Decent Playthrough?

Nick Scott

Chieftain
Can anyone link to a decent YouTube play-through? Most of the ones I've found are by generic YouTubers/streamers with little or no idea of earlier Civilization games and watching their inept attempts while waiting for the release is really frustrating :)

I don't have links on hand, but look for Filthy Robot's playthroughs. They aren't as entertaining, but he knows Civ.

The only downside to his is that he seems to not be taking forum feedback into account. I.E. he does make some incorrect assumptions about how things work that we've already figured out in here. Although some of that could also have been the time in which he put together his first videos.

Try Quill18's Rome LP. He's entertaining to watch and generally knows what he's doing. He's also a serious warmonger who ignores culture and wonders, which frustrates me as a culture player/builder, but he knows what he's doing and so far he's the only streamer I've found whose voice doesn't irritate me. :p

Try Quill18's Rome LP. He's entertaining to watch and generally knows what he's doing. He's also a serious warmonger who ignores culture and wonders, which frustrates me as a culture player/builder, but he knows what he's doing and so far he's the only streamer I've found whose voice doesn't irritate me. :p

Well, "serious warmonger" who forgets to upgrade his units, explore the map and build strategical encampments! He didn't build air power either!... :mad:

Ok, I recognise, my nick is MistyRonin and I'm a superduper-warmonger :(

Well, "serious warmonger" who forgets to upgrade his units, explore the map and build strategical encampments! He didn't build air power either!... :mad:

Ok, I recognise, my nick is MistyRonin and I'm a superduper-warmonger :(

Quill hasn't had the best game play this time with his videos and livestreams - some of that is getting used to the differences and some is just poor play. BUT! If you are looking for someone who will be entertaining just for his sheer enthusiasm for the genre and this new version, he's hard to beat. My wife doesn't like streams and let's plays in general, but Quill's enthusiasm rubs off on her.

Quill hasn't had the best game play this time with his videos and livestreams - some of that is getting used to the differences and some is just poor play. BUT! If you are looking for someone who will be entertaining just for his sheer enthusiasm for the genre and this new version, he's hard to beat. My wife doesn't like streams and let's plays in general, but Quill's enthusiasm rubs off on her.
Same here. I'm not a LP watcher generally, but since I can't play Civ6 myself watching Quill enthusiastically blunder through it is the next best thing. :D

Marbozir for sure. Filthy Robot is impressive too.

Marbozir seems to have the best understanding of the game mechanics, IMO. I'm about halfway through the Greece playthrough, it's well worth watching.

All the playthroughs has been disappointing, everyone I've seen has failed to research what is already known, so create really boring playthrough where you get to follow one person learn to play and unlucky for us, no one has been able to figure out everything.

So you follow one dude or another make the same mistakes again and again.

Maybe FitlhyRobot and Arumba's shared stream might make up for the single person viewpoint problem, but that stream is just two videos into the playthrough.

Second problem is that the AI on prince is not challenging, for anyone wanting warmongering, you do realize even the worst civ player can conquer the world with 3 archers and a warrior against the Prince AI... And even avoiding dominance victory the AI is not producing enough to compete, though it is annoying when going religious.

Watched all the streamers/youtubers and I agree that FilthyRobot and Marbozir have the most skill.

Quill is awesome but it always was my impression that he plays for entertainment first and regularly makes unwise decisions.
Not that it matters in this difficulty it might be even better for the streamer to play stupid so it is less stomping. But I agree that watching loads of braindead decisions can often be frustrating.

Edit: I feel some streamer should do a
"Sleeping Princess" difficulty = sleep 10 turns on start spot before you settle your first city. That might be like the only way to make the game challenging.

Agree about the Prince difficulty. Most of these lads usually play Deity or Emperor etc. Prince is too easy and even in a new iteration of Civ they'll be able to blunder through any poor decisions. Will be more fun watching them at their normal difficulty level.

To OP:
If you like click-fest like style watch all the aforementioned LP's. Otherwise just wait until the game is out and watch the devs.

I wouldn't suggest marbozir's Kongo lets play, he pretty much abuses any mechanics that aren't complete, I stopped watching the Congo playthrough after he bought someone else's Relic great work for 1 gold.

He also added a relic for free to a trade deal in the Greece playthrough but it was much later and didn't ruin that game as much.

I would definitely suggest Filthy Robot, he still has a civ5 mentality still stuck in his head, and knows less about the mechanics (he undervalues gold, builds too few districts when they cost 60p until they end up costing 250p or so) but in other areas he's great and he plays at a good pace - whilst still explaining his decisions (more so than people who play slower in fact).

I wouldn't suggest marbozir's Kongo lets play, he pretty much abuses any mechanics that aren't complete, I stopped watching the Congo playthrough after he bought someone else's Relic great work for 1 gold.

He also added a relic for free to a trade deal in the Greece playthrough but it was much later and didn't ruin that game as much.
Meh... you might not enjoy watching it, but I think it's good to look for bugs. Marbozir does a good job of both playing well and also showcasing a lot of mechanics and in general playing around with things.

I also recommend Filthy Robot videos but skip to maybe Days 5 or 6 because the first couple of attempts he was still unsure about many of the mechanics that we knew already, so I found them a bit of a slow painful watch. I think the Spain vid and onwards is when things pick up.

Someone needs to show the things that are still not finished in the game, so I don't begrudge Marbozir for doing so. It's not like he did what one particular streamer did in the earlier press release build and get the AI to trade all their cities for a luxury. He's also experiencing some crashing in the late game, which is somewhat worrying (I don't buy into the constant refrain of "it'll be fixed in release", I've heard this before and it's maybe a 50-50 shot). I'll definitely recommend him for an experience player who somewhat knows what he's doing.

Maybe I should give FilthyRobot another try. I got rather put off by his early videos where he jumped to wrong conclusions because he refused to read tooltips. I don't begrudge ignorance but absolute refusal to learn does irritate me.

Or you could go on twitch and look up civ 6... people are playing it right now.

With all the crashes really happening I wonder just how early a build this is they are playing with? Has anyone stated from the dev team? Those crashes could be machine oriented or just plain broke game features. hard to tell without getting it to crash on my own machine.

Top Bottom