and instead it lowered the loyalty of MY city, 6 tiles away...

So yeah, definitely not starting another game once this buggy one ends.

Still broken.

So cultists cannot lower the loyalty of Free cities. I tried, and instead it lowered the loyalty of MY city, 6 tiles away...

So yeah, definitely not starting another game once this buggy one ends.

The solution looks very obvious to me: just make city states like capitals, aka can not be razed.... City states are a great addition after civ IV, and the current behaviour just nullifies that.

Oh well, time to splice some minor factions into my horatio dna :p

Top Bottom